Upgrade now or later?

I am running following config at my home.

Core i5 750
2x Radeon 5870
2x2GB RAM
3x1080p monitors.

I was thinking of upgrading in the next couple of months with Sandy Bridge and 2x 580/6970. But with Ivy Bridge and next gen Nvidia/AMD cards scheduled for later next year, I am unable to make up my mind if I should wait or not.

Please advise.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade later
  1. itisravi said:
    I am running following config at my home.

    Core i5 750
    2x Radeon 5870
    2x2GB RAM
    3x1080p monitors.

    I was thinking of upgrading in the next couple of months with Sandy Bridge and 2x 580/6970. But with Ivy Bridge and next gen Nvidia/AMD cards scheduled for later next year, I am unable to make up my mind if I should wait or not.

    Please advise.


    I am currently trying to decide if I want to go from a single 5770 to a 6870 now or wait until the 13th for the 69xx. I know the decision you are trying to make is not very similar to my dilemma, but I know that if I had two 5870's running, I would skip the 69xx series completely and wait until later in 2011 for the new design. This is coming from someone that knows very little, but with what little I know of architecture progression/design, I would hold off on the 69xx/580 and wait. GL!
  2. Upgrades are motivated by need, boredom, or ego.

    We have no idea what you do with your system, but it should pretty much be able to do anything you ask of it. So there is likely no need for an upgrade.

    Can't evaluate the rest.
  3. Quote:
    I am running following config at my home.

    Core i5 750
    2x Radeon 5870
    2x2GB RAM
    3x1080p monitors.

    I was thinking of upgrading in the next couple of months with Sandy Bridge and 2x 580/6970. But with Ivy Bridge and next gen Nvidia/AMD cards scheduled for later next year, I am unable to make up my mind if I should wait or not.

    Please advise.
    I'd wait on a GPU upgrade, and buy a SSD! =D... Mushkin SSD (60gig) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226151 ~ 129.99 or Mushkin SSD (120gig) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152&cm_re=mushkin_ssd-_-20-226-152-_-Product ~ 235.99.... or any Sandforce based SSD....

    Quote:

    I am currently trying to decide if I want to go from a single 5770 to a 6870 now or wait until the 13th for the 69xx. I know the decision you are trying to make is not very similar to my dilemma, but I know that if I had two 5870's running, I would skip the 69xx series completely and wait until later in 2011 for the new design. This is coming from someone that knows very little, but with what little I know of architecture progression/design, I would hold off on the 69xx/580 and wait. GL!
    I'd upgrade to 2 5770s... it is cheaper, plus the 2 GPUs are roughly equal to 5850s....
  4. Twoboxer said:
    Upgrades are motivated by need, boredom, or ego.

    We have no idea what you do with your system, but it should pretty much be able to do anything you ask of it. So there is likely no need for an upgrade.

    Can't evaluate the rest.

    I use the system for gaming across 3 monitors. I have had to drop the graphics quality in a few recent games to run them smoothly and a few more will likely appear in the next few months.
  5. Quote:
    I use the system for gaming across 3 monitors. I have had to drop the graphics quality in a few recent games to run them smoothly and a few more will likely appear in the next few months.
    WHat games? metro 2033?
  6. Keep in mind that the motherboards/chipsets for sandy bridge WILL support ivy bridge so you could go either way with this. Considering that you already have a very capable CPU, i would stick with it for a while and just upgrade the video cards if need be, then when the sandy bridge platform is matured and prices start going down, go for it...

    If you have unlimited cash then by all means, rip it up and get everything the first day it arrives
  7. itisravi said:
    I use the system for gaming across 3 monitors. I have had to drop the graphics quality in a few recent games to run them smoothly and a few more will likely appear in the next few months.
    Can't be sure, but you are probably running into both cpu and graphics issues depending on the game. With two major announcements coming, it would seem prudent to wait.

    In January you should be able to pick up a 750 replacement with a 10%-20% performance increase or more. AMD is supposed to announce a 69xx series soon . . . it should show more performance than what's currently available, or at least reduce the price of current offerings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product