Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 760 idle temps too high

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2010 2:54:20 AM

today i put together my new system and the only problem i've had so far is the cpu temperatures are far too high. it idles around 50c and when i play COD: Black Ops it goes up to about 70c. asus probe 2 gives me the alarm at 60c.

i've reseated the heat sink several times. i've thoroughly cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it several times being careful to not use too much or too little. i've also tried lowering the vcore but it was already around 1.1-1.2.

if i take both side panels off the case the idle temperature drops to around 36c but it spikes right back up when i load black ops. this makes me think it might be my case (lian li pc-k62) but my MB temperature stays around 30c.

i've searched the forums and i see a lot of people end up replacing the stock cooler so i ordered the cooler master 212 and more arctic silver.

but if anyone has any advice i would love to hear it.

November 30, 2010 6:04:04 AM

Well you could always check how your iarflow is. Cable managment tends to help.
This might drop you temps by a few degrees maybe more.
The i5 stock cooling sucks but should not bet getting to a 50c idle, if the tempature does not drop i would sugest buying a new cooler and dont worry its not your case(i hope so) it has a prety good cooling.

i hope this help a little :) 
November 30, 2010 7:00:34 AM

auzorann said:
today i put together my new system and the only problem i've had so far is the cpu temperatures are far too high. it idles around 50c and when i play COD: Black Ops it goes up to about 70c. asus probe 2 gives me the alarm at 60c.

i've reseated the heat sink several times. i've thoroughly cleaned the thermal paste and reapplied it several times being careful to not use too much or too little. i've also tried lowering the vcore but it was already around 1.1-1.2.

if i take both side panels off the case the idle temperature drops to around 36c but it spikes right back up when i load black ops. this makes me think it might be my case (lian li pc-k62) but my MB temperature stays around 30c.

i've searched the forums and i see a lot of people end up replacing the stock cooler so i ordered the cooler master 212 and more arctic silver.

but if anyone has any advice i would love to hear it.

Hmm this sounds more like graphics card temperatures. What are you using for detecting CPU temps? If so, post a screenshot please, maybe a misinterpretation?

Other things to rule out: Check to make sure RAM is getting proper voltage, etc. Check that the motherboard standoffs are all installed. Try another processor see if it causes same issue. Check RPM speeds of the CPU fan (both in idle and during Black Ops), could be either the fan itself or could be the CPU.
Related resources
November 30, 2010 3:25:12 PM

cpatel1987 said:
Hmm this sounds more like graphics card temperatures. What are you using for detecting CPU temps? If so, post a screenshot please, maybe a misinterpretation?

Other things to rule out: Check to make sure RAM is getting proper voltage, etc. Check that the motherboard standoffs are all installed. Try another processor see if it causes same issue. Check RPM speeds of the CPU fan (both in idle and during Black Ops), could be either the fan itself or could be the CPU.

that's exactly what i thought. i thought it was showing me GPU temps in place of CPU temps but i don't know.

all the standoffs came preinstalled and fit perfectly. i don't have another CPU try, unfortunately. RPM speeds don't seem to change much. i can see the RPM of the CPU fan and 1 chassis fan. the cpu stay around 2000 and the chassis fan stays around 1500.

i have ddr3 1600 ram but i have to manually set it to 1600. i left the voltage on auto. this doesn't seem to affect anything because if i load the default bios settings the temps are still the same. the default settings could be wrong though, i'm not sure.

i have all of my cables routed behind the motherboard where the right side panel is. airflow shouldn't be a problem in the case. i have 1 140mm front intake, 2 top 140mm exhaust and 1 120mm exhaust.

one thing i've noticed is that even after the CPU is supposedly running too hot, it's very cool to the touch. this thing hasn't even gotten warm as far as i can tell. nothing on this board heats up.

i'm using asus pc probe 2 (came with motherboard), real temp 3.60 and speedfan. speedfan doesn't work well with this motherboard it seems.

November 30, 2010 6:23:58 PM

Hmm well according to speedfan, your cpu temps check out. GPU should be that high. One other thing to check is the GPU's temperature monitoring software (if its Nvidia, you'll need to install ntune, if ATI, the catalyst should have it somewhere).

So the alarm you spoke of, is it from the program itself or from the actual board? Because I would then try setting the motherboard BIOS to alarm if the CPU hits these temperatures you speak of. I would also check in the BIOS to see what the CPU temp says, that is indeed always the most accurate reading.

Shut off all monitoring programs and try this also: http://download.cnet.com/BurnInTest-Standard/3000-2086_.... This test is used by Passmark (aka cpubenchmark.com).
November 30, 2010 6:54:16 PM

cpatel1987 said:
Hmm well according to speedfan, your cpu temps check out. GPU should be that high. One other thing to check is the GPU's temperature monitoring software (if its Nvidia, you'll need to install ntune, if ATI, the catalyst should have it somewhere).

So the alarm you spoke of, is it from the program itself or from the actual board? Because I would then try setting the motherboard BIOS to alarm if the CPU hits these temperatures you speak of. I would also check in the BIOS to see what the CPU temp says, that is indeed always the most accurate reading.

Shut off all monitoring programs and try this also: http://download.cnet.com/BurnInTest-Standard/3000-2086_.... This test is used by Passmark (aka cpubenchmark.com).

the alarm is from asus pc probe 2. it's set to 65c.

pc probe and the bios hardware monitor show about the same temperature.

after resetting the heat sink one more time the temperature is down to about 40c while online. i'm kinda thinking the heat sink doesn't seat well for some reason. it's almost like it's not clipped down tight enough even though it is installed correctly.

i tried to run prime95 but the cpu temperature shoots up to 70c pretty quickly so i stopped it.

i'll set the bios to alarm if the CPU gets too hot and see how that goes.

thanks
November 30, 2010 8:19:07 PM

cpatel1987 said:

the alarm is from asus pc probe 2. it's set to 65c.

pc probe and the bios hardware monitor show about the same temperature.

after resetting the heat sink one more time the temperature is down to about 40c while online. i'm kinda thinking the heat sink doesn't seat well for some reason. it's almost like it's not clipped down tight enough even though it is installed correctly.

i tried to run prime95 but the cpu temperature shoots up to 70c pretty quickly so i stopped it.

i'll set the bios to alarm if the CPU gets too hot and see how that goes.

thanks
December 1, 2010 2:00:40 AM

Hmm ya forgot to mention that but if this is your first build, it could be the push pin mechanism. Lol I myself absolutely can't stand the push pins, I'm an oddball and got the screw in bracket mechanism that thermaltake sells for my Core 2 Duo: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml.... Whats annoying is its kind of difficult to find a non push pin mechanism, mainly because replacing your processor would require taking the whole motherboard out of the case with the bracket mechanism, vs the push pin you can just take off. But the bracket is the absolute certain method for securing the heatsink, plus mine came prepasted with an even coating. Idles stay at 32c, never seen it go higher than 45c for me.
December 1, 2010 2:14:32 AM

cpatel1987 said:
Hmm ya forgot to mention that but if this is your first build, it could be the push pin mechanism. Lol I myself absolutely can't stand the push pins, I'm an oddball and got the screw in bracket mechanism that thermaltake sells for my Core 2 Duo: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml.... Whats annoying is its kind of difficult to find a non push pin mechanism, mainly because replacing your processor would require taking the whole motherboard out of the case with the bracket mechanism, vs the push pin you can just take off. But the bracket is the absolute certain method for securing the heatsink, plus mine came prepasted with an even coating. Idles stay at 32c, never seen it go higher than 45c for me.

it's not my first build. it's just the first time i've came across a problem like this. usually the thermal paste just needs to be replaced over time but this was a new one for me lol.

i bought a new cooler that has the bracket and back plate. i'm with you though, i've always hated those cheap push pin coolers.
December 3, 2010 11:04:18 PM

it seems the problem has been solved. the new cooler came in today and now the idle temperature is in the low 30s. while playing black ops its in the mid 40s and while running prime95 it's in the low 50s.

thanks for the replies!
December 12, 2010 5:51:32 PM

Which cooler did you go for??
December 12, 2010 5:53:30 PM

i bought the cooler master hyper 212 i believe it's called. it's a pretty big cooler but it's cheap. it does the job pretty well so far. idle temps range from the low to mid 30s. under load they're around 50.
December 13, 2010 5:21:46 PM

I haven't entirely read through all of the above so hopefully this hasn't been suggested already.

You could lower your voltage quite a bit more which I find helped my temps on my i5-760 a lot. With the stock cooler I get idle temps at 38-42c at stock clocks (Ambient around 20c w/ stock cooler), assuming your running stock clocks. As for voltage settings I run mine at 0.9875v on stock and this is Prime95 stable for at least 3 hours.

With voltage at 1.05625v I'm stable at 3.26GHz, so if your volts are up around 1.1-1.2v you should lower them, you could use the ASUS Turbo Evo software if your mobo is capable, you can constantly lower voltage inside windows while running Prime95 and if you get an error just put volts up a notch or 2 in the software and restart prime until you find somewhere stable for a few hours.
Hope this helps you further lower your temps.

Van
December 13, 2010 5:42:51 PM

van___ said:
I haven't entirely read through all of the above so hopefully this hasn't been suggested already.

You could lower your voltage quite a bit more which I find helped my temps on my i5-760 a lot. With the stock cooler I get idle temps at 38-42c at stock clocks (Ambient around 20c w/ stock cooler), assuming your running stock clocks. As for voltage settings I run mine at 0.9875v on stock and this is Prime95 stable for at least 3 hours.

With voltage at 1.05625v I'm stable at 3.26GHz, so if your volts are up around 1.1-1.2v you should lower them, you could use the ASUS Turbo Evo software if your mobo is capable, you can constantly lower voltage inside windows while running Prime95 and if you get an error just put volts up a notch or 2 in the software and restart prime until you find somewhere stable for a few hours.
Hope this helps you further lower your temps.

Van

very cool thank you.
!