cpu overheat

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2005 3:19:13 AM

hi anyone that can help me? i've upgraded my aspire 1300 with duron 1200
1,55v to athlon 1600 1,45v, it suddenly overheat and shoutdown my laptop.
how can i solve this issue? and how can i change the voltage? maybe with a
bios upgrade?
thx

More about : cpu overheat

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2005 3:19:14 AM

Your best bet is to give your computer better circulation. Don't
surround it with books or CD cases. Also, you could try elevating it
by putting the computer on a couple of jewel cases or one of those
expensive laptop stands.
February 5, 2005 3:37:18 AM

lubvic <lubvicNOSPAM@fastwebnet.it> wrote:
: hi anyone that can help me? i've upgraded my aspire 1300 with duron 1200
: 1,55v to athlon 1600 1,45v, it suddenly overheat and shoutdown my laptop.
: how can i solve this issue? and how can i change the voltage? maybe with a
: bios upgrade?

Do you know that your laptop is even designed to run with an Athlon
1600? It may not be able to cool a chip running that hot. Your best
bet is to find a service manual for the computer to see if there's a
way to lower the voltage. Any upgraded BIOS would probably be on the
manufacturer's website, if it is even possible to lower the voltage.
Sometimes a jumper on the motherboard can do it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

> Do you know that your laptop is even designed to run with an Athlon
> 1600? It may not be able to cool a chip running that hot. Your best
> bet is to find a service manual for the computer to see if there's a
> way to lower the voltage. Any upgraded BIOS would probably be on the
> manufacturer's website, if it is even possible to lower the voltage.
> Sometimes a jumper on the motherboard can do it.

no vay to lower voltage on service guide.
my notebook support 'till athlon 1800, so this is not the problem, and on
the user guide, they say it'll run with the oldest bios release, 1A11, my
lap is upgraded to 3A21, i can upgrade to 3A71, but this scares me:

ET2 release version BIOS.
A. Fixed Problems
add amd model 10 cpu support
remove duron cpu support
critical shutdown point in 105'C
VGA ROM change

what does it means? that if the new cpu is still overheating i can't use
anymore my original duron cpu?
this will drive me to a dead laptop. :(

what sould i do? try the bios upgrade?
arghhhh.....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2005 5:29:13 AM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 02:29:12 +0100, "lubvic"
<lubvicNOSPAM@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> ET2 release version BIOS.
>A. Fixed Problems
> add amd model 10 cpu support
> remove duron cpu support
> critical shutdown point in 105'C
> VGA ROM change
>

>what does it means? that if the new cpu is still overheating i can't use
>anymore my original duron cpu?
>this will drive me to a dead laptop. :(
>
>what sould i do? try the bios upgrade?
>arghhhh.....

If AMD model 10 are the 1.45V, then that's what u need to do.

You HAVE to lower your voltage to 1.45V else u can't use that baby. Do
any of the AMD 1.55V series support higher clock rates?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2005 10:06:22 PM

> If AMD model 10 are the 1.45V, then that's what u need to do.
>
> You HAVE to lower your voltage to 1.45V else u can't use that baby. Do
> any of the AMD 1.55V series support higher clock rates?

where can i see the version of cpu?
i think it's a model 6 cpu
this is the CPU OPN: AHM1600AQQ3B 200MHZ FSB 1.45v
my old cpu was duron with 200 mhz fsb and 1.55v
my lap runs well for about a minute, and after the fan spins faster and the
pc shoutdown. so the MB support this cpu, but sure i have to lower the
voltage, but how? my version bios is locked, maybe with the help of some
software like CPU MSR?
don't know...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2005 2:29:16 AM

this is very strange, ive runt my lap for 5 minute, and used sisoft sandra,
it say that my cpu run at 16/17° it's not so hot indeed... and vcool says
that the cpu run at 16° too but there is a fan failure. this is why the fan
always spin... but why my lap automaticaly shoutdown after a period of time?
it' something involved with temperature, because when it shoutdown, if i
turn it on again it shout after few second.

any clue?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2005 1:56:52 PM

U will find all the specs at www.intel.com of course.

U can try to overclock and get fancy with it, and sometimes, if yer
lucky it works, but in this case, it doesn't look like is gonna fly.

The only answer I have for u is, the correct voltage or forget it. I
have no further comment.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs