Old dell motherboard in a new case

jehuty

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
is the dell xps 7100 gk1k2 system board compatible in an apevia x-trooper case?

i bought the case and a new power supply and wanted to put my old dell mobo into it. i put it in, but am only getting a stationary yellow led at the top left of the mobo when i turn on the psu switch.

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Some of the older dell motherboards had custom power supply along with switches and buttons. I can't seem to easily find the schematic for your motherboard.

Does your new power supply have enough power to make your system work?

jehuty

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

yeah i have the apevia beast power 680w

It may or may not be compatable - sorry, can't tell. Or, you may have an assembly issue.

The mobo looks like an ATX (not a BTX). If the back panel and the expansion slots lined up correctly with the correct openings in the case when you assembled it, then at least the form factor is correct.

Many Dells have circuitry that lights up a series of 4 diagnostic leds on the case front panel. Your old case may have them, but your new case doesn't.

As Joe said, some older Dells had proprietary PSUs and mobos. Don't know about your system, but I tend to doubt this is the problem.

Did you have to install the mobo standoffs in your new case, or were they pre-installed? It is critical that the standoffs in the case line up with screw holes in the mobo. If not, the board will likely short out and not start.

Did you plug the start switch leads on the correct pins of the front panel header?

Did you plug the 20/24 pin and 4/8 pin connectors into the mobo?

Were there any wires you disconnected while removing the mobo from the Dell case that had no counterparts in the new case?

Just some ideas for you to consider - hope they help.

Can't find a review on your PSU, but it's not one we would recommend. [strike]If it worked before the case swap, it should be OK afterwards.[/strike]

Edit: The PSU is new.

joe_newbuilder

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I tend to agree that the mother board LOOKS like a standard board.

~I would say take it all apart and but just the ,psu, the power on switchmotherboard, video card and a single dim in the case and try it again.

When I have had issues like this it was typically something stupid such as the power on is wired slightly differently and I didn't pay attention.

I figured this out by shorting my motherboard power on pins with a nickle,NOT RECOMMENDED,(though it did work for me)

lol - definitely not recommended. I use a screwdriver :)

Seriously, that's a sure test - we use it all the time. Remove the Power Sw leads from the mobo, and momentarily short the two pins with a screwdriver. Same thing the Power Switch does.