Sign in with
Your question

Photo editing/gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2010 10:26:43 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: (£800-£1000)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo Editing (not pro), Movies, gaming(nothing major i got a console :/  ) , internet.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: Gibraltar

Parts Preferences: by brand or type . I dont want to be biased, my understanding of components is reletivaly decent, yet not between brands. NCIX tech tips has given me a good insight into all corsair comnponents, Ram(xms3), PSU(ax series) cooling (h50), Nvidia Graphics and i might aswell keep with them. Asus Mobo and Intel Processor.

Overclocking: Maybe to 4ghz if i choose such as i7 950

SLI or Crossfire: not in near future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, (been looking at Dell U2311H A01rev)

Additional Comments: my head hurts from all these weeks of forum searching.

i would like to take this opportunity, as this is my first post, to thank everyone that makes all of this possible, i have read endless amounts of threads here in the past an consider Tom's Hardware one of the best sites for 'computer talk'. KUDOS TO YOU EVERYONE!!

Ps. my biggest mind boggling issue is the whole i5 vs i7, dual vs triple memmory, i just dont know what to buy.

Please advise ,

thanks in advance,

Nige'

More about : photo editing gaming

November 30, 2010 10:57:53 AM

^ Your budget easily allows for including the i7, but have you checked out the AMD's 6-Core CPUs ??
They offer very good value for money and in many tasks have performance comparable to the i7s...
As for the RAM, Tri-Channel Vs Dual-Channel has very little effect on the performance, but when going with i7 9xx, it is better to take advantage of the available features(tri-channel controller)...
November 30, 2010 11:10:45 AM
!