Solved

Power Lead AGP Card

I have purchased a GeForce FX550 AGP card to update my video, it requires a two lead power and my mother board has no two lead power, there is a three lead power next to it I used for an additonal fan, so does this mean I cannot make it work?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power lead card
  1. Best answer
    I am not aware of any Graphics cards that need a 2 lead power. Most AGP cards that need external power have a 4 pin molex that is supplied directly from the PSU. If there is a two pin power header on the card it is usually for a cooling fan on the heatsink.
  2. Think your a bit confused, the two pins on the graphics card are power for the onboard fan that should be on the fx 550 card.
  3. Shaun o said:
    Think your a bit confused, the two pins on the graphics card are power for the onboard fan that should be on the fx 550 card.

IT IS A HEAT SINK CARD NO FAN, BUT THE MANUAL SAYS CONNECT POWER CORD, SO I WILL INSTALL AND SEE IF IT WORKS I TOO THOUGHT THE POWER FOR THE CARD CAME FROM THE SLOT. :bounce:
  4. Heatsink without fan confirms it is a fan connection on the card.
  5. Some fx 550 cards had up rated passive cooling solutions, but because the board was OEM by Nvidia.
    Venors had a choice of using a fan solution or a passive after market design of there own making.

In any case the pins were left on since it was OEM.
  6. You were all correct no power lead required ( I swear the instructions call for one could have been wrote when it came with a fan), and after tweaking all the audio componets I have sound. Still cannot go above 1280 x 720 in the screen settings, ie no 1920 x 1080 it has jitter issues at that setting and refresh is set at 60Hz, no way to change it. But overall happy with new video card
  7. Best answer selected by swmccutcheon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Geforce Power Components