Gateway DX4320-01e Video Upgrade

preston

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This post was taken down 48 hrs because I couldn't confirm.
I’m looking for possible card upgrades for a Gateway DX4320-01e mini-tower, with or without a power upgrade. Presently it has a GeForce 350 card and a 300W PSU. The_OGS gave me some suggestions. Other DX4320 models have the same 300W PSU but have an ATI HD 5570 or 5750 card. The manufacture of these cards suggests a 400W or 450W PSU minimum. My main question now is, why the difference of opinion on the PSU? Will not meeting manufacture minimums affect card performance?
Someone was asking about card upgrades for a Gateway DX4831-01; in case I can’t find the thread, does anyone know what he did? He was planning on adding a 600W PSU, but wasn’t sure what card would fit in the case. He has the same case as me and I'm wondering what PSU he used.
I am learning 3ds Max and Revit to do architectural visualization, is that more demanding on the machine than gaming? I would not have thought so, but someone told me it was.

preston

The difference in power supplys is how they are rated.
The cheap models rate theirs at max output. Which means it will supply 450 watts for a few milliseconds before shutting down. Continous output may be in the line of 300-325 watts.
Better manufacturers rate their power supplys at continous output. meaning 24/7 at 450watts output. not a few milliseconds.
So card manufacturers take into account these cheap power supplys and make their reccomendation accordingly.

you can probably run either card. with your power supply.

The software will need to be answered by someone with more knowledge .

preston

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Thanks for the info, from someone in need of alot :eek: