Sign in with
Your question

Help Monitor loses signal after upgrade.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2010 4:11:44 AM

Hi,

I upgraded my girlfriend's pc by adding a new psu and graphics card.

Here are the specs of her computer:

HP Pavilion p6510f Desktop: Athlon II 630 Quad-Core (2.8GHz) CPU, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HD, WiFi N, DVDRW w/ Lightscribe, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I added:

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

and

GIGABYTE GV-N98TGR-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Both bought from newegg with a combo deal. I installed them recently and now her monitor goes black for 2 seconds every once and a while about 12-20 times a day. It seems completely random too, nothing could be running and it will just blank out. I am worried that I may have miscalculated the power needs or messed up the install. Looking for advice.

One thing, which may make me sound stupid, is that I could not find a voltage switch on the psu. I am not super knowledgeable, so sorry if this sounds stupid.

I have also triple checked that drives are correct and that the power saving options are not interfering. On the bios I looked for options that might be throttling the power, but I could not find any.

Thank you for any help.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 7, 2010 8:36:33 AM

Dodgy driver install? Which one are you using? And there is no voltage switch on the PSU because it has an active PFC.
m
l
October 7, 2010 8:58:15 AM

Assuming the PSU is working properly (my standard disclaimer :)  ), it should produce 36 amps on the 12 volt rails.

The CPU will need no more than 10 amps - more likely 7 to 8 amps; the graphic card - 8 to 10 amps. That leaves plenty of power in reserve.

My guess is bad drivers or a defective video card. Go to the nVidia site and download the latest drivers for your card. After that, I would try the card in another system. If it does the same thing there, RMA the card.
m
l
October 8, 2010 1:15:18 AM

Here's the driver information:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Driver Date: 07/09/10
Driver Version: 8.17.12.5896

NVIDIA control panel
V. 3.3.532.01

Thanks for the help. Btw when I rma to Nvidia do I just go to their website, or something else?
m
l
!