HD 5770 or GTS 450 ?

ares1214

Splendid
Id go with the 5770, but it depends. With 5770's for the same price, or 10$ being found pretty easily, and the GTS 450 having so so performance (loses to the 5750 a decent bit at higher resolutions and higher AA), id say the 5770 is better buy. Unless you either have intrest in CUDA, or dont like AMD drivers. They are pretty hard cards to decide between. With the GTS 450, you have the promise of driver updates increasing performance, with the 5770, you know you are going to get better performance now. What res are you at?

ares1214

Splendid

Wow...2 seconds after, thats new... :lol: Toms review might be more helpful if your at the drawing conclusions on your own point:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf106-radeon-hd-5750,2734.html

Maybe it’s the fact that we’re all jacked up on Mountain Dew. Maybe it’s the fact that we’re used to talking about more enthusiast-class graphics products. Or maybe it’s the fact that last generation’s cards still make for good gaming solutions. Whatever the reason, it’s genuinely difficult to get excited about something we saw from AMD 11 freaking months ago, priced to match.

But I’m not going to limit my nerd rage to the GeForce GTS 450. Even AMD’s Radeon HD 5750 is a tough sell if you’re already rocking an older G92-based card or a Radeon HD 4850. You can find previous-generation products from both AMD and Nvidia selling brand new for $90 bucks or so. If you’re a cash-strapped gamer looking for legit value, I don’t see any problem buying up those boards on the cheap until they’re no longer available.

Thats basically their conclusion. Basically, the GTS 250 and 4850 just wont die, and they are mad it coming almost a year late and not really improving on much for the price.

Does it? When? If you read the Xbit review it seems the 5770 is the lessor card.

ares1214

Splendid

Call%20of%20Duty%201280.png

Call%20of%20Duty%201920.png

Notice a difference? Goes from beating 5750 at low res, and doing good with no AA, to losing at HD and AA. Its a pattern i noticed the whole time. Going in order, Crysis it just down right loses, same with AVP, DiRT 2:

DiRT%202%201920.png

Illustrates it pretty well as it does good with no AA, but then loses when its turned on, BFBC2 it loses at higher resolutions:

Battlefield%20Bad%20Company%202%201280.png

Battlefield%20Bad%20Company%202%201920.png

And then JC2 it beats the 5750 fair and square. But overall, im not really impressed with it at higher res. If your going no AA, or below 1600x900, then go for it, but taking in the fact it has lower performance than the 5770, and even 5750 at times, and costs the same, or 10$ less, its a hard sell for me. Maybe with price drops and driver updates.

ares1214

Splendid

Xbit is a site trusted by many just because they use higher levels of details than THG used and so the results don't go in your favour I can understand why you don't want accept their results. You'll really hate what they said in their summing up as well.

Summing up the results of our tests, we can say we are impressed with the performance of the GeForce GTS 450 considering that it comes from the below-$140 product category. Priced comparably to the Radeon HD 5750, the new card is quite competitive to the more advanced Radeon HD 5770 and, occasionally, even to the Radeon HD 5830.

ares1214

Splendid
Id take anandtech over all of them, even though they sometime give higher leads to NV. Ive just noticed it occasionally that say the xxx from NV beats the yyy from AMD more at Anandtech than Toms. Maybe its just me, or maybe its just how it is. Also, im assuming customer is US? So euro prices dont really matter here. They matter, just no here. :lol: The fact Xbit put it even higher than the 5830 is BS. 5770, that i can see it being beat occasionally, but it shouldnt be considered faster than a 5830, not when it loses to the 5750 sometimes.

What I find interesting is that both THG and Anand only run 4x AA and no AF which is a bit odd considering that so much was being made about how DX10 and 11 would make the using of higher levels of AA and AF easier on the hardware and yet you seem to prefer the tests where low levels are used on these new spangly cards.

ares1214

Splendid

I didnt say high, i said higher. If Toms give the 480 a 15% lead, Anandtech gave it a 20%. Maybe they are using better drivers, i just always see bigger differences when NV does win.

Everything i have read says the 450 is the better card and its cheaper than a 5770 as well.
I refused to buy a 5770 on price alone as it was over priced at launch for what it is.
A decent 5770, by which i mean something like the MSI hawk will in the UK cost you about £135. The ASUS top 450 which is a better card than the MSI Hawk will cost about £117.
However the issue that causes the most problems when looking at the top performing 450/5770 cards is that the 460 768mb card can be had for less than £10 more.
The stock cards are obviously that bit cheaper with the 450 around £95 while the 5770 is more like £110 again price would sway me to the 450.
Obviously thats just based on a UK price point but thats where i am so thats what i can use.

Mactronix :)

ares1214

Splendid

I think Nvidia is more popular, and also priced better in the UK and europe. Here in the US, the 5770 and 450 either cost the same including MIR, or the 5770 only costs 10$ more. The 5770 outperforms the 450 no matter what continent your on though.

To be honest there isnt a lot in it performance wise but in the reviews I have read the 450 comes out on top by the numbers. It isnt anything you would actually notice in real life though so its down to price/package/warranty as far as i am concerned.
The games i play are favoured by the 450 and i have never run an Nvidia card before so im waiting for the 6 series launch to see what happens price wise before i upgrade the second house PC.
Im leaning towards a 450 to be honest but the 460 would come into it if the planned price cuts get it down to a price where its just silly not to. that way i can experiment with running an Nvidia card on a system that dosent matter that much if i dont like it. Bit of an experiment if you will.

Mactronix :)

ares1214

Splendid

In most of the toms, anandtech, and i think hc tests, the GTS 450 came out with 5750 performance, occasionally tying the 5770. Not overcoming it. I also saw an interesting article on its scaling:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/09/14/nvidia_geforce_gts_450_sli_video_card_review/9

Hard generally doesnt sway one side or the other, this one seems a bit judgemental of NV, but still, results are results.