On-board video card sound

mugabuga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I'm going to be using a GTX 560 for audio, and was wondering, does this card have built-in audio, and if so, how would I use headphones with it? Or, should I just use the onboard sound on my motherboard?

Solution
If it has HDMI then it can pass audio from the video card to the monitor/TV. It's only good for that purpose. If you need general audio inputs and outputs, you should use your motherboard. If the audio chipset on your motherboard is not good enough for you, then you can buy a PCI soundcard expansion. Most people find the onboard audio to be satisfactory for all daily needs and only change it because they are audiophiles or need something more professional for recording and production purposes.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
If it has HDMI then it can pass audio from the video card to the monitor/TV. It's only good for that purpose. If you need general audio inputs and outputs, you should use your motherboard. If the audio chipset on your motherboard is not good enough for you, then you can buy a PCI soundcard expansion. Most people find the onboard audio to be satisfactory for all daily needs and only change it because they are audiophiles or need something more professional for recording and production purposes.

Solution

A GeForce GTX 560 Ti does not have built-in audio. It only has HD Audio pass-through on its HDMI port.

Just use the motherboard's onboard audio because that is what gets passed through the HDMI port.