Sign in with
Your question

DESPERATE: ATI HD 5670 being not working fully or my error?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 7, 2010 8:56:48 AM

So I have a phenom II x4 970 system with an SSD, MSI 890GX G65 mobo, no connected optical drives, a 430W Rosewill PSU, and a Powercolor Go Green Radeon HD 5670 PCI-E card. I've been having problems ALL night after building and installing windows to get this thing to boot and run well. I have narrowed it down mainly to the Powercolor card, which sometimes won't let the computer boot at all if installed (not even a BIOS beep)....

HOWEVER, if I start with my onboard gpu via d-sub connecter and then plug in DVI to PCI-e card, it has now been working. Then I ran the Windows 7 system test and the screen went black... for minutes. I gave up and restarted. What in the world am I doing wrong? I have drivers etc for everything.

UPDATE: So after doing that trick, I started a youtube video. Little yellow and magenta squares started flickering occasionally and more and more as video got going for real. Then screen went solid green, but I was able to escape out to the normal youtube IE window... Then computer restarted. Is this just a DOA card? I'm trying on-board GFX to see if anything goes weird....
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 9:09:36 AM

firstly, the PSU is a POS. replace it. even if its not the cause of the problem (which it may be) its not worth having in your system. i would not be surprised if it damaged your GPU.

the problem here is certainly with the GPU though, and the symptoms match the card being on the way to death. if you can claim it DOA, go for it. but dont put a new card in the system til you replace that awful PSU.
October 7, 2010 9:18:52 AM

You really think the PSU could've damaged a GPU that doesn't even connect to the PSU (directly, I mean... it's passively cooled)? It's obviously not a super powerful PSU, but I've got a very lower power system in comparison to most.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 9:42:32 AM

yes, it can and does. Bad PSUs can fry entire systems. Rosewills are awful units.

the problem may be with the card alone, but the fact that the PSU is in the system raises those fears. you can buy a corsair vx450 for a pretty good price on newegg. and its worth it.

But its not worth taking the risk of replacing the dead card while the PSU is still there, sicne if it did cause the problem it could do it again. (bear in mind, im not saying the PSU did cause the problem, but that its a possibility. and either way, needs to be replaced)
October 7, 2010 10:52:56 AM

I have a Silencer 610. And it is prpobably one of the best PSU's I have had. And it is over 3 years old. I wouldn't get a Rosewill. I heard bad things as well. If you buy junk. You get junk.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 11:24:42 AM

RMA the card, it has artifacts - green screen of death.
!