Sandy bridge chipset is fixed

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Wow, that was a very quick turnaround time. I mean the flaw was only reported at the beginning of this month, and now fixed parts are going to start being released just over a month afterwards the discovery of the flaw.

potzy81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
It is beneficial for them to keep the turn around time the shortest possible. They are losing a fortune and each day puts them a little deeper in the hole. How many people doing new builds are going with AMD because their equipment is available TODAY. We are an instant gratification society....

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I personally don't think AMD is benefiting much from this issue, at least with the enthusiasts. The problem is that AMD just doesn't have anything comparable to what Intel has to offer in terms of raw performance. Their main draw is low prices, and for OEMs and people looking for a budget machine AMD is a good option. However, enthusiasts aren't going to go for a much slower AMD processor just because they can't stand a one and a half month wait.

OEMs are probably the area where AMD is going to gain slightly more traction because now they're all annoyed about the disruption that Intel created with the chipset flaw, and are looking elsewhere for parts so they can release new models.

I think AMD has really failed here by not getting Bulldozer released sooner, because right now AMD doesn't have any CPUs that are comparable to Sandy Bridge. Instead all they have are 2-3 year old CPUs that get destroyed in just about every benchmark by the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

This whole recall deal was a golden opportunity for AMD to swoop in and release Bullldozer, have it come close to Sandy Bridge's performance, and then rake in the cash as all the enthusiasts who wanted Sandy Bridge would then go to Bulldozer because of the recall and time they would have to wait for fixed motherboards.