Sign in with
Your question

Freezing PC and Bios slowdown...

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2010 2:23:31 PM

Hi everybody, Im new to the forum, and as i saw many threads that you guys resolved i wondered if u can help me too. I might ask sorry if i cant exprime very well, im still a student, and im from Italy btw.

Here my problem:
1 month ago i sent my pc to a Pc support shop that i trust beacause it Booted up 4 on 10 tries or just freezes. They told me that the motherboard and the 1Gb RAM got damaged so they told me to change them.

My OLD pc specs:
Motherboard - Asrock Alivedual ESata2
CPU - AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.30Ghz
GPU - Nvidia 9500GT 1Gb DDR2
RAM - 3Gb (2Gb stick + 1Gb stick)
HDD - Primary IDE 80Gb
HDD - Secondary IDE 250Gb

HDD are both a old (5-6 year lifetime)

When i ordered the new pieces i also ordered a new GPU too.

My NEW pc specs:
Motherboard - Asrock N68C-S UCC
CPU - AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.30Ghz
GPU- Nvidia GTS450 1Gb DDR2
RAM - 3Gb (same as before, but new 1Gb stick)

I forgot to say that i have a 500watt PSU and that im running on Windows 7 32bit System.
The actual problem is that the Pc sometimes freezes if i try to play some games (it freezes randomly, after 2 to 30 mins, sometimes doesnt) or that sometimes Bios Boot Up slow downs at "AUTO-DETECTING PRIMARY IDE MASTER" and "AUTO-DETECTING SECONDARY IDE SLAVE" so i thought it was a IDE connector problem, so i changed it, but nothing changed, so now im supposing HDD are damaged (HOPE NOT!!)
Im also suffering O/S random stuttering (it freezes for 2 sec max) very rarely and randomly.
I tryed to Run a virus Scan but nothing.
Just to make info more precise, all my programms/games and others are installed on the secondary HDD (250Gb one) and O/S with all its files on the 80Gb one.

Thats all i think, i tryed to put all info. Now i just hope that somebody can help me,

Cheers Nadeox1

More about : freezing bios slowdown

a b B Homebuilt system
November 30, 2010 11:05:19 PM

Welcome, Newcomer. First, remove or disconnect from power the following:

1. 1 GB RAM stick
2. Optical drives (CD/DVD)
3. USB devices
4. Slave HDD

Now, turn on your system. Did the problem repeat itself? If not, monitor the performance in Windows for an hour. If the problem happened again, switch your RAM sticks from the 2GB to the 1GB, and try again.

If the problem persists, swap your HDD (even though the slave drive may not have an OS). Any changes?
December 1, 2010 8:47:57 AM

Thx for replaying, i tryed and nothing changed.
The problem is only when i play somegames like Mafia 2, Gta iv etc that continuosly load from HDD, yesterday i defragged slave HDD and after 2 hours windows didnt freeze, maybe its a GPU failure (Its a new gpu, 3 week lifetime, and still on warranty)?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 7:08:18 PM

Ok, so after the defrag, your computer doesn't freeze. Do you think the problem is solved? Or are you still seeing the HDD error messages in POST?

Typical order of components that cause freezing:
1. RAM
2. GPU
3. PSU

Note that these parts may not be failing due to defect, heat can impact all of these components very easily. So ensure you have adequate cooling, too.

Download and install the following software:

1. Primie95
2. CPU-Z
3. HWMonitor
4. Furmark

Open Prime95 and run a "blend" test. This will put 100% load on your CPU. While the P95 test is running, open CPU-Z, then HWMonitor. CPU-Z has several tabs, the important one for now is Memory. If the Memory tab displays RAM settings that seem questionable to you, post here with your question.

Next, HWMonitor will be monitoring your system temps. This is crucial in finding anything that is running too hot. Keep in mind that while P95 is running a blend test, your CPU will be hotter than you may be used to; this is ok.

To stress test your GPU, run FurMark . This will do to your GPU what P95 does to your CPU. It is not uncommon for your GPU to reach 85°. Let the test run for about 30 minutes.

Post back with HWMonitor readings and the results of FurMark.
!