What's the fastes CPU optiplex 745 can take?

Hey guys I have been trying to find info about what’s the fastest cpu optiplex 745 mini tower can take all I see the fastest cpu can take is the Q6600 also I see it can takes 8GB RAM if any of you have experience with this pc model please let me know what the fastest cpu it can support, I know there is chipset bios update version 2.6.4 date 3/16/2010
18 answers Last reply
More about what fastes optiplex take
  1. well than u know the fatest cpu to upgrade to is a intel core 2 quad q6600, the ram is upgradable to 8 gigs of ram and u might need to upgrade ur bios to support that specific cpu, anything else u need to know? thanks
  2. what about the cpus below

Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67 GHz 2 × 4 MB 1066 MT/s 10× 1.1–1.372 V 105 W LGA 775

Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.67 GHz 2 × 4 MB 1066 MT/s 10× 1.1–1.372 V 130 W LGA 775

Core 2 Extreme QX6800 2.93 GHz 2 × 4 MB 1066 MT/s 11× 1.1–1.372 V 130 W LGA 775
  3. some one oced a dell with their weak boards.. I am impressed but I doubt it really happened.

4. Proof

David
  5. Quote:
    Where's king? He got a q6600 in his Optiplex and he did the BSEL mod on it. He's got a OEM Dell Pc overclocked to 3.2ghz stable lol. OP you can wait for him he knows everything about upgrading Dells but to my knowledge q6600 is the highest you can go. Those you listed are extreme versions and cost more than the new SB platforms you might as well do a mobo, ram and cpu upgrade then

Thanks Dadiggle
    But actually it is an E4300 1.8 800mhz pin modded to 2.4 1066mhz
    Just bought a E4500 and will try to get 2.93ghz with pin mod :)

With that said
    The 745 only offficially supports E2xxx,E4xxx and some E6600
    they have to be 65watt, 65nm and no higher than 1066 FSB

I have read threads across the web stating that a Optiplex can support
    q6600 BUT considering they are about 150 to 200 USD right it
    really doesnt make sense to buy one for an Ole Dell Opty :)
    Dadiggle is right
    at that price might as well do new build
    You could almost do a X 3 Rana mobo/cpu/ram/psu for that amount

I did get my E4500 for $50 shipping included so
    I figured why not
    I can end up with an Optiplex 745 with a 3.0ghz (2.93) Core2Duo
    I love making OEM pieces of crap do things they were never meant to do LMAO

Hopefully I dont have the magic smoke leave my cpu....
    they dont work right without the magic smoke in them LOL
  6. pollito said:
    Hey guys I have been trying to find info about what’s the fastest cpu optiplex 745 mini tower can take all I see the fastest cpu can take is the Q6600 also I see it can takes 8GB RAM if any of you have experience with this pc model please let me know what the fastest cpu it can support, I know there is chipset bios update version 2.6.4 date 3/16/2010

techically the fastest two without
    mods are
    E4700 and E6600
    and now it is proven
    it can use a Q6600
    but that is 2.4ghz with 4 cores

the E4700 is quicker (2.66?) but only two cores
    but half the price of q6600

I figured pin modding the E4500 to 3.0ghz for $50 was
    best performance to price deal

system specs are

Optiplex 745
    hopefully 3.0 E4500 1066mhz fsb 2mb l2
    4gb Gskill DDR-2 800 (BTW the 745 will only support 8gb with 533/667 ram not 800)
    250gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3.0gbps
    Sapphire 1gb HD4650 OCd (planning on getting a HD5670 soon)
    Asus Xonar DG
    280w Dell PSU
    Liteon 16x Sata DVD-RW
    Total current cost - $165

I dont know if the OP will post back
    but if you need help let me know
  7. stealthrt said:

Thank you David
    I have been looking for that screenshot
    I hope one day the Q6600 will be cheap enough I ebay
    and I too will have a Quad Core Opty 745

The Dell Dude would faint :)
  8. king smp said:
    Thank you David
    I have been looking for that screenshot
    I hope one day the Q6600 will be cheap enough I ebay
    and I too will have a Quad Core Opty 745

The Dell Dude would faint :)

Dell 745 SFF W/q6700 geekbench http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1111369 highest score for a dell 745 suppose a
    QX6800 would go higher..The Dell 745 supports Pentium D,s to 130 watts so it should handle a QX6800 if someone has one handy
    also supports graphic cards to 75 watts such as new SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card uses 60w MGP would make a great game playing combo.
  9. Today I can confirm that the 745 DT/MT will support a QX6800, using the stock copper heatsink.

10. McClarenDesign,

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying that you verified a QX6800 will work in a Dell OptiPlex 745? I have a mini tower OptiPlex 745 that a customer wants me to upgrade. He was interested in knowing what the fastest CPU it would support is, even if it isn't very affordable, and even if it makes more sense to buy a new board, I'd like to tell him with all certainty what the fastest CPU is this OptiPlex can handle.

Thanks.
  11. My Optiplex 745 SFF is currently running a Core 2 Extreme QX6800, AMD Radeon HD 7750 graphics and a Segate hybrid drive. OS Win 10.
    It has been running like this for a year and a half.
    It has blown one power supply.

The CPU runs hot mid 60's to 70's
    Get the heat-sink with 2 heat pipes, make sure its clean and the same with the fans,
    Use good heat sink goo like GC-Extreme or Kryonaut

Because it runs so hot your likely going to blowout the electrolytic caps around the CPU, I changed all of them out with polymer caps, ordered them from Mouser. I have the tools to do this so it was no big deal for me.
  12. Mech__ said:
    My Optiplex 745 SFF is currently running a Core 2 Extreme QX6800, AMD Radeon HD 7750 graphics and a Segate hybrid drive. OS Win 10.
    It has been running like this for a year and a half.
    It has blown one power supply.

The CPU runs hot mid 60's to 70's
    Get the heat-sink with 2 heat pipes, make sure its clean and the same with the fans,
    Use good heat sink goo like GC-Extreme or Kryonaut

Because it runs so hot your likely going to blowout the electrolytic caps around the CPU, I changed all of them out with polymer caps, ordered them from Mouser. I have the tools to do this so it was no big deal for me.

I'm assuming you're talking about the VRM circuit, right? Did you recap the whole board or just replace the ones in the VRM circuit? I recently did a complete board. It mostly had electrolytics. It even had some electrolytics that looked like polymers by the CPU in the VRM circuit that failed. There were some people, online, that thought I should have the capacitance because the polymers fire much faster than the electrolytics. I don't know if it would have worked if I halfed the capacitance or not, but I know doing a direct replacement (ie, 470uF electrolytic replaced with an ultra-low ESR 470uF polymer) seemed to work just fine. The only ones I didn't replace where the really small ones. I felt they hardly ever fail so there wasn't really a need. I mean, we're talking like 47uF or 4.7uF, stuff like that.

Thanks for sharing!
  13. I did the whole board except for the existing polymers caps which were not getting baked by the CPU. Probably overkill, it took 30 minutes with solder sucking tools to change them out. Its going to be the electrolytic's near the CPU that are going to give you trouble, on Ebay people sell capacitor repair kits. Visually I could see them leaking. Polymer caps are much better with heat and also have very low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). As far as values, whatever is on the cap and of coarse the same or higher on voltage. The VMR circuit seemed ok, and it still works so it must be. Also changed out the battery. Bios 2.6.6

Also added a Win 10 and Core 2 Quad sticker. It was supposed to be a joke computer as its so old but its still in production
  14. Mech__ said:
    I did the whole board except for the existing polymers caps which were not getting baked by the CPU. Probably overkill, it took 30 minutes with solder sucking tools to change them out. Its going to be the electrolytic's near the CPU that are going to give you trouble, on Ebay people sell capacitor repair kits. Visually I could see them leaking. Polymer caps are much better with heat and also have very low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). As far as values, whatever is on the cap and of coarse the same or higher on voltage. The VMR circuit seemed ok, and it still works so it must be. Also changed out the battery. Bios 2.6.6

Also added a Win 10 and Core 2 Quad sticker. It was supposed to be a joke computer as its so old but its still in production

I probably would have replaced the polymers next to the CPU as well, just as a precautionary measure. I had a board that was poor design and the caps in the VRM where under the actual heatsink. They looked like polymers but when I pulled the heatsink, I saw one was leaking! I was like what the heck? Polymers don't leak because they're not wet! Sure enough, they were cheap electrolytics that looked identical to polymers!

Some people say because the polymers fire so much faster, you should half the capacitance. I didn't though and didn't have any problems. I too felt that it was a bit overkill replacing all the electrolytics with polymers but eh, it didn't take a lot of time and didn't cost a crazy amount of money. I went with really nice caps. Some had a very, very high MTBF, 20,000 hours!!! I thought that was insane!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your information with me. It's much appreciated. Those OptiPlex 745's can be souped up a good bit, can't they? It doesn't cost a lot to max them out now-a-days and if you do it right, you can get a decent system to run some of the newer OSes on. Not too bad. One customer had two and said if I fixed one, I could keep the other. I might throw in one of them Core 2 Extreme QX6800's if I can find one cheap enough, used. Thanks!
  15. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6700-vs-Intel-Core2-QX6800

I changed it to the Q6700
    True the QX6800 will run in the Optiplex 745, but it is right at the limits of the heat sink, anything gets a little off and the CPU is stating to go beyond its max heat. The right answer is to increase the heat sink's heat removal ability by about 25 watts. That would mean building a custom heat sink, and for a 10 year old PC is too much work.
  16. Thank you Mech__. I planned on purchasing the QX6800 when things slowed down a bit. I was thinking about the heat sink problem you were describing and thought hmm, maybe a larger fan. But then I remembered the fan inside this Optiplex 745 is a pretty insane fan. I mean, I think that thing could cut some fingers off if I'm not careful! It would be nice if I could find a better heatsink to get the QX6800 in there, but if I have to settle for the Q6700, I guess that wouldn't be too bad. I really like those Extreme's though. The one I currently have has treated me very well. I believe the one I currently have is the fastest socket 775 processor out there as well, but don't quote me on that.
  17. I put the QX6800 back in, it is faster. What I did to fix the heat problem was to put 2 fans in the case, one on the left side just behind the CPU heat-sink and one in the back next to the power supply
    Mouser part # 5912-422JM
    This was done by a hole saw through the case and holes drilled for bolts. Used lock-tight on the nuts.
    The fans are noisy and can be used as a leaf bower too!
  18. Here is the final on using the QX6800 on an Optiplex 745 SFF. A full on stress test will make the CPU overheat, by Intel's definition, which is anything over 61C. The fans were not enough to cool it so I hooked up a (real) 5hp shop-vac directly to the heatsink. Still it would go over temp under max load. The instant the test would stop it would immediately drop to normal temp, instantaneously. The shop-vac probably dropped 3 or 4 Hg across the heat sink, this is far beyond what any normal fan would be capable of.
    Two possible options,
    Make a custom heat-sink
    Or water cooing, probably the easiest option
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Optiplex