Sign in with
Your question

Good router to use with skype?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 25, 2010 1:06:51 PM

I use skype and a headset on my laptop. the laptop is currently wired connection to my netgear router. nothing special about the router, $40 netgear walmart special. Anyhow, my calls on Skype are of utmost importance so I was wondering if I would be better off with a nice router? I have been told that I should check into "tomato" firmware but I'm not sure.

so it's important to have a router that will give me the best QoS for skype and a secondary concern is to have very good wireless range too (not relating to skype as that is a wired connection"

suggestions? there are so many routers, I'd assume the apple airport is great but that is just an assumption.

More about : good router skype

October 12, 2010 2:01:09 PM

You can never go wrong with D-link and Linksys (Cisco). I have a D-Link wireless router (4 years old) and it works flawlessly wired or thru wifi when using my VoIP service with Onesuite. Connection and call quality are very good. I supposed there's little difference when using Skype.

On the other hand, if your Netgear is working normally then just continue using it as you might not get any improvement or just a little when you change your router.
m
l
a b D Laptop
October 13, 2010 5:30:11 PM

I suppose QoS could be an issue if your local network is being used concurrently for heavy downloading (e.g., torrents). But if that's not the case, I'm not sure another router is warranted, at least on those grounds alone, not unless your wireless is sketchy right now.

Frankly, the best thing you can do for skype is to open a port for the service so you don't end up needing a relay. What many ppl don't realize is that skype uses ppl who are directly connected to the public IP network as relays on behalf of other users who are behind their own routers. But requiring a relay can reduce performance significantly, leading to poor call quality.

If you go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Connection, you’ll see skype has selected a random port (you can change it if you like). If you uncheck “Use port 80 and 443 …” and open that port on your router, you will NOT be handled by a relay, but rather have a direct connection. That alone could do more than anything else you might be considering.

m
l
!