Just built new Windows 7 64bit machine, only posts 50% of the time.

spee2k10

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hello, as in my title. I've just built a new windows 7 64bit home prem. machine for use as an HTPC, the problems I am having are as follow:-

Firstly, I should mention that one of the sticks of RAM I put in the PC was corrupted which caused all sorts of issues but on removing that a lot cleared up but I am still left with the following issues. (windows memory diagnostic also confirmed this stick has errors). Also with the bad stick of RAM out I have run the Hload (Heavy Load) stress testing program for in excess of 4 hours with no problems.

Also when I first powered on the system I had an old copy of windows XP on the HDD which started to load up, could this have somehow corrupted the motherboard as it is specifically designed for Win7/Vista?

Problems remaining:-

1. Powering on the system from a cold start results in a blank screen (No BIOS/POST Screen) then on powering down and trying again it works and proceeds to load windows.

2. When returning from sleep I get similar issues as above, the system hangs before the post screen, but sometimes it works.

3. Using windows reset or the motherboard reset button also makes it hang before the POST screen 50% of the time.

The system specification is as follows:-

CPU Intel E7500 Core2Duo 2.93 GHz

Mobo ASUS P5G41T-M LX

RAM OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (of which I am only using one stick as one is faulty according to windows memory diagnostic)

Graphics card EVGA GeForce GT 430 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

TV Card Hauppauge HVR1700 PCI-E

HDD Western Digital 2500YS 250GB SATA

PSU Antec 350Watt ATX

DVD Drive Pioneer OEM Writer

This looks to be a hardware fault, although I could be wrong.

My question is, which piece of hardware is it, could it be a bad motherboard or PSU, or would doing somthing like reflashing the BIOS work, or reformatting windows?

Thankyou for reading my post and any advice you can give!

Tom.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your PSU is very much not up to the task of powering this system. You need at least a 500w PSU (I would recommend a 650w or better to be honest).

Also, there is no way your previous XP install corrupted the motherboard. It simply doesn't work that way.

I strongly suggest you get a new (better, stronger) PSU. In the meantime, I suggest you remove your GT430 and use your integrated video controller. Not fancy, but should suffice until you can power the system properly.

Good luck!!!

spee2k10

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks COLGeek, Everywhere I have asked are comming back with the same conclusions, im going to be ordering a new one soon.

Thanks for your help

Tom.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Be sure to check out newegg.com for good deals. You can get some great PSUs for not a lot of $$$ if you look. How much do you have in mind for a budget?

The bottom line is that having insufficient power does all sorts of odd things to your system and can result in damaging components (thus the recommendation to remove your GPU for now). You have built a capable system, now you just need to power it better and you should be good to go.

WOO HOO!!!

spee2k10

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Yes i just hope I havent damaged any of the other components :(, funny how that one RAM stick is damaged, I very much doubt its a seperate issue. I just hope getting a new PSU will make the problems clear up... Ill keep you posted... If not the mothboard and CPU are going back... /Gulp

Thanks for your help and advice.

Tom

TRENDING THREADS