Help Monitor loses signal after upgrade.

Hi,

I upgraded my girlfriend's pc by adding a new psu and graphics card.

Here are the specs of her computer:

HP Pavilion p6510f Desktop: Athlon II 630 Quad-Core (2.8GHz) CPU, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HD, WiFi N, DVDRW w/ Lightscribe, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I added:

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

and

GIGABYTE GV-N98TGR-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Both bought from newegg with a combo deal. I installed them recently and now her monitor goes black for 2 seconds every once and a while about 12-20 times a day. It seems completely random too, nothing could be running and it will just blank out. I am worried that I may have miscalculated the power needs or messed up the install. Looking for advice.

One thing, which may make me sound stupid, is that I could not find a voltage switch on the psu. I am not super knowledgeable, so sorry if this sounds stupid.

I have also triple checked that drives are correct and that the power saving options are not interfering. On the bios I looked for options that might be throttling the power, but I could not find any.

Thank you for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about help monitor loses signal upgrade
  1. Dodgy driver install? Which one are you using? And there is no voltage switch on the PSU because it has an active PFC.
  2. Assuming the PSU is working properly (my standard disclaimer :) ), it should produce 36 amps on the 12 volt rails.

The CPU will need no more than 10 amps - more likely 7 to 8 amps; the graphic card - 8 to 10 amps. That leaves plenty of power in reserve.

My guess is bad drivers or a defective video card. Go to the nVidia site and download the latest drivers for your card. After that, I would try the card in another system. If it does the same thing there, RMA the card.
  3. Here's the driver information:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Driver Date: 07/09/10
    Driver Version: 8.17.12.5896

NVIDIA control panel
    V. 3.3.532.01

Thanks for the help. Btw when I rma to Nvidia do I just go to their website, or something else?
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics