Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[NOOB] Do I need a CPU cooler if I do NOT plan on overclocking?

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2010 12:30:00 AM

Hey guys, I just bought the build suggested by Karma in this thread (thanks, Karma and all!):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/299414-31-budget-gami...

Here are the specific parts:

Mobo: ASROCK 880GXH/USB3 R
GPU: PALIT NE5X460SF1102 GTX460 1G
PSU: OCZ 500MXSP 500W RT
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740 3.0G AM3
RAM: 2Gx2 | CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9A G R
CASE: CoolerMaster RC-912-KKN1 RT

I forgot to order the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. If I don't plan on overclocking, do I need a CPU cooler at all? I thought that people said in other posts that either the CPU or mobo come with stock cooling units, but I didn't find anything that attached to the top of my CPU. Can the case fans provide all of the cooling or should I buy the Hyper 212+?

Also, if I buy a 212+, do I also need to buy aftermarket thermal paste?

Fyi, this is my first build. My rig will be under the heaviest burden while gaming.

Thanks again!
December 1, 2010 12:40:19 AM

Yes, you definitely need the CPU cooler! Since you bought the OEM model to save a few $, no fan included.

I would recommend the 212+, have one myself. I didn't have any trouble with the TIM that came with it!
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2010 12:58:07 AM

^+1 to jcamel.

Get the cooler now, because there is only a 30 day warranty on those chips.

It's a sweet CPU, and you should unlock the 4th core. Here are the instructions: AMD Core & Cache Unlocking Guide. Hint: you do not need to stress test for 24 hours.

Since you are in the bios anyway and have a heat sink, you might as well overclock: AMD Black Edition Overclock Guide.
Related resources
December 1, 2010 1:17:44 AM

Quote:
do I also need to buy aftermarket thermal paste?
The 212 should have paste....

Quote:
since you are in the bios anyway and have a heat sink, you might as well overclock: AMD Black Edition Overclock Guide.
Just take it slow and watch your temps... =D
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:54:25 AM

jcamel24 said:
Yes, you definitely need the CPU cooler! Since you bought the OEM model to save a few $, no fan included.

I would recommend the 212+, have one myself. I didn't have any trouble with the TIM that came with it!

Thanks! I just ordered one.
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:54:49 AM

Best answer selected by berkmtb.
m
l
!