Sign in with
Your question

HD 5850 Fan Not Spinning.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2010 2:53:12 PM

Alrighty then, so last night I noticed some fairly high GPU temps (58C during idle) so I decided to check some things.

I installed RivaTuner alongside Catalyst Control Center (CCC) because I had heard some things about the latest drivers so I was questioning them anyway. (Probably my first mistake) After doing the above, I decided to dust out my GPU Fan. When putting the card back in I simply forgot to plug in the 2 12v connectors. Once I realized what was wrong I quickly shut on the comp and plugged them back in.

CCC is now reporting my fan is spinning when it is in fact not. The fan itself seems like it's trying to spin but merely can't. The only way I am able to get the fan to spin is by completely removing any driver for the card and giving it a little nudge to get going. I am trying to revert back to my old version of the drivers to see if that has any affect.

Currently CCC is reporting my temperature to be at 45C and Fan speed @ 28% however the fan is still not spinning. I currently switch back to 10.2 CCC from 10.9 as I thought 10.9 was the problem.

Any ideas as to what could be the culprit?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

System Specs (No OCing done to any of the hardware):

i5-750
Sapphire Toxic HD 5850 1GB
G-Skill Ripjaws 4 GB Kit
Windows 7 64 Bit

More about : 5850 fan spinning

October 6, 2010 5:03:15 PM

Hello,

Did you tried this way?

Download new fresh drivers from ATI website. Remove all old drivers via Windows. Then download DriverSweeper and run Windows in safemode and use DriverSweeper to clean only ATI Display drivers. After that reboot your computer and install the new drivers.

If that doens't work. Try to update your BIOS of your motherboard.

Regards.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 5:06:32 PM

Updating the bios on the board is not going to change things. It is likely damage had resulted or the fan bearing is seized up a little bit. If it takes a nudge to get it going then chances are you can fix the problem with little effort.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 5:08:34 PM

Please be nice.

m
l
October 6, 2010 5:58:55 PM

nforce4max said:
Updating the bios on the board is not going to change things. It is likely damage had resulted or the fan bearing is seized up a little bit. If it takes a nudge to get it going then chances are you can fix the problem with little effort.

Hello,

Oviously you haven't installed videocards before.

Regards.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 6:11:05 PM

yakmar said:
Hello,

Oviously you haven't installed videocards before.

Regards.

Stares at my rather large collection of over 50 various cards. I even got ISA and a few AGP cards around along with a pile of PCI cards. I am sick of noobs like you, the only thing the mainboard bios has to deal with cards is being able to boot them and if they are booting into windows then it is pointless to update unless it is a fix for some other issue or update micro code for newer cpus. Got two rare EVGA 7900GTX Duo that were $1k each back in their days.
m
l
October 6, 2010 6:26:56 PM

Hello,

I am not going to bother comment on you. Should i praise you as a king? You do not know how to solve problems prior after installing. And for your information, the motherboard does add value to the card. And what's the use of your history good for? Like i want to know that.

Happy with your black screens in the future.

This discussion ends here.

Regards.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 6, 2010 7:14:09 PM

yakmar said:
Hello,

I am not going to bother comment on you. Should i praise you as a king? You do not know how to solve problems prior after installing. And for your information, the motherboard does add value to the card. And what's the use of your history good for? Like i want to know that.

Happy with your black screens in the future.

This discussion ends here.

Regards.

:non: 

Bad advice warrants trolling. I hope that you are one day made humble.
m
l
!