Sign in with
Your question

So I just cleaned out my computer........ with a can of air.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2010 12:41:09 AM

And now it is louder.

This is a older dell computer,

It has a nivida graphics card... *If you really need specs for it I can go on the other computer and check but I think its a geforce 8800*

What I think what happened is a few things....

1. The dust inside *There was like a 2 years worth of buildup in there* clogged the fan.
2. The fan over heated and burnt out the temp reader.
3. When I unclogged it with the can of air and then turned in on later the temp reader only read a very high temp that would not change

Any suggestions?

More about : cleaned computer air

a c 189 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 12:50:17 AM

well, it possibly that you broke the fan card when all dust building up there 2 years long...
You can try buy an aftermarket cooler...
m
l
October 7, 2010 1:03:18 AM

wa1 said:
well, it possibly that you broke the fan card when all dust building up there 2 years long...
You can try buy an aftermarket cooler...

Can't I just turn intergated graphics on and call it a day? I can't think of any day to day applications that would need it.. I don't game on that computer anymore.
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 1:07:40 AM

It's also possible you hit the fan on the CPU/GPU and caused the thermal compound to break loose as it was old to begin with. You might just try to remount the heatsink and fan with new thermal compound.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 1:09:37 AM

Oh, you has an onboard graphic? Then yes, you can use it...
m
l
October 7, 2010 1:10:25 AM

bystander said:
It's also possible you hit the fan on the CPU/GPU and caused the thermal compound to break loose as it was old to begin with. You might just try to remount the heatsink and fan with new thermal compound.

Thermal compound? Graphics cards don't have thermal compounds.. do they?

Can you explain better what you want me to do =p
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 1:13:12 AM

Randomacts said:
Thermal compound? Graphics cards don't have thermal compounds.. do they?

Can you explain better what you want me to do =p

Just like a CPU and it's heatsink, Graphics cards also have a heat sink mounted to the chip, and they use thermal compound as well. It's the same tech.
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:30:55 PM

Yes they also have thermal paste like CPU's. Remove the video card if you want to use the onboard graphics as usually onboard graphics can't be turned on when a video card is installed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 6:06:47 PM

Hey Random:

If you wish to use the onboard graphics, simply remove your current video card and your motherboard will default to onboard graphics.

If you want to replace the Heatsink/Fan on your graphics card, there's plenty of aftermarket coolers available online. Any sort of processing unit, be it a CPU or GPU, will have "thermal compound" on the chip itself. It's a paste like material meant to ease the transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink that's on top of it. If you do end up replacing the fan/heatsink for your graphics card, you'll need new thermal paste to put on the GPU itself before you attach your new fan/heatsink. There's many different kinds available, but most people recognize Arctic Silver as a leading brand.
m
l
October 13, 2010 11:57:43 PM

borisof007 said:
Hey Random:

If you wish to use the onboard graphics, simply remove your current video card and your motherboard will default to onboard graphics.

If you want to replace the Heatsink/Fan on your graphics card, there's plenty of aftermarket coolers available online. Any sort of processing unit, be it a CPU or GPU, will have "thermal compound" on the chip itself. It's a paste like material meant to ease the transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink that's on top of it. If you do end up replacing the fan/heatsink for your graphics card, you'll need new thermal paste to put on the GPU itself before you attach your new fan/heatsink. There's many different kinds available, but most people recognize Arctic Silver as a leading brand.

Ya I ended up just taking to graphics card out...
m
l
!