Advice for new build

mj12agent0014

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hey all, first time posting here! Love the site! Anyway, I'm in the market for a new rig and I want to go all out. First off, this is will be a hardcore gaming PC - I have a decent amount of cash to spend, but not tons to just throw away. I was thinking maybe around the $3000 mark is where I want to be. I'm also willing to wait, if you think there is new hardware coming out soon that I should wait for. I have done a little research, but now want the advice of others!

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Game at max settings at 2560x1600 resolution (30 inch monitor)
Support 1 or 2 secondary monitors
Be able to overclock CPU easily

So, to accomplish this, I'm looking at running 2x GTX 580's in SLI with room for a third to run in 3 way SLI in the future. I have figured out most of the small details of the build, but I need help picking out a motherboard. Essentially, here's what I would like to see on the board:
Usb 3.0
Sata 6gb/s (plan on running 2 SSDs in raid 0 or picking up a RevoDrive)
At least 2 x16 pci express slots (I think pci express 2.0 should be fine, don't know much about the advantages of 3.0)
Third x8 pci express slot for possible third video card (unless they make boards with 3 x16, but I don't think they do)
Support 3-way SLI
Support decent RAM OC options and hold at least 12 gigs
Easy CPU overclocking tools

Any advice you all have would be great! I've looked at some boards but can't seem to find the perfect one. Also, cant decide if I should be going for Z68 or X58 for my north bridge.

Finally, the CPU I am looking at is the new Sandybridge Core i7-2600K 3.4gHz which I will then OC to much higher with either a high end fan or maybe even a small water cooling system. Is this the best option I have short of tossing $1,000 down for the extreme edition? I didn't think it was really worth all that money.

Anyway, I think I am rambling on too much now! I hope you all can help me out here and I appreciate the feedback! I'll be around if you have any questions on what I'm asking/looking for as well. Thanks!

What is your power supply brand and specs? If it's old or less then 750 watts, you should also budget for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051&cm_sp=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-371-051. And no, you don't need the extreme edition. I expect cpu prices to come down during black friday or right after the holidays if you can wait.

mj12agent0014

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Well, I've been doing some more research and I'm even more confused lol. I was looking at the Intel chipsets and the newer ones such as P67 and the Z68 only support dual channel memory, and only have one x16 lane for PCI express. But, as far as I can tell, they are the only ones that support the new SandyBridge processors. So, it looks like I either have to go with an older chipset (and therefor an older processor) to get triple channel and two x16 PCI lanes for my video cards. Anyone have more info on this or know if any new chipsets are coming out that support the new processors AND have triple channel and 2 x16 PCI slots?

mj12agent0014

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Actually, I think answered my own question. X79 chipset that will be released soon has quad channel memory and a lot of other new features. I think I will hold out until that releases.

mj12agent0014

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I think I should wait out for the SB-E socket 2011 boards. The 2600k looks nice enough but I figure if I'm going to be spending this much cash, I might as well wait for the best. I haven't seen numbers for it yet, but I'm guessing the quad-channel RAM and extra lanes for PCI (supporting 2 x16) will bring me some amazing power.