Check My Build, Please

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower
ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single 12V Rail Power Supply
Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO Extreme-series
Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor 6 cores – 12 threads, 12MB Cache, (MOBO & CPU are a bundle from Intel Retail Edge program)
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Intel® X25-M 160GB Solid State Drive

I need suggestions on Video card(s), since that is what I know the least about. Any help would be appreciated. I will be playing new release fps games like Gears & Medal of Honor etc...
22 answers Last reply
More about check build please
  1. I guess I didn't read the "How to" before I asked for you to check this. I'm really not on a budget, but I don't want to go crazy, otherwise I would have gone for the extreme i7.

    Kingston HyperX Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104164

    ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814019

    Intel Extreme Series BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121361

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&Tpk=COOLER%20MASTER%20HAF%20X%20RC-942-KKN1

    Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G2K5 2.5" 160GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167032&cm_re=Intel%u00ae_X25-M_160GB-_-20-167-032-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&Tpk=COOLER%20MASTER%20HAF%20X%20RC-942-KKN1

    Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066&cm_re=i7_970-_-19-115-066-_-Product
  2. Your memory is dual channel , you need triple channel for lga 1336 (sets/sticks of 3 or 6)
    3x1GB=3GB
    3x2gb= 6GB (I'd suggest this one)
    3x4GB = 12GB

    6x2GB= 12GB
    6x4GB= 24GB

    I wouldn't get a ABS power supply.
    and I'd get a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

    GPU: Depends on Budget GTX 580 SLI > Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC > Radeon 6870 CF > GTX 460 SLI > Radeon 6850 CF
    _____________________GTX 580> Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC> Radeon 6870> GTX 460> Radeon 6850
  3. 1100W is insane for this, unless you plan a triple SLI of 480s or 580s.

    I'd suggest a Mushkin Callisto SSD over the Intel-X25

    I'm assuming you're going to go with a 5870, 5980, 69xx (when they come out) or 480/580 video card given you're already paying $900 for the hexacore
  4. vindictive said:
    Your memory is dual channel , you need triple channel for lga 1336 (sets/sticks of 3 or 6)
    3x1GB=3GB
    3x2gb= 6GB (I'd suggest this one)
    3x4GB = 12GB

    6x2GB= 12GB
    6x4GB= 24GB

    I wouldn't get a ABS power supply.
    and I'd get a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

    GPU: Depends on Budget GTX 580 SLI > Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC > Radeon 6870 CF > GTX 460 SLI > Radeon 6850 CF
    _____________________GTX 580> Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC> Radeon 6870> GTX 460> Radeon 6850



    thanks for the catch on the memory, I have no clue about that. There are 4 slots for memory on the board, and it says 16gb max, so how does that work, 4 x 4gb, but triple channel? Also, what is the problem with the ABS power supply? Are they bad? I'm just curious. This is going to be a learning experience for my son and I. This is his Christmas present. (and of course the time with dad building it.) He is in sales at Best Buy and does a lot of Intel training to earn discounts on their products, so we will be using Intel whenever possible. I do want to go with 2 GPUs, you've got a lot listed up there, can you narrow it down for me?
  5. Its not a great build, how much are you saving with the Intel CPU+Mobo? For gaming hex cores are no better than quads, and Intel Mobos aren't all that great. Even a i7-950 bundle would be better.

    I don't see a reason to use Intel just because he work with them at his job, it his personal computer anyways and i see no point getting a inferior product just for the brand.

    The SSD isnt that great either. Nor is the RAM, kingston RAM is a bit spotty and for gaming 4GB/6GB for 1366 is plenty. The PSU isn't great either, ABS is a second-tier company that makes good. but not great products. Case is nice though.

    Heres a solid build that will play almost all games on the market with high settings at 1900*1200.

    i7 950 $295
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-211-_-Product

    Asus Sabertooth $200
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

    2*HD 6870 $500
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125347

    6GB Gskill Pi $130
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

    Corsair AX750 $150
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016

    Samsung F3 1TB $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Silverstone RV02 $160
    http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-RV02B-W-Steel-Tower-Computer/dp/B002M78KZG

    OCZ Agility 2 120GB $215
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227593

    Totals up to ~$1720+shipping, without the $40MIR.
  6. ^hint, get that rv02 off of amazon.com. last I checked (2 weeks ago) was $140 shipped there and $180 +$20 shipping on newegg.

    Why would they make it with 4 slots.. most x58 boards have 6 slots.
    even listed from that mobo on newegg: "Channel Supported
    Triple Channel "

    I also would get that ASUS sabertooth motherboard ^. Great board.

    Well that was in order, best to worst, pick your spot on the budget line I suppose.

    and that's cool your building a PC with your son, I'm building a comp with my dad (bought everything but the cpu/mobo so far) but mines as a "going to college gift".
    I'm assuming since your son works with/knows about intel he knows the new Intel CPU's are coming out on Jan 9th?
  7. vindictive said:
    ^hint, get that rv02 off of amazon.com. last I checked (2 weeks ago) was $140 shipped there and $180 +$20 shipping on newegg.

    Why would they make it with 4 slots.. most x58 boards have 6 slots.
    even listed from that mobo on newegg: "Channel Supported
    Triple Channel "

    I also would get that ASUS sabertooth motherboard ^. Great board.

    Well that was in order, best to worst, pick your spot on the budget line I suppose.

    and that's cool your building a PC with your son, I'm building a comp with my dad (bought everything but the cpu/mobo so far) but mines as a "going to college gift".
    I'm assuming since your son works with/knows about intel he knows the new Intel CPU's are coming out on Jan 9th?

    Thanks, its $160 shipped on amazon, Ill edit my link. Seems like Silverstone cases are consistently cheaper, the GD05 has always been $20 lower with free shipping too. :pt1cable:

    The DX58SO does have only 4 slots though, Its a 3 slot tri-channel setup + an extra slot, seems like Intel didn't have enough time to redesign the board cram the extra 2 slots in before the X58 launch so they just kept the "normal" 4 slots. :kaola:

    I don't think SB would be viable though, because it will defeat the whole Christmas thing. Besides, its not replacing LGA1366 anyways as P67 is the successor to P55, with the limited PCIe slots and all, the Nehalem replacement "SB-E" wont be out until quite a bit later.
  8. ^true story :P
  9. Ok, so my son came home today and we rethought a few things. We don't have to get the intel motherboard. He is able to purchase the ssd and the processor as a bundle (with Civilization 5 but thats neither here nor there). We talked to one of his coworkers and this is what we came up with:

    Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 (no price for obvious reasons - he gets a good price trust me)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066&cm_re=intel_i7_970-_-19-115-066-_-Product

    ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ($360)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642

    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($290)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321

    EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 ($450)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130551

    ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD ($199)
    https://secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/DashBoard.aspx?RandomID=4539097875314220101130163206

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case ($180)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

    Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G2K5 2.5" 160GB (bundled with cpu)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167032&Tpk=Intel%20X25-M%20SSDSA2MH160G2K5%202.5%22%20160GB

    Please check this again for me, also, would I need addtional after market cooling or anything like that? I really appreciate all of your guys input and criticism. I would have made some big mistakes without you.
  10. looks pretty good, few things.
    1.12GB is over the top for basically anything at this point, I'd go with 6gb.
    2. GTX 480 is like Nvidia's ugly mistake, its very loud and very hot. Options: spend $30-40 more for the gtx 580 which is more powerful, uses less power (hehe pun :D), and quieter. or drop down to the Gigabyte GTX 470 Super OverClock which is the best GTX 470 made, and is right behind the GTX 480 stock.
    3. ABS powersupplie's aren't very good, If you plan to OC your GPU get a 1000W if not get a 900-950W. (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX Black editions)

    everything else looks good to me.
  11. stickerhed said:
    Ok, so my son came home today and we rethought a few things. We don't have to get the intel motherboard. He is able to purchase the ssd and the processor as a bundle (with Civilization 5 but thats neither here nor there). We talked to one of his coworkers and this is what we came up with:

    Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 (no price for obvious reasons - he gets a good price trust me)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066&cm_re=intel_i7_970-_-19-115-066-_-Product

    ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ($360)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642

    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($290)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321

    EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 ($450)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130551

    ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD ($199)
    https://secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/DashBoard.aspx?RandomID=4539097875314220101130163206

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case ($180)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

    Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G2K5 2.5" 160GB (bundled with cpu)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167032&Tpk=Intel%20X25-M%20SSDSA2MH160G2K5%202.5%22%20160GB

    Please check this again for me, also, would I need addtional after market cooling or anything like that? I really appreciate all of your guys input and criticism. I would have made some big mistakes without you.

    Still not so great, even if you're set with a hex core and the Intel SSD.

    First, the Rampage isnt a great board for the money, its a nice board but priced too high simply because its top-of-the line.

    The RAM is overkill, 6GB is more than enough for gaming, and you can always get 2 sets for 12GB if you wanted. The Dominators simply isnt a great deal and 24GB is probably only fully utilized for high-end rendering and editing.

    The 480 is a bad buy also, the 580 is only $50 more and offers better performance while having lower power consumption, though like above, the 470 is a great choice also. As well as dual 6870s (which beats the 580 by quite a wide margin).

    The Abs PSU its simply not up to par in terms of quality compared to Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc. Heres the review if you want to read more into it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/22/abs_majesty_mj1100m_1100w_power_supply_review/9

    Especially for such a high end build, you would want the quality of power over the quantity of the power supplied, besides 850W is enough for even 2 GTX470s and the AX-850 can do more than its rated wattage just fine.

    Finally I would highly recommend the RV02, the cooling capabilities is better than the HAF X with the new stock and the layout is really unique. But the case is pretty personal, so choose the one you like.

    Heres my revision:
    Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 (no price for obvious reasons - he gets a good price trust me)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066

    MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 ($295)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289

    G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($130)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

    GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 ($300)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338

    CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified ($195)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case ($180)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

    Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G2K5 2.5" 160GB (bundled with cpu)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167032&Tpk=Intel%20X25-M%20SSDSA2MH160G2K5%202.5%22%20160GB

    For cooling, the cooler that comes with the 970 should be fine as long as you don't do an extreme OC. Gulftowns run pretty cool and the tower cooler is MUCH better than the round "stock intel coolers".
  12. ^+1. Hows the intel x25-m compared to the ocz vertex 2?
  13. vindictive said:
    ^+1. Hows the intel x25-m compared to the ocz vertex 2?

    Its a bit slower, but not by much.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/126?vs=152
  14. Timop said:
    Still not so great, even if you're set with a hex core and the Intel SSD.

    First, the Rampage isnt a great board for the money, its a nice board but priced too high simply because its top-of-the line.

    The RAM is overkill, 6GB is more than enough for gaming, and you can always get 2 sets for 12GB if you wanted. The Dominators simply isnt a great deal and 24GB is probably only fully utilized for high-end rendering and editing.

    The 480 is a bad buy also, the 580 is only $50 more and offers better performance while having lower power consumption, though like above, the 470 is a great choice also. As well as dual 6870s (which beats the 580 by quite a wide margin).

    The Abs PSU its simply not up to par in terms of quality compared to Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc. Heres the review if you want to read more into it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/22/abs_majesty_mj1100m_1100w_power_supply_review/9

    Especially for such a high end build, you would want the quality of power over the quantity of the power supplied, besides 850W is enough for even 2 GTX470s and the AX-850 can do more than its rated wattage just fine.

    Finally I would highly recommend the RV02, the cooling capabilities is better than the HAF X with the new stock and the layout is really unique. But the case is pretty personal, so choose the one you like.

    Heres my revision:
    Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 (no price for obvious reasons - he gets a good price trust me)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115066

    MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 ($295)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289

    G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($130)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335

    GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 ($300)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338

    CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified ($195)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015

    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case ($180)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

    Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G2K5 2.5" 160GB (bundled with cpu)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167032&Tpk=Intel%20X25-M%20SSDSA2MH160G2K5%202.5%22%20160GB

    For cooling, the cooler that comes with the 970 should be fine as long as you don't do an extreme OC. Gulftowns run pretty cool and the tower cooler is MUCH better than the round "stock intel coolers".



    Thanks, I just snagged a GTX 580 superclocked from compusa for $529. I appreciate you being up front with me about some of my choices. I had already ordered the case, it will be here tomorrow, it looks awesome. I had also already ordered the power, but I can bite the bullet and send it back for your choice, its the same price but i will have to pay restocking. As far as the RAM goes, I know it is probably overkill, but, I'd rather have too much than not enough. Plus, a year or two down the road I can expand to 24gb without throwing any away, if I need to. I haven't ordered the RAM or the mobo yet, but everything else is on the way. Also, I know this is stupid, but the last Computer I put together needed an audio card, do I even need one anymore? the mobo you suggest seems to have audio already on it?

    thanks,
  15. onboard audio is now good enough for all but the most demandng audiophile, or is you are a professional musician/dj/mixer.
  16. stickerhed said:
    Thanks, I just snagged a GTX 580 superclocked from compusa for $529. I appreciate you being up front with me about some of my choices. I had already ordered the case, it will be here tomorrow, it looks awesome. I had also already ordered the power, but I can bite the bullet and send it back for your choice, its the same price but i will have to pay restocking. As far as the RAM goes, I know it is probably overkill, but, I'd rather have too much than not enough. Plus, a year or two down the road I can expand to 24gb without throwing any away, if I need to. I haven't ordered the RAM or the mobo yet, but everything else is on the way. Also, I know this is stupid, but the last Computer I put together needed an audio card, do I even need one anymore? the mobo you suggest seems to have audio already on it?

    thanks,

    If you talk to newegg they usually will cancel the restocking fee. If they insist though, its not TOO big of a deal keeping the Abs, as its a perfectly fine 800W PSU, which can power a 580 with ease.

    On the RAM, if you insist on 12GB, the Corsairs are the better ones, but the Pis are much faster RAM at CAS7@1.5v; keep an eye on these though if you want, absurdly cheap for a really nice set.

    Motherboards nowadays all include audio, the MSI I linked comes with a stand-alone "on-board" audio card, so you wont be needing one. However if you have a really nice sound system or headsets, a dedicated card like the Sonar DX/Soundblaster XFi would definitely improve aural quality.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024
  17. Ok, the case and the GTX 580 came in today, I'm getting very excited. What about aftermarket cooling? I have absolutely no experience with this. I'm assuming this beast is going to be loud, so if I need more cooling, I would like it to be as quiet as possible. Can anyone help me with this? The case has holes for liquid cooling, is that a good option? thanks
  18. actually, check Tom's review of the 580. Its quieter than the 480, and consumes a bit less power, so you should be ok on that.

    Unless you overclock the GPU or CPU, the stock cooler is fine... its kinda what it's there for :)
  19. With a Gulftown, you wont need aftermarket cooling pretty much unless you do water, which isn't recommended unless you're super confident and know what you're doing. A leaky barb could take out your whole system like that and the setup is pretty expensive if you go all the way, GPU block and all.

    The Gulftown cooler DBX-B is actually really good, its performance isn't far from a ~$60 high-end aircooler like the Megahalems.
  20. I'm all ready to build. We got the last parts in today. With the monitor and everything it came to $2,700. About $1,000 more than I wanted to spend. I configured the same system (except the case) at Ibuypower.com and Dell (Alienware) and would have been right around $4,000 at ibuypower and $5500 at alienware. We ended up getting the 23" Asus monitor with the nvidea 3d kit.
  21. thanks for all the help
  22. you're welcome.

    Happy building!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product