Sign in with
Your question

I'm back but its a good problem to have.

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2010 1:19:58 PM

I asked for some input on a build few weeks ago, but the holiday sales have breathed new life into my budget.

So far I've got:
Coolermaster Case + HDD= $60
Core i5 760= Free
4gb G.SKill Ripjaw=$50
Corsair 550w=$55

So right now I've got $165 into my build. I was going to use the extra budget for a nice gaming mouse/keyboard, however I think I'll getter value by either

A) Upgrading to high level video card (which one?)
B) Buying a SSD (maybe a 60gb)

So which one would you go for? FYI, my original choice for gpu was an OC 6850 for a 1920 x 1080 gaming res.

Thanks guys!

More about : back good problem

November 30, 2010 2:26:47 PM

I would suggest a 90GB SSD (Vertex2 or any with SanDisk cntrlr) ... Win7 is much more piggy than XP and you will need some extra free space (for management).

I just got a CoolerMaster STORM gaming mouse (and I don't even game) ... VERY nice ... scads better than any mse I have ever owned (since the late 1980's).

m
l
December 1, 2010 9:45:30 PM

If you should decide to go for a 460 then DO pay the few extra dollars for the 1GB version !!!

It is a MUCH better card (compare all the detailed specs) ... just a few more dollars.

AND ... I'm going to stick to my guns and opine that 64GB is just a little too tight, for a boot/utils/apps drive. ... Go for 80~90 gigabytes, even if you have to opt for a slower SSD.

(given the same clock rates, anyway)

m
l
Related resources
!