Buy AMD Phenom II X6 1090T or wait for Sandy Bridge?

shanno06

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hi,

Im building my first pc. It will not be a gaming pc, I will mainly be using it for multitasking (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, some video encoding, general office work etc but not really for gaming-maybe Sims 3 or something tiny like that).

I was intended buying an Intel Core i5-760, and then I discovered the i5-2500k so I decided on that one. I had also thought of going AMD but I've always liked Intel products.

Then I discovered the chipset problems with the 1155 socket.

So Im wondering now, should I wait for the problems with the chipset to be sorted and buy an i5-2500k or should I go for an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T?

Or maybe Im overlooking the i5-760 too quickly?

Whatever the case, I want something future proof and the 1090T is definitely future proof but it may be another 7 or 8 years before six cores is actually used in a computer.

Im quite confused as to which one I should go for at this stage. As I said before its mainly for multi-tasking and something that will still be seem fast in the 4 or 5 years time.

Thanks.

popatim

Titan
If you're looking for future proofing, the I'd say wait and get either the sandybridge or bulldozer. Bulldozer may still be a while though, I dont recall a demonstratable unit yet; just 'this is how its going to work' reviews.

lol, right, we need to wait for real benchmarks, as u said popatim . but ya if u want to buy now get the 6core tuban amd or wait till amd brings out there new cpus or wait till intel drops priced on the 6core cpus, which wont happen until some time

shanno06

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Ok well say for example, I have Photoshop CS5, Dreamweaver CS5 running while converting a film to DVD format using ConvertXtoDVD and running Firefox. Is six cores useful for doing that or would I be better with a processor which is more powerful per core?

ur 6 cores will allow to do alot at the same time, in encoding and multitasking the amd beats intel, unless u speak of the 6core intels which are prohibitive in cost

ull enjoy the 6 core advantage beleive me in ur suitation

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Check out the charts on this page to get an idea of the difference in times (with programs like CS5) between the 1100T, i7 960, i7 2600k, i7 980X, and i7 990X. Lemme let you in on a secret: all the processors did better than the 1100T. So if I were you I'd wait for SB.

Hope this helps!

shanno06

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

I dont think its exactly fair to link to a comparison between i7s and a different AMD to the one I am thinking of getting.

If I had the budget by all means Id go for an i7 but I dont so I want the best for my budget which is around $200-220

christop

Distinguished
More cores doesn't mean it's better. Intel has always been higher in performance over amd. I would wait for Sandy bridge a 2600k oced will slap a 1100t to the ground.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Well it is in fact fair, as you did want to know what would perform better, the Phenom II x6 1090T or SB. Well the 1100T is better than the 1090T, and the i7 2600k crushed it in every bench. Wait for SB, it'll impress the *** outa you.

shanno06

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Ok Ill think Ill wait for the Sandy Bridge, but Im heading to the states in March for a week and could some parts cheaper off NewEgg and get them sent to my friends house where I'll be staying.

So Im wondering this: If I buy the Sandy Bridge i5-2500k now and keep it until the motherboard problems are sorted, will the processor fit the fixed motherboards (i.e. will the new motherboards be the same LGA1155 socket)?

Thanks.