Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Supported cpus?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2011 1:42:15 AM

Hey guys my pc is running the xps 720 motherboard. I have my bios updated to the latest version. I have 1 problem, I cant seem to find a list of supported processors for this motherboard. Unfortunately dell is of now help with this...if you check their patch notes for the latest bios it give NO info on it.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx...

I am looking for the best possible processors this motherboard can handle, if anyone has a complete list that would be great.

Really looking for an i7 quad core...I pray this mobo supports it.

Thanks so much guys!

More about : supported cpus

November 1, 2011 1:42:10 PM

Ahh i see, l thats no good. What is the best possible processor I could have with this motherboard? I currently have a q6700
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 2:29:48 PM

correct!!!!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 2:44:18 PM

@ Op, if you have a Dell XPS 720 with the nForce 680I SLI chipset, It supports up to Intel Core 2 Extreme CPUs which are powerful and comparable with AMD X6 CPUs.
You can get a used QX 9650 from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-2-Extreme-QX9650-3-0...

And it will be a good move from Q6700 to a C2Q 9650 or C2E QX 9650
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:06:03 PM

got a 4870x2...great graphics card. Do you know if there is a better cpu for this? May not be worth it if its a minor upgrade...but I could use one.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:08:37 PM

lga 775 fastest cpu is q9650.
m
l
November 1, 2011 3:11:40 PM

Ahh didnt even see the above post from ilysaml...thx guys i really appreciate it. I think I will pick that one up.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:13:24 PM

4870 X2 is great for DX9/10 games, you won't get any benefit from DX11, high tessellation and texture packs. So if you don't care about the DX11 too much, then you're more than fine with that GPU.

Minor Upgrade?? here's a comparison between my X6 1055T and the Quad Core Q9650
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=147

C2E will give you more overclocking benefits and exceed the performance of the 1055T
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:17:08 PM

ilysaml said:
4870 X2 is great for DX9/10 games, you won't get any benefit from DX11, high tessellation and texture packs. So if you don't care about the DX11 too much, then you're more than fine with that GPU.

Minor Upgrade?? here's a comparison between my X6 1055T and the Quad Core Q9650
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=147

C2E will give you more overclocking benefits and exceed the performance of the 1055T

why are you comparing c2q q9650 with 1055t his current mobo doesn't support amd cpu's
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:19:23 PM

I Compared it with AMD current CPU because that being said it's old technology.
The QX series are strong enough to handle all the current and upcoming games without any problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:20:06 PM

and we know that 1055t are latest sockets where as q9650 aren't however c2q can beat 1055t.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:24:49 PM

That's true, but it differs from one usage to another. for eg. the 1055T is sweet & better in multi threaded applications and video encoding operations.

And what you said regarding the LGA 775 socket is not true, some QX (core 2 extreme CPUs) are socket LGA 775 and better than the normal Quad Core Q9650
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:33:57 PM

Here is something to consider for the cost of that chip you could likely afford a Core i5-2400 along with a motherboard and the memory to go with it.

Comparison between the Q9650 and i5-2400 -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=363

This would also put you in a better position for future upgrades so just consider this before you spend your money..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:37:50 PM

Why everyone gets out of track ? the OP asked about upgrading to the most beneficial CPU and the QX is worth to upgrade.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:44:03 PM

ilysaml said:
Why everyone gets out of track ? the OP asked about upgrading to the most beneficial CPU and the QX is worth to upgrade.

Well I expressed what I said for two reasons A) I'm not sure if his system will support said chip as we don't have a CPU support list and Dell is not likely to support all of Intels CPU's as they are not targeting the upgrade community they only need to support what they are putting into their desktops and B) I figured what I said would be the best and most lucrative route.

But as I looked further into it I checked the BIOS he listed. The newest BIOS is dated 4/21/2008 the Q9650 you listed came out on August 10, 2008 or 8/10/2008. Will his computer even know what the Q9650 is? I'm not sure and I really don't want someone to spend almost $300 to find out.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 3:54:35 PM

If upgrading ANY CPU on ANY OEM CPU --- ONLY CONTACT the OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc). The BIOS CPUID information is deliberately VERY VERY LIMITED!!! IF the CPU isn't supported it still 'may boot' but when CPUID {BIOS coding How to run a CPU} is missing the CPU and thereby the entire system will be severely 'dummied-down.'

CONTACT DELL

See Tech Specs - http://www.dell.com/us/en/bpi/desktops/xpsdt_720/pd.asp...

Known supported CPU's:
ntel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6800 (8MB L2 Cache, 3.20GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6700 (8MB L2 Cache, 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 Cache, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 E6700 (4MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 E6600 (4MB L2 Cache, 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:17:39 PM

@ jaquith
Believe me Dell technical support sometimes give wrong info, i had a Dell 740 enhanced that according to them it supported AM2+ CPU and when i contacted them they said AM2+ CPU won't work.
Even, i bought it and it worked like a charm.

Giving a fast look at the Chipset nForce 680i SLI, it supports 1333 MHz FSB, Dell was just listing what it had of available CPUs
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600i_tech_specs.html
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:25:37 PM

Then ask for Tier2 Support ;) 

You don't have to convince me that the majority of ANY OEM's support is for 'the birds.' No argument here.

I found only the (5) Intel® Core™2 listed so crossing the fingers they should work.

--

edit: regarding the nVidia link - doesn't have anything to do with BIOS and CPUID. So I sure wouldn't relay on that list at all for the Dell 720!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:30:23 PM

Well, i'm not convincing you or anybody else i'm just telling my experience with them.
And if you think that those only 5 will only work, it doesn't make any sense.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:42:28 PM

As I've stated, "IF the CPU isn't supported it still 'may boot' but when CPUID {BIOS coding How to run a CPU} is missing the CPU and thereby the entire system will be severely 'dummied-down.' " Risk!

Clearly Dell hasn't listed ALL the CPU's, I did read the BIOS update "support new intel cpus" which means nothing without a Supported CPU list.

The BIOS on any OEM PC is extremely limited, and unless Dell lists the CPU's individually you or anyone is taking a risk - CONTACT DELL

--

This isn't my first Rodeo on this exact same issue.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:47:34 PM

For me, doing a hard research is better than contacting some OEM tech support.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 4:58:36 PM

I've not seen Dell "Specifically" list a CPU support list Unlike some other manufacturers do, you only able to find tha "UP TO INTEL XXX" in the product manual.

So i always follow up the BIOS revision fixes and enhances and the chipset limitations.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 5:12:28 PM

Then you are blindly guessing and assuming CPU support. AGAIN, if the BIOS lacks the CPUID (instruction set to operate) the CPU you get one of (2) things:
1. CPU Family support (Dummied-Down CPU)
2. Post Failure

I KNOW Dell, Gateway, HP, or any OEM PC manufacturer rarely IF ever lists the CPU support. The OEM will ONLY use the CPUID (BIOS) for the CPU's sold with that particular MOBO and often the same OEM MOBO will/can be used in a Series of PC's.

If this isn't sinking-in by now then I strongly recommend you do some research on this particular subject. I am 100% (not 99.99%) certain of what I recommending - CONTACT DELL
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 5:24:03 PM

I don't know why are you telling me all of this, and i don't know why you accuse me of "blindly guessing"

All what i'm telling and disagreeing with you on is that i don't believe them in everything they say.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 5:44:33 PM

expert vs veteran hehehe :) :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 5:52:46 PM

i would say q9650......
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 6:02:45 PM

jaquith said:
Then you really need to re-read your posts. Especially link 'stuff' like this -> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3... which suggests it's okay to run the QX9650. The QX9650 might boot and seem to run but is it running as it should.

The guy reported
Quote:
I have been running stable for more than 12H and counting running all kinds of stress apps/benchmarks (OCCT, 3DMark06, super pi...) to verify that indeed the 4 cores were being reported and used. Also, I cannot seem to be able to get any of the 4 cores temperature to go over 40C ;}!
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 6:08:00 PM

Both the Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650 and Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 have FSB Speed 1333MHz.

Whereas the Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 has FSB Speed 1066MHz and according to Dell is supported.

This entire POST has to do with Supported vs 'Unsupported' CPUs. It's not about what CPU is faster than the other!

The Quad Cores are fine and in many cases even with the Sandy Bridge on many games. Sure the 'fastest' is to get a new: CPU, MOBO, RAM, etc -- start from new.

Another problem is 'most' of the time the OEM BIOS lacks the ability, locks-out, to OC so getting an 'Extreme' CPU make very little sense.

Worst the availability of LGA 775 CPU's is very limited; see -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... and spending, even if supported, e.g. Q9550, $240+ on old technology is also CrAzY...
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 6:11:48 PM

ilysaml said:
The guy reported
Quote:
I have been running stable for more than 12H and counting running all kinds of stress apps/benchmarks (OCCT, 3DMark06, super pi...) to verify that indeed the 4 cores were being reported and used. Also, I cannot seem to be able to get any of the 4 cores temperature to go over 40C ;}!

Means ZIP - a Dummied-Down CPU 'can' run; (2) T-W-O Flavors: 1. Dummied-Down (e.g. Lobotomized), 2. Post Failure. Like running DDR3-1600 RAM at DDR3-1066 speed.

edit: 3. The BIOS has the CPUID and Eureka. CONTACT DELL!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 6:23:15 PM

jaquith said:
Quote:
This entire POST has to do with Supported vs 'Unsupported' CPUs. It's not about what CPU is faster than the other!

The OP asked about an upgrade (better CPU) = so including the term "faster" is meaningful.
Quote:
Another problem is 'most' of the time the OEM BIOS lacks the ability, locks-out, to OC so getting an 'Extreme' CPU make very little sense.

That true, but still some exceptions, that you still can OC via a software, it was even written in one of the AMD based XPS machines (Dell XPS 7100), and they (Dell) stated that AOD is supported for OCing.
Quote:
Worst the availability of LGA 775 CPU's is very limited; see -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... and spending, even if supported, e.g. Q9550, $240+ on old technology is also CrAzY..

Well, some users wouldn't mind as long as they know what they are paying for.

m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 6:50:30 PM

Better CPU = Quad Core or don't bother.

OC BIOS via 'software' requires the BIOS to allow the intrusion. IF the FSB, CPU Multiplier, vCore, etc are ALL locked-out then no software OC'ing on Intel or AMD. Replacing (PLL Chip) or hacking the BIOS is equally crazy and Appz like ClockGen typically fail.

IF the OP has a 2-core CPU AND can find a supported 4-core e.g. ($206) Q6600 then go for it! Example -> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q6600-2-4Ghz-Fsb1066Mhz-Lga...
m
l
November 1, 2011 10:27:28 PM

Did not think this topic would cause such a fuss...the little argument did provide me with some nice insight though, so thank you.

I do currently have a q6700 which is a quad core. I was always very hesitant about changing my mobo, I would LOVE to keep my tower if possible. The only problem is how would other motherboards "fit" into this tower...its freaking HUGE! Would any motherboard supporting intel i7 cpu's..."fit" properly?

"fit" = physically fit properly, as far as the ports in the back of the pc.

So to recap, I would LOVE to upgrade my mobo to support intel i7's...just worried about it fitting properly.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 10:46:20 PM

No it won't fit, Dell MOBO is a BTX board. Besides OEM Manufacturers have their own unique designs.
m
l
November 1, 2011 10:55:30 PM

Hmm I see, perhaps I will purchase a board...see just how it fits and alter this current case to fit it. May have to cut the back slightly....hmm.

Anyway I learned a ton, will purchase a new mobo, ram, and processor, see how it fits...if its a no go with the current tower...then I will purcahse a new one.

Anyone have any tower recommendations?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2011 11:16:27 PM

Then close this thread and open a new one in Systems section
m
l
November 1, 2011 11:50:18 PM

Best answer selected by Nekrage.
m
l