Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disabling the touchpad

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 9:18:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Aaaargh! One of those problems you feel you should be able to solve
easily!!! Been googling with no luck.

I have a Microstar laptop with XP installed on it, and a MS Optical
Wheel mouse, plug into the PS/2 port, with the green USB->PS/2
adapter. I have the up-to-date mouse drivers installed.

Naturally, when I type, I accidently hit the touchpad from time to
time, sending the cursor somewhere I don't want it. How can I disable
the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--

More about : disabling touchpad

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 9:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:18:06 GMT, Deep Foiled Malls
<deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:

>Aaaargh! One of those problems you feel you should be able to solve
>easily!!! Been googling with no luck.
>
>I have a Microstar laptop with XP installed on it, and a MS Optical
>Wheel mouse, plug into the PS/2 port, with the green USB->PS/2
>adapter. I have the up-to-date mouse drivers installed.
>
>Naturally, when I type, I accidently hit the touchpad from time to
>time, sending the cursor somewhere I don't want it. How can I disable
>the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in?


Don't feel bad, as there's no facility for what u want to do. However,
there should be a setting there on the touchpad against accidental
activation while ur typing. U may have to download the lastest driver
for the touchpad.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 9:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My Compaq laptop has a feature called "External mouse overrides
built-in Touchpad" under a tab called "More Features." Try looking for
that under Mouse Properties.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2005 9:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Cut a small pad out of a material that will not allow yout touchpad to
detect your finger though, possibly a piece of thin rubber padding, and
place it on the pad. This way, nothing you do, will cause the touchpad
to react.

That's the ghetto way...

Otherwise, there are normally sensitivity controls in the Control
Panel>Mouse. Good luck!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 3:34:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:
> I have just cut out a square of plastic and placed it over the pad.
> This is about as crude a solution as I can think of, and can't
believe
> I need to do that for a new laptop!!!

Believe it. The folks who make the design decisions clearly aren't
touch-typists. Instead, they're simply copycats -- when the
competition runs off a cliff like mythical lemmings, they follow the
herd.

Even IBM, legend for approximating typeable keyboards, has been
infected. The majority of their new laptops feature the touchpad
obstacle.

I'm all for choice. It wouldn't take much for laptop engineers to make
the touchpad, trackpoint, and blasted wristguard/palmrest completely
optional, rather than forcing us to accept their world view along with
their awful keyboards.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 6:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 4 Feb 2005 16:40:35 -0800, "PunterPFC" <punterfpc@gmail.com> wrote:

>Cut a small pad out of a material that will not allow yout touchpad to
>detect your finger though, possibly a piece of thin rubber padding, and
>place it on the pad. This way, nothing you do, will cause the touchpad
>to react.
>
>That's the ghetto way...

I have just cut out a square of plastic and placed it over the pad.
This is about as crude a solution as I can think of, and can't believe
I need to do that for a new laptop!!!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 2:49:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 5 Feb 2005 12:34:17 -0800, "Jeff Sutter" <lurkeroo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Deep Foiled Malls wrote:
>> I have just cut out a square of plastic and placed it over the pad.
>> This is about as crude a solution as I can think of, and can't
>believe
>> I need to do that for a new laptop!!!
>
>Believe it. The folks who make the design decisions clearly aren't
>touch-typists. Instead, they're simply copycats -- when the
>competition runs off a cliff like mythical lemmings, they follow the
>herd.
>
>Even IBM, legend for approximating typeable keyboards, has been
>infected. The majority of their new laptops feature the touchpad
>obstacle.
>
>I'm all for choice. It wouldn't take much for laptop engineers to make
>the touchpad, trackpoint, and blasted wristguard/palmrest completely
>optional, rather than forcing us to accept their world view along with
>their awful keyboards.

And while they're at it, move the Fn key up into the top corner
somewhere, along with Caps Lock key, and add 4 extra buttons in easy
reach for Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---
--
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 2:24:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jeff wrote:
<<Even IBM, legend for approximating typeable keyboards, has been
infected. The majority of their new laptops feature the touchpad
obstacle>>

Ah, but Big Blue *did* provide for a simple little icon in the Thinkpad
taskbar that will allow you to switch off the touchpad, or the trackpoint
stick for that matter, at a single click. That sort of thing is what makes
the difference between Thinkpads and other laptops.

Schwep
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 9, 2005 12:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Frank Schweppe wrote:

> Ah, but Big Blue *did* provide for a simple little icon in the Thinkpad
> taskbar that will allow you to switch off the touchpad, or the trackpoint
> stick for that matter, at a single click. That sort of thing is what makes
> the difference between Thinkpads and other laptops.

And let's not forget that IBM offers the Thinkpad palmrest WITHOUT the
touchpad as a customer replaceable part for the price of 10
euros/dollars. Now that's what makes the difference!

Stavros
!