Sign in with
Your question

Need a full checklist. Turn my rig into a HDVR

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2010 2:36:30 AM

Ok, I just bought a really nice laptop so I am not using my desktop that much. I figure I could use it a DVR for HD TV. I have never done this before, so I need to know the basics. Here are the specs of my Rig.

AMD Phenom Quadcore (3.2Ghz)
4GB DDR3
1TB Sata3 HDD
1GB ATI 5770
800 Watt PSU

If there is anything I need to upgrade please let me know. This was a pretty decent gaming rig. I know I need to by a TV Tuner what do you recommend.

I Have a generic HD TV, 720p nothing special. I am probably going to be buying a new one soon but that's a separate story. I use Comcast and I am currently renting a a Motorola Brand HD DVR from them. It looks like a long silver box.

So What I want is to be able to just the computer to record multiple shows in HD on different channels. I also want to use the TV as a monitor, so I can use it to watch the shows I recorded of course.

What do I need? What TV Tuner? What Box do I need from Comcast? Help me please.
October 7, 2010 3:57:04 AM

If you want to use your PC to replace the STB, you'll need a TV tuner with CableCARD capabilities like Ceton InfiniTV (click on link for info on it). You'll then have to rent a CableCARD form Comcrap. If you want it just to record you can get a normal TV tuner like a Happuage! 2250, but when Comcrap switched to digital from analog it rendered TV tuner cards useless. So if you want it simply for DVR capabilities stick with Comcrap STB. If you want it to get rid of the STB and use your rig to wacth and record TV. Buy the InfiniTV. Everything seems good on your rig, I would downgrade my PSU for HTPc though, 800 watts seems like overkill to me.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/

m
l
October 7, 2010 4:44:00 AM

Impressive. I like that tuner. Now, what exactly in your opinion is the benefit of using my rig as the stb instead of just for recording? Also how much does CC charge for there cablecards?
m
l
October 7, 2010 7:04:49 AM

iball8888 said:
Impressive. I like that tuner. Now, what exactly in your opinion is the benefit of using my rig as the stb instead of just for recording? Also how much does CC charge for there cablecards?

Benifits: You don't have to pay CC a DVR fee IDK about HD channels. It's not from CC lol. Storage is virtually unlimited, Windows Media Center 7 gui is beautiful (err. my bad if I spelled wrong lol). You can throw a Blu Ray drive in it, then it becomes a Blu ray player, STB, and DVR in one.

Cons: You'll lose On Demand. thats all I can think of when it comes to cons.

It really comes down to a personal preference. I don't have a HTPC, but I really like them and planning on building one eventually.

As far as the cablecard goes, you'll have to ughh rent it from CC for like $3-$5.

Hope this helps!
m
l
!