spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new build. I asked this question in a new build thread but this post is dedicated to the video card selection.
PC specs will be:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ABS MJ900 Continuous 900W@50°C Power Supply - Retail (This is changing based on a recommendation, maybe a better quality 750W)
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black Computer Case

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: FFXIV is the excuse for the build however it will be an investment for a couple years and used for a lot of work. Don't think I'll be playing any FPS on here.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Above

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg since that's were a majority of the rest is coming from.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've always been a ATI guy but I'm open to suggestions.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I was wanting 3 displays. 2 will suffice. The 5870 was my first choice but still unsure.
Also feel it may be overkill but its gotta last. There are so many brands with the same chip set I just don't know.

Thanks for your input.

Nice build.. Although, somewhat spoilt by the inclusion of a cheap case (IMO).. For the GPU, I'll recommend getting a GTX 460 1GB or a HD 5850.. For employing three displays using a single card, you'd anyway require an active port connector.. Otherwise, go for a dual GTX 460 1GB setup.. Gives you enormous performance potential along with the ability to go for a max. 4 display setup without requiring any other component..

spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

I hear ya on the case and at first it was a concern until I decided on the location and it will be hidden. It just needs to hold the hardware and have good air flow. If I had good reason to upgrade I'd consider it but at this time I don't see a need.

Thanks for the recommendation on the cards.
thumbsUp.gif

4745454b

Titan
If you want to do three monitors and have a 1200 resolution, you need to get the 5870. (maybe the Bart XT if/when it gets released, not sure how long you can wait.) You can go with Nvidia if you want, but I'm not sure how well "eyefinity" with SLI will work out. I'd stick with the single card.

Are you getting two SSDs? Some of what you have seems overkill for what you want. You won't need a i7 950 to play FF.

spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Just one SSD.

I decided to go with 2 monitors and the XFX HD-585X-ZABC Radeon HD 5850

I realize the system is over built for FFXIV. In the end it just gives me a reason to build a new PC. I do a lot of work from home and I often have to bounce between 3-5 clients at times. The extra horse power is for those days and longevity as one of my criteria was to not upgrade for a while.