Internal Wifi possible on Thinkpad A30?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 3:26:26 AM

I've been looking all over the place for an internal wireless solution
for this A30 that I recently acquired(let's hear it for leftovers!) and
I was able to max out the RAM in it, but I've yet to find an >internal<
wireless solution for it. It seems to have a slot that would accomodate
it, but no one seems to sell one, not even used dealers/users, I've got
the standard PCMCIA card for it, and that works fine, except for the
antenna piece that sticks out the side and I keep hitting on things,
and the 10/100 wire works fine too. I guess I'm just finicky about my
toys...

Anyhow, any pointers? Email any ideas to me at bren384@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Brendan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 2:31:09 PM

No, that slot is probably for the built in 10/100 ethernet or modem.
Any laptop designed for internal wireless would have the antenna cables
tapped in that area, as the internal wireless cards (intel) don't have
built-in antennas. Just remove the PC-card when transporting the
computer. The slot in my Gateway 5300 is taken up my the internal
modem/ethernet card.

bren384@hotmail.com wrote:
> I've been looking all over the place for an internal wireless solution
> for this A30 that I recently acquired(let's hear it for leftovers!) and
> I was able to max out the RAM in it, but I've yet to find an >internal<
> wireless solution for it. It seems to have a slot that would accomodate
> it, but no one seems to sell one, not even used dealers/users, I've got
> the standard PCMCIA card for it, and that works fine, except for the
> antenna piece that sticks out the side and I keep hitting on things,
> and the 10/100 wire works fine too. I guess I'm just finicky about my
> toys...
>
> Anyhow, any pointers? Email any ideas to me at bren384@hotmail.com.
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 7:17:21 PM

bren384@hotmail.com wrote:
> I've been looking all over the place for an internal wireless solution
> for this A30 that I recently acquired(let's hear it for leftovers!)
> and I was able to max out the RAM in it, but I've yet to find an
> >internal< wireless solution for it.

It's WiFi ready and the mini-PCI cards are widely available on eBay.

Installation:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

> Anyhow, any pointers? Email any ideas to me at bren384@hotmail.com.

Sorry, post it here, read it here!

Regards,

James
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 7:32:38 PM

In news:lk6Nd.12930$QS5.2121@trndny06 "JHEM"
<James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

> bren384@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I've been looking all over the place for an internal wireless solution
>> for this A30 that I recently acquired(let's hear it for leftovers!)
>> and I was able to max out the RAM in it, but I've yet to find an
>> >internal< wireless solution for it.
>
> It's WiFi ready and the mini-PCI cards are widely available on eBay.

Current IBM laptops (A30 included) have checks in the BIOS that will only
allow IBM-supplied wiFi cards to work in them, even if they appear to be
"normal" cards from other vendors.

" The implementation of this check is fairly simple. Each PCI device has a
unique string describing the vendor and product. Many also have a
"subsystem id", a further string which allows two slightly different
variants of a product to be differentiated. The Thinkpad BIOS reads those
numbers off the device in the mini PCI slot and checks them against an
internal list. If they appear on the list, the machine boots. If they
don't, the following message is displayed and the machine refuses to boot:

1802 Unauthorized network card is plugged in. Power off and remove the
Mini PCI network card. "

There's a patch for the BIOS available; take a look and see if it's
something you're willing to try.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/thinkpad/wireless.html

Otherwise, you'll have to buy the card from IBM.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
Anonymous

Jerry Abrams wrote:
> No, that slot is probably for the built in 10/100 ethernet or modem.

The A30 Thinkpads all shipped with either a combination WiFi/Modem installed
there or the slot is empty.

Modem alone and the ethernet card are installed as Communication Daughter
Cards (CDC) and are separate from the mini-PCI slot.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2005 11:48:41 PM

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:lk6Nd.12930$QS5.2121@trndny06 "JHEM"
> <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
>
>> bren384@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> I've been looking all over the place for an internal wireless
>>> solution for this A30 that I recently acquired(let's hear it for
>>> leftovers!) and I was able to max out the RAM in it, but I've yet
>>> to find an
>>
>> It's WiFi ready and the mini-PCI cards are widely available on eBay.
>
> Current IBM laptops (A30 included) have checks in the BIOS that will
> only allow IBM-supplied wiFi cards to work in them, even if they
> appear to be "normal" cards from other vendors.

The A30 uses the ubiquitous Intel combo WiFi/Modem .11b NIC without any
problems.

There are tons of them on eBay as folks upgrade to a/b/g cards.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2005 12:01:30 AM

In news:JiaNd.11266$s16.4560@trndny02 "JHEM"
<James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

> Bert Hyman wrote:
>> In news:lk6Nd.12930$QS5.2121@trndny06 "JHEM"
>> <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

>>> It's WiFi ready and the mini-PCI cards are widely available on eBay.
>>
>> Current IBM laptops (A30 included) have checks in the BIOS that will
>> only allow IBM-supplied wiFi cards to work in them, even if they
>> appear to be "normal" cards from other vendors.
>
> The A30 uses the ubiquitous Intel combo WiFi/Modem .11b NIC without any
> problems.

OK; I didn't see any specific references to the A30 other than in the Web
site I mentioned, but R5x and T4x machines have been unable to use
off-the-shelf versions of the Intel 2200BG card without modifying the
BIOS, while they work just fine with 2200BGs obtained from IBM.

> There are tons of them on eBay as folks upgrade to a/b/g cards.

Good luck.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
!