Need to find a video card to go with my core2quad

I'm currently running an old LGA 775 motherboard, with:
- Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

My plan is to ride out this system a little bit longer and then build a completely new system within a couple years, but I want to be able to upgrade my CPU to the highest level on that motherboard (which would be a Core 2 Quad), and find a video card that would nicely complement it.

The processor I'm looking at now is this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0328258

The video card I'm not too sure about, and this is where I need your help. I don't want any bottlenecking to occur, either through my CPU or GPU. There's no point in upgrading to a Core2Quad if my GPU is going to limit my power or upgrade to a super nice GPU if my Core2Quad will limit me as well.

All I'm asking is: What would be a great video card to go with that core2quad? Money is not an issue, but like I said previously I really don't want to buy a nice video card that will be limited by an older processor.

I was thinking about maybe a GeForce 250GTS, or is that too little/much power to go with the C2Q?
Someone mentioned going with a Radeon 5770.
1 answer Last reply
More about need find video card core2quad
  1. Every system built today has some type of bottleneck. There is no way around it. It's not just the CPU limiting the GPU or vice versa. Other components can cause a bottleneck within a system; be it the software not able to take advantage of multiple cores, slow hard drive read/writes, network transfer speeds, internet connections, etc... The point is, in a well tuned system, you won't notice the bottleneck.

In my opinion, with the possible exception of the highest level cards in SLI/Crossfire configurations, no graphic card solution is going to produce a noticeable bottleneck situation due to a quad-core processor such as the one you're looking at.

-Wolf sends
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics