Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply powerful enough for a GTX 570?

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2011 2:01:56 AM

I have a OCZ StealthXStream 600 (model ocz600sxs) and I'm trying to figure out if it's powerful enough to run a GTX 570. I know I have enough wattage for all of my components, I'm just not sure if I have enough amps.

This review states that the pcie connectors don't have dedicated rails. It says:

Quote:

This power supply has four virtual rails, divided like this:

* +12V1 (yellow wire with blue stripe): ATX12V connector labeled as “CPU1”.
* +12V2 (yellow wire with green stripe): ATX12V connector labeled as “CPU2”.
* +12V3 (solid yellow wire): Main motherboard cable and all peripheral connectors.
* +12V4 (yellow wire with black stripe): Video card auxiliary power connectors.

However, according to this document it looks like the pcie connectors are on separate rails, unless I'm not reading it correctly. It appears that one pcie plug is connected to the 12v4 rail and the other is connected to the 12v2 rail. If the second document is correct it looks like that would mean the pcie power connectors each have their own dedicated rails, right? So which one is correct?
February 26, 2011 2:12:21 AM

I forgot to ask this. According to wikipedia a 6 pin power connector can output a maximum of 75 watts. That would mean each 6 pin connector would need 6.25 amps then because amps = watts / volts. If that's true then that's well below the 18 amps that each rail provides so it should be fine I would think.
m
l
February 26, 2011 2:14:16 AM

The Virtual rails is divied in to section so certin componets wont lose power and will have enough to run it. Theres only 1 acturally rail that is controlled by a chip on the psu motherboard. The power suply unit has only one rail that i can see from what you have put down. The powersupply is not enough to run gtx 570 becuase the powersupply has only 12v 18amps but you need 12v 38 amps to run the graphics card at full speed
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2011 2:35:54 AM

ace700 said:
The Virtual rails is divied in to section so certin componets wont lose power and will have enough to run it. Theres only 1 acturally rail that is controlled by a chip on the psu motherboard. The power suply unit has only one rail that i can see from what you have put down. The powersupply is not enough to run gtx 570 becuase the powersupply has only 12v 18amps but you need 12v 38 amps to run the graphics card at full speed

So this picture doesn't mean that each rail gets 18 amps then, it's actually saying the 18 amps is split among them?
m
l
February 26, 2011 2:40:02 AM

Quote:
Yes your psu is enough. The 75 is just through the slots a psu can produce another 250w through the connectors per gpu as well if your card requires it.

Each rail is monitored by a OCP CHIP. The total you see on the 12v Devide it by 12 to get the total the OCP chips are set at. So look at the back of your psu. It will have a total W under the 12v. That total Devide by 12v. You will find your psu got enough to pull that gpu with ease

Thanks for the response, that makes me feel better. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go out and buy a new power supply yet.
m
l
a c 141 ) Power supply
February 26, 2011 2:53:24 AM

Stop worrying and plug it in :) 
m
l
February 26, 2011 7:08:06 PM

the_seeker said:
So this picture doesn't mean that each rail gets 18 amps then, it's actually saying the 18 amps is split among them?

no each 12v virtual rail gets 18 amps witch is not enouhg to run the graphics card. my best best is try to use the graphics card if you already bought it and see if your computer will turn on
m
l
February 26, 2011 7:09:59 PM

Quote:
445/12=37A

^A 570 in a power hungry system need 35A at full load.
And that's theoretical.

Your psu can produce 37A. So its fine.

yeah that is total amps the power supply can produce. You are forgetting that the mother board takes i belive 12 amps to run. i could be worng on how much amps is needed for the motherboard
m
l
!