AMD versus Intel as an MMO gaming cpu

Pashtun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys, I am looking for some help when it comes to a gaming cpu. I am looking to play the mmo star wars the old republic, soon to be released. I have read several reports that intel i5 760 and up are the best gaming cpus out right now. However, the reports are based on games like crysis, and cod, which I understand are far more cpu intensive than mmos. I am looking to play the game on the highest settings with a 1920x1080 monitor.

My question is, will the high end AMD cpus run this game on high levels, with a great gpu as well as Intel i5 2500k or higher? Will intels cpu's make a difference when playing mmo games such as star wars?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

for the money the new reshipped sandy bridge cpus are a best bang for ur buck and will outperform amd in gaming, the 2500k is a great buy and not even the 6core amd tubans can beat it in gaming, id go with the 2500k , for its price and performance in gaming, overall it will be good for shooters , rts, mmorpgs we u trow at it, but dont forget u also need a good graphic card to go with it

can u list me ur current specs to see what needs upgrading than i can suggest something more specific :)

Pashtun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I think I am going to buy a gaming computer from ibuypower and was trying to lower the price. AMDs seem to be cheaper. you think intels will even play an mmo like star wars better than the 6-core AMD? I would rather get the 2500k myself, was considering the cheaper AMD...thank you.

popatim

Titan
While its hard to say what will work better in the unreleased MMO, I beleive you won't notice a difference between a fast AMD and a 2500k, its more to do with your graphics card. You probably won't need a 6+ core spu.

Maybe someone in on the beta will chime in.

Pashtun

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What's your budget OP and what's your monitors native resolution?

Looking to buy a new computer from ibuypower. Looking for right around $900. No more than $1100. I will be getting a new onitor that is 1920x1080 resolution. Trying to decide if a tv monitor would be better than a computer monitor, appears I could get a tv with 32in screen, where as the computer monitors are all around 25 in.

smittyboi

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Right now i would like to update my computer for gaming not specific to the type i need a good computer for a student on a tight budget could someone tell me what i need to upgrade and the price range i would be looking at?

The specs for my computer are as follows:

i3 530 2.93GHz
8GB RAM
Geforce GTX 460
Thermaltake TR2 600W

The motherboard and the CPU are all that is left from a premade Gateway DX4831 i even changed the case i am using a NZXT Gamma case.

If someone could help me out by telling me what i should be upgrading and an approximate price for the upgrade it would be much appreciated.

i5-2500k and a good motherboard would go around 300-400.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I never understand why people choose the 2500k for gaming over the PII 955. The $100 saved from going AMD over Intel can get you a better card.. look at it this way.

Intel + Mid range Card = 1-2 FPS increase
AMD + High end card = 10-20 FPS increase

Unless you game at absurdly low resolutions anything more then a 955 is a waste, for gaming. The bottle neck is in the GPU. If you had unlimited spending power, then you'd have a point.

If gaming is your primary concern, then the only real performance boost you will get from the Core i7 is 100MHz (2600k) or 200MHz (2700K). Games do not use Hyper Threading. The Core i7 also has 2MB more cache, but that will also not make much of a difference in games either.

If paying around $1 for each extra 1MHz sounds like a bargain to you, then go for it.

smittyboi

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

ya after i replied i looked up the price and saw the difference. thanks for the help.

This is essentially true. As long as the CPU is fast enough not to bottleneck the video card, at higher resolutions the difference between a fast AMD CPU and a fast Intel CPU will be none to relatively small depending on the game. Of course, if the game is very dependent on the CPU (most games are not), then there will be a noticeable difference.

Click following link for some old benchmarks. The review is prior to the release of the Core i series, but the concept still applies. I would post some of the benchmarks, but they are in Flash not images.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/3

G

....AMD has an octo core processor which can out do anything from intel, especially from a price perspective. who wants to pay £700/$1000 for intels new i7 processor when you can match it with an AMD!

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

you just made my day with this statement. Ive been sad for the past week in my upgrading decisions. lol