I have a desktop computer with the following config:

- Intel i5 3.3GHZ
- Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard (B3)
- Geforce GTX 275
- Creative Sound Card
- 4 GB RAM
- Windows 7 (64-bit)
- 2 TB HDD
- Cooler Master PSU (forgetting model no.)

I have been using my pc for close to eight months and have had no problems so far. I have played numerious games and things have been good.

Yesterday at night I was just browsing the web when my pc hung up. I was surprised. But after I tried to reboot things went haywire.

After powering off and on, the system would shut off for a few seconds and then turn on again and then bios gave an error message "overclocking failed, please check bios setting (something)". I have not overclocked my pc. After getting into bios if I get out, windows 7 would start booting but in 2 seconds my pc would stop responding.

Later my pc failed to bootup, nothing happens on screen. In the motherboard, the red light CPU Indicator would be on all the time. I am puzzled, what should I do ? Sometimes it does boot but after giving overclock error, when windows boots it hangs instantly. I tried cleaning up the ram etc but no success.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

More about : p8p67 pro boot problem

October 31, 2011 11:14:58 AM

Did you try to reset the bios by removing the battery of the MoBo for a few minutes (disconnect power to the PC before you do it)?
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2011 11:21:32 AM

My first guess is that the PSU isn't supplying enough voltage to your CPU (just a guess at this point). It's possible that the mobo is draging down the voltage in the circuitry of the CPU, but yet again just a guess at this point.

There a couple of things you can do to try and isolate your issue(s):

* Pull the CMOS Battery and replace it and see if that helps.
* Power the system off and unplug the PSU from the wall. Try pulling and reconnecting all of your power connections from the PSU to all of your parts (24 pin mobo, GPU, CPU, etc.). Than try re-powering up the system.
* Double check all of your Front Panel connectors and make sure they are in the right spots and not all gummed up with lint or some other stuff.

If you still have similar issues:
* Try using just 1 RAM stick for now, this will lower your load on your system (which this isn't much, but every little might help).
* If you have 2 DVD's (or any combination of optical drives), just unplug the power from all of them except one incase you need to use one for a windows repair.

Continue on:
* You might consider checking out to see if your CPU thermal paste is/has moved onto the mobo (not saying it is, but it's something to check out). You will need to clean the CPU and CPU/HSF of the residue and install a fresh amount of thermal paste, so be aware of this. If you don't have any extra thermal paste around, just inspect around the CPU and see if you can see any excess on the mobo.
* You can take your mobo out of your system and place on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well). Than try and power the system on, you might have a loose screw hanging around in the case and has worked itself onto some part of the mobo and/or your getting a short in the mobo somewhere.
* I'd try another PSU, if you have one around or borrow from a buddy if you can. This would possibly eliminate any PSU issues that might/might not be present.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 100 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 7:48:58 AM

jackgreat said:
Hi Guys,

I have a desktop computer with the following config:

- Intel i5 3.3GHZ
- Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard (B3)
- Geforce GTX 275
- Creative Sound Card
- 4 GB RAM
- Windows 7 (64-bit)
- 2 TB HDD
- Cooler Master PSU (forgetting model no.)

I have been using my pc for close to eight months and have had no problems so far. I have played numerious games and things have been good.

Yesterday at night I was just browsing the web when my pc hung up. I was surprised. But after I tried to reboot things went haywire.

After powering off and on, the system would shut off for a few seconds and then turn on again and then bios gave an error message "overclocking failed, please check bios setting (something)". I have not overclocked my pc. After getting into bios if I get out, windows 7 would start booting but in 2 seconds my pc would stop responding.

Later my pc failed to bootup, nothing happens on screen. In the motherboard, the red light CPU Indicator would be on all the time. I am puzzled, what should I do ? Sometimes it does boot but after giving overclock error, when windows boots it hangs instantly. I tried cleaning up the ram etc but no success.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

As the system was working fine and is now generating failed boot messages I would check the memory modules are still okay. Either by running a stress test utility on each module individually or by trying the modules in another system.
m
l
November 2, 2011 6:34:12 AM

lunyone said:
My first guess is that the PSU isn't supplying enough voltage to your CPU (just a guess at this point). It's possible that the mobo is draging down the voltage in the circuitry of the CPU, but yet again just a guess at this point.

There a couple of things you can do to try and isolate your issue(s):

* Pull the CMOS Battery and replace it and see if that helps.
* Power the system off and unplug the PSU from the wall. Try pulling and reconnecting all of your power connections from the PSU to all of your parts (24 pin mobo, GPU, CPU, etc.). Than try re-powering up the system.
* Double check all of your Front Panel connectors and make sure they are in the right spots and not all gummed up with lint or some other stuff.

If you still have similar issues:
* Try using just 1 RAM stick for now, this will lower your load on your system (which this isn't much, but every little might help).
* If you have 2 DVD's (or any combination of optical drives), just unplug the power from all of them except one incase you need to use one for a windows repair.

Continue on:
* You might consider checking out to see if your CPU thermal paste is/has moved onto the mobo (not saying it is, but it's something to check out). You will need to clean the CPU and CPU/HSF of the residue and install a fresh amount of thermal paste, so be aware of this. If you don't have any extra thermal paste around, just inspect around the CPU and see if you can see any excess on the mobo.
* You can take your mobo out of your system and place on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well). Than try and power the system on, you might have a loose screw hanging around in the case and has worked itself onto some part of the mobo and/or your getting a short in the mobo somewhere.
* I'd try another PSU, if you have one around or borrow from a buddy if you can. This would possibly eliminate any PSU issues that might/might not be present.

I appreciate your help buddy.

I did assemble the system myself. My psu is a Cooler Master RS-600. I did the following: -

- i took out my graphics card. Still the cpu red led is lit.
- whenever i switch on my system, it turns off automatically and then after 2 seconds it turns on. the red cpu led is lit all the time.
- i think when my graphics card was plugged in, i did not see its fan turning. (maybe)
- inspite of powering down (like removing power from dvd drive, hdd) still the cpu red led light is on.
- cmos reset didnt help either.

I think now either my psu is not able to supply power or my mb is done for.

What do you think I should do ?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 3:27:58 AM

Try to borrow a PSU from a buddy, just to test it out, and than see if you have the same issue. It's possible the Mobo or CPU have issues, but not sure either at this time. The PSU changeout would be the quickest/cheapest option at this point. Especially if you can borrow a PSU from a buddy.

Cooler Master PSU's are hit and miss and in the past they weren't that good/reliable. They are getting better, but I still don't trust them myself, but that is just my opinion.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:20:04 AM

I got my system check by Asus's technicians. They told me that tracks on the motherboard had burnt and a ic near cpu has also gone bad.

They have now repaired my board and given it to me. They told me its strange to see such a high end board getting burnt a bit in less than six months. But anyways I will now be able to use my mb. Though psu could be responsible but i dunno if I should do something or continue to use with the same psu.
m
l
November 3, 2011 8:49:28 AM

The psu which I am using is coolermaster rs-600. Its a 600 watt psu and costed me around $50.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 9:13:19 AM

Well the CM PSU's in the past have been a bit iffy, but CM is starting to make better PSU's. It'll all depend on if you want to try it out or not. I don't know if your CM PSU was the cause of your mobo issue, but it might have been involved. Too little info to know for sure, but it's going to come down to you if you want to try to continue to use it or replace it. Personally I'd replace it and use it for a backup PSU (for troubleshooting or for emergencies), but I don't know what you can afford or if you want to do that.
m
l
November 4, 2011 8:30:23 AM

Thanks for help buddy. The system is working fine. I had to go back to them today. It seems the track which they had fixed was broken again. I dunno why it happened, maybe because of the way i was handling the motherboard.

Anyway I checked my pc now and its working fine.

Thanks to you guys for your valuable advice.
m
l
November 4, 2011 8:30:50 AM

Best answer selected by jackgreat.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2011 5:22:25 PM

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. Hopefully you won't have any further issues with this system. :) 
m
l
!