Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 desktop display issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2010 2:49:49 PM

Hi, I recently had a problem with my display last night. After I exited Starcraft 2, my desktop screen was glitching (artifacts?). Here is a Youtube video that shows my problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqpT7UqYiFc

My graphics card is an ati 5770. I had just reformatted my computer and I have never seen this problem before. All of my graphics drivers are up to date. After restarting my computer, the problem was gone. I was wondering if this was some type of red flag, or just something that can happen in windows 7? I can still RMA my computer, but my time is running out.

I know this has nothing to do with the monitor because the glitches change depending on what I do on the desktop. I'm guessing it is some type of graphics card/drivers/windows 7 problem?

This was the first time this has happened, which was last night.

Ryan
October 6, 2010 5:05:18 PM

Hello,

I suspect your VRAM of your videocard has gone faulty. I had this problem in the past aswell. Please try this solution before RMA:

Download new fresh drivers from ATI website. Remove all old drivers via Windows. Then download DriverSweeper and run Windows in safemode and use DriverSweeper to clean only ATI Display drivers. After that reboot and your computer and install the freshly downloaded drivers.

Regards.

m
l
October 6, 2010 6:35:02 PM

yakmar said:
Hello,

I suspect your VRAM of your videocard has gone faulty. I had this problem in the past aswell. Please try this solution before RMA:

Download new fresh drivers from ATI website. Remove all old drivers via Windows. Then download DriverSweeper and run Windows in safemode and use DriverSweeper to clean only ATI Display drivers. After that reboot and your computer and install the freshly downloaded drivers.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply,

The reason I reformatted in the first place is because I tried driversweeper as you mentioned and removed all ATI entries. After I did that, The new drivers would not install. Are there specific entries I need to remove and not others? Also, this problem does not happen all the time. So far it has only happened once after exiting a game. I just want to get everything sorted out in time in case I need to RMA.

I don't know if this helps, but (as mentioned above) I used driversweeper to remove ATI entries because I was trying to reinstall/update drivers to fix the GSOD (Grey screen of death that was happening in SC2 but not in windows desktop) I was getting. That's how this whole dilemma started in the first place. Now I do a fresh reinstall and have new problems!

When I get home I will try driversweeper again, and post an update of what happens. I'm worried because even if I think it's "fixed" after doing this, with my luck everything will seem fine, then after the RMA date is over I will notice a glitchy desktop again...
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2010 2:58:54 PM

Just an update: I decided to RMA the computer. I have already wasted more than enough time with absolutely no success.

*edit (11/4/10): I have been using the new computer (same as the one I returned) they sent me for a few weeks now. I set it up the same way as the one I sent back. So far I've had no problems.
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:44:57 PM

Hello,

Good luck with your RMA. Since you have tried everything it's obviously clear that your card is faulty.

Regards.
m
l
!