Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer noise leaking to sound card?

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2011 5:24:52 AM

I have had my acer aspire m3910 for about a month now and recently I hear a hissing and squeaking sound in my headphones... could this be sounds from my computer leaking to my sound card? If so does any one have any ideas why this would have started and how to fix it?

Thanks.
February 26, 2011 5:41:44 AM

It most certainly is what you've described.
Try moving the card to another pci slot.
m
l
February 26, 2011 5:01:59 PM

Thanks for replies.

Actually my Audio is just High-definition audio support, I am also using a nvidia geforce gt320 video card and it shows 3 or 4 nvidia high definition audios in my device manager.

After a little investigation the hissing and squeaking sounds coincide exactly with the hdd sounds when it gets to whining is when I hear the same sounds in my headphones, I have turned headphones and no hissing squeaking turn them on and it is there, if I take the headphones off I can hear a very similar sound coming from the hdd. I have an Acer Aspire M3910:

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
Speed : 3GHz

Total Memory : 4GB DIMM DDR3

Chipset
Model : Acer Clarksfield/Lynnfield DMI
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 2.4GHz (4.79GHz)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 (48 SM4.1 1.3GHz, 1GB DDR3, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Logical Storage Devices
SYSTEM RESERVED : 100MB (NTFS)
Acer (C:)  : 451GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST3500418AS (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache)
PQSERVICE : 15GB (NTFS)
Optical Drive (D:)  : N/A @ TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653G (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Audio Device : Acer P55/PM55/3400 High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor Realtek 662 High Definition Audio
Audio Device : PC Partner High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : nVidia 000Dh

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Not sure how to get rid of noise. If I do add an actual sound card can I get rid of the realtek audio... I don't like realtek I never have are there other options for audio support or am I stuck with it?

One other option to making it quieter might be to get a sound barrier case for my hdd.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2011 5:07:37 PM

What about the headphones? I suspect there may be some shielding issues. You say this doesn't occur without the headphones, do you have system speakers? Do you hear anything from the speakers?
What kind of headphones?
m
l

Best solution

February 26, 2011 5:09:22 PM

As far as the audio goes, the pc should default to a pci sound card if installed but there are options in the BIOS to disable the onboard sound.
February 26, 2011 5:36:27 PM

Thanks for info.

The same sound comes through speakers as well, the headphones are nexxtech with a mic attached and the speakers are

winex sb 168m very low rate no doubt. On further investigation this problem only occurs when the headphones or speakers are

plugged into the front of computer, also in near proximity with hdd. For now am forced to use rear outlets on computer might try

an hdd sound barrier cover not sure.

Thanks for replies and info!!!
m
l
February 26, 2011 5:36:38 PM

Best answer selected by knk2009.
m
l
February 27, 2011 4:20:17 AM

knk2009 said:
Thanks for info.

The same sound comes through speakers as well, the headphones are nexxtech with a mic attached and the speakers are

winex sb 168m very low rate no doubt. On further investigation this problem only occurs when the headphones or speakers are

plugged into the front of computer, also in near proximity with hdd. For now am forced to use rear outlets on computer might try

an hdd sound barrier cover not sure.

Thanks for replies and info!!!

Your welcome. Its obvious the front ports are poorly shielded. It does sound like you should invest in a hard drive silencer:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g7/c113/list/p1/Sound_D...

fficial&channel=s&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=iexpTYb0EJP6sAOD_8mmBA&ved=0CDkQrQQ&biw=1920&bih=898&fp=50b5159043c31387" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.m...

GL
m
l
!