turning lcd into a tv ????

martinrichards23

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2002
hi guys,

i am the proud owner of a hitachi cml174sxwb, and am very happy with it, but i was wondering if there is some sort of tv module or something that i could plug directly into either the analogue or digital input so i can watch tv on it. i know you can get pci tv cards, but i want something that will bypass the computer (bit of a hassle to turn on computer every time i want to watch tv, also my 1.4ghz t-bird needs a noisy fan)

thanks for any info

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Good info! I have been telling people about this website since I have been reading your posts. Good information and honest information. <A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com/before/expert/jims_corner/munchies.shtml" target="_new">linkage</A> to your information on the better TV monitor.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

timbyrd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
In your article, there seem to be two main issues with using an LCD as a TV - fuzziness from scaling to native resolution and lack of color/brightness/vibrancy.

Does that apply to the LCDs listed in the "LCD TV" section of the Monitors Direct site? The Samsung 241MP and 240T both have a native resolution of 1920X1200 so scaling shouldn't be an issue. Or if they have to scale, wouldn't a plasma of the same resolution also have to? BTW, the plasma displays on the Monitors Direct site only have resolutions of 852 x 480 to 1280 x 720 - $14,500.00 for that - so the statement "First you will notice that these plasma displays are running HDTV resolutions of 1900 x 1024." seems a bit misleading to me.

So that leaves color. Is the color that bad on these two Samsung LCDs?

-- Tim

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It applies to all LCD's including plasma. LCD's and Plasma provide the best picture at there native resolution.

One HDTV resolution is 1900 x 1024 if you run the Samsungs at 1900 x 1200 they will look great. 1900 x 1200 is not an HDTV resolution.

Any fixed resolution device LCD or Plasma will not look as good if you run them off the native resolution.

Plasma will have much better colors than an LCD, because Plasma uses Phospor like a CRT.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

Latest posts