Solved

Need help diagnosing HP labtop

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2010 11:00:57 PM

hp pavillion dv6000

Loads bios
Then goes to black screen with nothing.
Was unable to boot to safe mode.
No hard drive lights showing any activity.

This is what i know so far.

I"m gonna use a boot cd to see if i can clear any virus's but i'm thinking that this will be a hardware problem.

I've never gotten into the hardware of a newer labtop, do you still go in through the keyboard?

any tips///suggestions// link to good troubleshooting all very much appreciated.

More about : diagnosing labtop

December 1, 2010 12:45:44 AM

Sounds like a bad hard drive. To get to it there is a simple removable hatch on the bottom of the laptop. U only remove the keyboard for complete motherboard removal. Ram is the same way. Be away that the dv 6000 have an extremly high motherboard failure rate. Hp has secretly extended the warrenty to 2 years. But you have to know that and tell them on the phone.
m
l
December 1, 2010 12:49:59 AM

Yes it failed 3 diagnostic failures for the main hard drive. One from bios, and 2 form ultimate boot cd.

So that removable hatch, i'm not really seeing it. i'm assuming left side opposite to cd rom drive (left relative to keyboard showing.)
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 3:58:58 AM

k, i just want to be positive, i got a suggestion that it could be the mobo as well.

Is there certain ways to diagnose the motherboard, i did a memory test, and it passed.

Also this drive didn't have any cables, it just hand prongs and pins; so will this be an easy hard drive to find, considering this is a 5 year old notebook.
m
l
December 1, 2010 4:35:02 PM

The prongs and pins of the hard drive means its a IDE hard drive. Also called pata. Stil a common drive type and easy to find on new egg or best buy. Remember laptop drive are called 2.5 inch where desktop hard drives are called 3.5 inch.

There's no easy way to diagnose motherboard problems. If your laptop is posting evry time u push the power button that's a good sign for this type of laptop. If a new hdd is still failing the test then it is the motherboard. But its 5 years old it not suprising the hard drive is bad it very very common failure
m
l
December 1, 2010 4:40:00 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the tips, but i'm 99% sure that its sata 1.5Gbs when i typed in the make and model in google newegg pop'd right up.

I am assuming most Notebook drives use prongs///pins for pata/sata

also in your first comment Did they extend that mobo 2 years + original warranty?
or was it a 1 year warranty before and now it is a 2 year warranty?
m
l
December 1, 2010 4:52:22 PM

It was only 1 aditional year for the original warrenty. Since we know its a sata drive then the prongs and pins is an adapter that allows a sata drive lift straight up instead of slide horizontaly to make the connection.. Pull the adapter off with ur fingers and it will reveal a traditional sata plug on the drive.
m
l
December 1, 2010 4:57:42 PM

I"m not understanding the adapter part of your last post. I really appreciate your help, i think he plans on giving me this for xmas if i fix it because i'm starting college for CIS, and a notebook will help alot with notes.
m
l
December 1, 2010 5:02:43 PM

When I get home in an hour ill post pics of what I mean
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:10:15 AM

Yes i got that adapter installed, it's having problems recognizing the drive. I don't really know what to do from here
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:42:42 AM

What do you mean not recognizing the drive? Did you put in the new hard drive. Is it now saying no operatting system found? Does the bios show that there is a hard drive? If yes to both the new drive is woking but you need to install windows on the new drive as all new drives are blank. To install windows the easiest thing for you is to get the system recovery disks. If you don't have them then HP will send you some new one for about 30$
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:45:40 AM

thlillyr said:
What do you mean not recognizing the drive? Did you put in the new hard drive. Is it now saying no operatting system found? Does the bios show that there is a hard drive? If yes to both the new drive is woking but you need to install windows on the new drive as all new drives are blank. To install windows the easiest thing for you is to get the system recovery disks. If you don't have them then HP will send you some new one for about 30$

I got it to work, their was a bios option that would help imrpove sata drives, once i disabled that windows xp was able to get a driver to communicate with the hard drive.
m
l

Best solution

December 2, 2010 2:59:21 PM

Ah that issue. I didn' even think you were using xp. I've gotten use to everyone using windows 7. Yep XP does not have the driver for sata drives. I'm glad the bios had that option to run sata as IDE. Many lapops don' have that option and people have to use floppy drives of edi the xp disk to make it recognize he HDD
December 8, 2010 7:17:07 PM

Best answer selected by adamm07x.
m
l
!