Some help choosing please

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
So my rig (A DELL DIMENSION C521 that amazingly still runs the newest games) is dead or at least very near death. I am a gamer and I want something that will run the newest games and make them all shiny and pretty. Now, the way I figure it this Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz has been doing the job and it is old. So then a newer system with a better CPU should really do well. The problem is I dont know enough.

So, I am thinking that the systems I list here should get it done and do it with a few upgrades. I know that memory and video card upgrades will be needed but I am saving for a really good system but need to game in the mean time. Any advice would help out a lot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108362

K320-30192GU Cant find a link for this one oddly. Core i3 3.2GHZ, 6GB DDr3 Ram, 1TB HDD,

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1352-53

As I am sure you can see price is the big issue here. I dont have much budget at all and so I am struggling to save as it is. A cheap system that can just do 'good enough' is all i need for now. Normally I would save and just buy it outright, but since I am need now I have to finance it (hence the bestbuy links) so if anyone knows a good place to get the system with something like the bill me later feature I could really use the advice.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance guys and gals. :)

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Lol I really want to! I just need something that will do while I get the parts to build a good rig. This silly DELL was my first PC and I learned a lot (the hard way since it is a dell) about upgrading and installing. I want to make my own system and do it right once I get the parts, in the mean time I just want to have something that will work.

This thing is getting old and she still runs but she keeps dying on me lately. Could be the PSU, maybe the 9800GT is going, maybe she just wants to die. In any case I need an upgrade anyway but it does not have to be spectacular, thats what I want from the system I build. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are going to buy a pre-built, what is your budget? Of the 3 systems you listed, only 2 can be viewed and I would choose the Lenovo over the eMachines, hand down.

Regardless, both Dell and HP are running some great holiday deals and you can get some good deals from sites like newegg.com. I would recommend that you get a capable discrete GPU as well with your system (add yourself or buy with the system) as opposed to using an integrated GPU solution.

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I know Iam going to need a good GPU and that is why I am looking at systems that are in the 400-500 range. Just enough CPU and RAM with a decent GPU is what I have always had and seems to do the trick.

atotalnoob, the bestbuy links did the same thing to me and for some reason they always just redirect eventhough they work if you copy and paste.

So I take it the Core I3 is a good cpu? I really just know that my Athlon X2 is what was holding this system back and that an I3 should be better.

Oh sorry, the Lenovo also has an option to come with a Core I3 CPU, I dont know if the Athlon II X2 is better.

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Wow, thanks thats a very cool find. I may just look into this a bit more.

How does this look? Phenom2 X2 N620 2.8GHz 500GB 4GB(2DM) DVDRW(LS) 15.6HD(1366x768) BV WLAN NIC 5-in-1 ATI Radeon HD 4250 Entertainment Cam NB PC for $550? The Phenom2 X2 is good from what I hear.

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks again kitaware! Ok so here are the apps I will need primarily:

Gaming, the newest stuff obviously, although I use my PS3 mostly for gaming I would like to run PC titles like civ 5 and sims 3 (my wife is in love with the sims too lol) at max.

Photoshop. I do a lot of concept work with this so it is important.

UDK. The concept work is for a game I am creating with a small team. I know that a work station is really needed for this but for now just being able to do some basic work is good.

3DS Max, again, building a game.

Let me be clear that I do know that a budget system is NOT going to cut it for game development, but I just hope it will do for the basics like level design and 3DS. Fortunately the team is doing most of the technical work, I am the concept and story guy. I wrote it they are helping to build it.

I think that building a system on Cyberpower or Ibuypower is my best choice now. The I5 seems a good choice so how about this:

* CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz 4M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156 [-30]
* HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
* MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+94] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] EVGA P55 TR Intel P55V Chipset DDR3 Socket 1156 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, & 2 PCIe X1 [+1]
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+79] (EVGA Superclocked [+15])

It turns out to be more than I wanted to spend but with the option to pay over time it is managable.

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Oh wow thats close! I live in Wayne. Thank you much for the offer of help too, I appreciate it a lot. Hopefully I can find some work soon then I will start building a system. I have a slight advantage since I am living with my parents again. My dad had cancer and I moved in to help them out. Now that the cancer is gone (WOOHOO) I am still here. They like having me around and they also like my girlfriend so she stays here a lot too. All is well :) We always joke about her having an apartment for her cats.

Got a little carried away with the life story there, sorry bout that. Anyway, I am thinking that I may just build an I5 system and run another 9800GTX in SLI. The card is still pretty good and I can always upgrade that easily. The only question I have is does SLI support multiple monitors? My HDTV is awesome as a monitor and my HP w2338h monitor is 1080P so i would like to keep both.

Oh quick edit:

If I upgraded the PSU and graphics card on my current rig would that help out any?

one more edit to be clear: I said my wife loves the sims in an earlier post, she is my girlfriend whom I refer to as my wife. So i am not cheating on anyone, girlfriend and I are going to get married at some point so I just call her my wife often. she likes that :)

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Woah nice finds, I had not really considered upgrading this one any more but now it seems reasonable. I have windows 7 now so no worries on that. It is easy to do with the disc, I know what you mean.

Manji022

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Lol, the side panel is off entirely, mostly for cooling. The back of the case is cut and bent to allow for the card. Its a monster lol. My friends call it the frankenstein. I also have duct tape holding my dvd drive in place because my old one died and the new one, for whatever reason wont stay put.