Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing Mobo for 2500k

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 26, 2011 6:51:46 PM

I've decided I'm going to be grabbing a 2500k once the boards do hit the virtual shelves again, but seeing some of the articles about new boards being shipped to retailers got me thinking.

What are the differences that users will find between the different manufacturer's boards? Is it going to solely be the physical setup of the boards or will there be other differences?

I want to be able to use dual graphics cards. Other than seeing if there is space between the ports I have no idea what else I'm looking at in a mobo.

Can someone give me a list of some sort about the typical differences between the manufacturers or is it on a case-by-case basis? If it is case by case, I would love to hear what people think/know about the new boards that will be coming out soon.

Thanks in advance

More about : choosing mobo 2500k

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 7:14:48 PM

Go with ASUS. Sabertooth all the way..
m
0
l
a c 134 à CPUs
a c 79 U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 7:38:24 PM

yes asus is a good company, and the big differences, are certain companies come with more sata3 connections, more usb 3.0 connectors , integrated overclocking software within the bios, it all depends on ur needs, and if u want to use 2 ati cards in crossfire or 2 nvidia cards in sli,

in all it depends on what u want specificly and if u want all the bells and whistles
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 7:54:34 PM

teelzy said:
I've decided I'm going to be grabbing a 2500k once the boards do hit the virtual shelves again, but seeing some of the articles about new boards being shipped to retailers got me thinking.

What are the differences that users will find between the different manufacturer's boards? Is it going to solely be the physical setup of the boards or will there be other differences?

I want to be able to use dual graphics cards. Other than seeing if there is space between the ports I have no idea what else I'm looking at in a mobo.

Can someone give me a list of some sort about the typical differences between the manufacturers or is it on a case-by-case basis? If it is case by case, I would love to hear what people think/know about the new boards that will be coming out soon.

Thanks in advance


It's hard one to say. Most motherboards act and function the same but there minor differences between them.

On the manufacturer level,

Gigabyte: they like to advertise they put in 2x the copper in there motherboards (not sure if anyone else puts 2x the amount of copper) and they have dual bios. The 2x the copper can lead to a cooler system and improved system stability.

Asrock (subsidiary of ASUS): (from what i seen of them) they have good prices for there motherboards and have have lots of features. If your wanting certain features (say for example USB 3.0 on an AMD motherboard) you'll find most of the time that it's them with those feature first. (EDIT: i should have said you'll find that feature on a motherboard cheaper than others)

Asus: hmmm.... im forgetting what there high point was ATM. it's just at the tip of the tongue. I'll edit when i remember.

As for the rest of the makers like MSI, i dont know as I haven't pay much attention.
m
0
l
February 26, 2011 8:05:09 PM

Thanks guys, keep the info coming! I have a really hard time finding unbiased opinions on the net and tom's seems to have some pretty unbiased and helpful people. (I know some people are biased here too, but there are more unbiased than anywhere else I've found)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 10:08:51 PM

teelzy said:
Thanks guys, keep the info coming! I have a really hard time finding unbiased opinions on the net and tom's seems to have some pretty unbiased and helpful people. (I know some people are biased here too, but there are more unbiased than anywhere else I've found)


No problem.

Overall though. just go with a name brand company (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, and MSI are the ones i recommend), get a board in your price range, and the feature(s) you want.

As for the Asus earlier, I dont remeber the original point but i do know from other people that Asus has some really, really good tech support.


m
0
l
February 26, 2011 11:45:37 PM

That MSI board sounds awesome, but a bit more than I truly need. Thanks for the good article though. Short and to the point about what the board had and why. Very helpful.

I personally don't really care about how the board looks as long as it is set up for being truly functional. I've read about boards that say they support crossfire but have the ports too close to support most newer, higher end cards.

I'm leaning towards a nvidia card and then adding a second card later so it sounds like I should be looking at a Gigabyte mobo supporting SLI.

Also, I've heard that XFX makes some nice cards with some good features for the price.

What I have so far...
Big Name Brand- Gigabyte or Asus
Chipset- P67 B3
SLI/Crossfire support
Easy OC features on-board


What I'm Still Looking for...
PCIe x16 vs x8 I've read that the difference isn't that great, but then again, if the price is also pretty close, why not go for the x16, right?
How is Gigabytes tech support?
Benefits of crossfire cards versus SLI

I realize this is getting a lot longer than just choosing a mobo but you guys seem to know something about everything.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 12:26:09 AM

teelzy said:
That MSI board sounds awesome, but a bit more than I truly need. Thanks for the good article though. Short and to the point about what the board had and why. Very helpful.

I personally don't really care about how the board looks as long as it is set up for being truly functional. I've read about boards that say they support crossfire but have the ports too close to support most newer, higher end cards.

I'm leaning towards a nvidia card and then adding a second card later so it sounds like I should be looking at a Gigabyte mobo supporting SLI.

Also, I've heard that XFX makes some nice cards with some good features for the price.

What I have so far...
Big Name Brand- Gigabyte or Asus
Chipset- P67 B3
SLI/Crossfire support
Easy OC features on-board


What I'm Still Looking for...
PCIe x16 vs x8 I've read that the difference isn't that great, but then again, if the price is also pretty close, why not go for the x16, right?
How is Gigabytes tech support?
Benefits of crossfire cards versus SLI

I realize this is getting a lot longer than just choosing a mobo but you guys seem to know something about everything.


Well lets brake this down.
Quote:
e x16 vs x8 I've read that the difference isn't that great, but then again, if the price is also pretty close,


You are correct. there isn't much of a difference. Current gpu's just cant process enough data to use full PCI-e 2.0 X16 bandwidth. Now, if you had an super raid array, that might be a different story. So there no need to worry about x8 vs x16

Quote:
How is Gigabytes tech support?

Even though i've had a gigabyte motherboard for 6 years (died in late oct.) i've never had to call them. So i dont know how well there tech support is. [:grahamlv:3]


Quote:
Benefits of crossfire cards versus SLI


Well..... in the VS term...... there is none other than how well they scale with multi gpu's. (last i checked SLI was a little bit better the crossfire)

Reason for that is, there nearly the same tech. There just for either ATI/AMD cards (crossfire) or nvidia cards (SLI).

Quote:
I realize this is getting a lot longer than just choosing a mobo but you guys seem to know something about everything.


Sorry, were still debating what is going to happen in 2012. :lol: 


Anyways, for computers, when you have multiple peoples on the forums with different computer skills, we tend to apper that way. :sol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 12:36:32 AM

Quote:
Lol I wasn't referring the board to you as you can see I called it the Big Bang Overkill lol. Just wanted to show it to you lol.

Gigabytes support is excellent. They're stuff are quality. If your into overclocking you can't really look further than Gigabyte.

Now Asus boards are boards that were designed before SB was released. In between them a lot has happened. They had to let go 20000 workers. They parted from their manufacturing partner who was responsible for the good quality boards Asus produced. They slipped down in the market. Asus are going to focus on the laptop industry. In the overclocker community everyone had the feeling Asus is not Asus as before as the boards performances started to drop.

Now the company who made Asus stuff joined with AsRock. That's why people think AsRock are a sub devision of Asus but they are not.

So the future of Asus boards and its quality don't look very bright and they are going to turn their attentions to the laptop business.

But it still don't mean their current boards ain't good enough as its still of their pre self destructing era stuff.

You can have a look at this board

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 CF/SLI (2*16x,2*8x) 6xUSB3.0

It features one PS/2, six USB 3.0, two Hybrid USB 2.0/E-SATA, two USB 2.0, S/PDIF Out via Coaxial and Optical, Two FireWire (One regular, one Mini), E-SATA, Dual GigabitLAN and 8 Channels audio on the back. On the board itself, you have four PCI-Express 2.0 16X (16x,16x, 8x,8x), one PCI-Express 1X, two PCI slots, four SATA 3.0Gb/s and four SATA 6.0Gb/s ports


um last i checked, asus made Asrock back in 2003....... and Asus had plenty of great motherboards after they formed Asrock.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 for the LGA 1336 socket is a really good example of a High end motherboard in it's era. Heck, I saw that motherboard recommend for the core i7 920 more times than i can remember.
m
0
l
February 27, 2011 12:49:44 AM

Thanks again! More great info. Now I just have to wait for the new boards to come out so I can try and decide which one will really be the best for me! I feel like I'm certainly in a better place than I was earlier today in terms of understanding what I should be looking for/at.
m
0
l
February 27, 2011 1:08:53 AM

Considering you purchased a 2500k I'm gonna assume that this is a gaming/multimedia and possibly a light editing computer your trying to build? Anyway, do you really really wanna use two video cards? There's gonna be more heat, depending on your desired resolution it may be a complete waste of money...

Why not get a gtx 570 or 580 now? Or wait until the dual gpu's debut..it shouldnt be too long from now...

As for the motherboard, just get something light on the wallet..perhaps a p8p67 pro? At least this way if you decide to crossfire or sli later down the road you have the option to...essentially you wanna start off smaller, and if you require more power then make the necessary adjustments..don't get two powerful cards or something unnecessary and later discover that it was a waste of money...your just going to end up getting rid of it and losing money...come on son
m
0
l
!