Sandy Bridge Probelm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtread66

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
How bad is this problem with Sandy Bridge? Everyone says just to use the 6s instead of the 3s....?

If this is something defective, why would anybody want it?

I'm planning to build a multipurpose machine, but mostly focused on fast (real-time) video production, HD eventually but not at present. I was looking at the I7-2600K as my processor of choice, but now the warnings have me concerned.

Also, does anybody know if the old Premiere Pro 2.0 will run under 64Bit Windows 7?

Thanks

Solution
Note: Sandy Bridge processors are fine. The problem is with the SATA2 3Gbps controller on the Cougar Point H67/P67 chipset.

People want it because under most circumstances, Sandy Bridge processors are the fastest you can get and they are cheap compared to the competition.

Intel has been on the ball regarding the chipset issue and the recall, and the board manufacturers are following suit. It is possible that we'll see limited quantities of the fixed boards available late next week.

You can buy now and rejoice in the superlative performance of Sandy Bridge while awaiting a new fixed board to RMA, or you can wait until the fixed boards are available and grab one then. I can tell you that I'm glad I was one of the early adopters...

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
i5-2500K is more than the i7-2600K on the price to performance ratio. Sandy Bridge will be fixed in April and to save money even further, if you don't plan to overclock then you don't need the 'K' versions as the only difference is that they have unlocked multipliers. Just as a 'Black Edition' processor from AMD...

Note: Sandy Bridge processors are fine. The problem is with the SATA2 3Gbps controller on the Cougar Point H67/P67 chipset.

People want it because under most circumstances, Sandy Bridge processors are the fastest you can get and they are cheap compared to the competition.

Intel has been on the ball regarding the chipset issue and the recall, and the board manufacturers are following suit. It is possible that we'll see limited quantities of the fixed boards available late next week.

You can buy now and rejoice in the superlative performance of Sandy Bridge while awaiting a new fixed board to RMA, or you can wait until the fixed boards are available and grab one then. I can tell you that I'm glad I was one of the early adopters despite the recall -- my Sandy Bridge system has been a blast to run this past month.

Solution

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.