Sign in with
Your question

Socket 370 P3 System For 2011

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2010 6:42:41 AM

Hello,

I already have a fairly new laptop, and am interested in building an older system just to prove to a few friends that you can build a computer yourself with used ebay components and stuff from thrift stores for under $100. I want to have something that is perfectly capable of web browsing, office applications, and netflix/hulu/youtube. Someone told me P4 chips/chipsets are generally much less power efficient than Pentium M chips/chipsets, but I might just want to go with a P3 setup since those are more plentiful and cheaper than M-class. The last PC I built was probably around the year 2000.

I would like to hear some peoples' opinions on what type of system they would build to prove a point and get the tasks mentioned above accomplished without embarrassing wait times. I thought I could get something around 1GHz+ P3, Socket 370, AGP video card, old 10 to 20GB HD, maybe 1GB of ram (all from ebay, etc.) and put them in an old case i find at a thrift store with maybe a 300W power supply and throw in a floppy drive just to make the system look older yet surprise the doubters when it can do everything they use their computer for.

Thanks for all input you have, and remember... the key is: cheap, stable, ebay, used, old, ...cheap :) 

More about : socket 370 system 2011

a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 6:49:35 AM

Good luck for this....
Quote:
Someone told me P4 chips/chipsets are generally much less power efficient than Pentium M chips/chipsets
Techinically it is true, but the Pentium mobile is using lower frequencies....

No offense, but this is funny....=p
Quote:
netflix/hulu/youtube
Install Googe chrome, it works surprisingly well on P4s......lol...

*brags* I have a fanless P4..... **it works**
m
l
December 1, 2010 6:53:29 AM

haha... well that's fine if you think it's funny, i was just trying to mention what many people use their computers for these days and think they have to buy a $1000 apple that came out last month :) 

how old/cheap could i go? and what should i look for and what should i avoid as far as chipsets, socket types, processor types/brands/classes in this "era"?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 7:11:16 AM

Quote:
i was just trying to mention what many people use their computers for these days and think they have to buy a $1000 apple that came out last month
mehh apple stinks (plus it is 5000000000000000$ for the new one that came out last month... it is a bit steep, but.... a 5 year old CPU is *worth* it...)

Quote:
how old/cheap could i go? and what should i look for and what should i avoid as far as chipsets, socket types, processor types/brands/classes in this "era"?
piece together anything possible.
m
l
December 1, 2010 12:23:46 PM

in this era of computers, what is the bottleneck for smooth video playback? do i need more than a 1ghz CPU? 64mb+ video card?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 12:38:50 PM

In the era of computing technology (P3), you are going to be using AGP, PCI, or integrated video. By today's standards, all of those are going to limit your video playback effectiveness. Of the 3 interfaces, AGP provides the best bandwidth and AGP cards are still fairly common and available. I would suggest a GPU with at least 256MB RAM and as fast a P3 as you can find (1.3Ghz).

Also, make sure you max the memory for the mobo you choose. Here you are going to likely be limited to 1GB (maybe 2GB) of PC100/133 SDRAM. If that is the case, don't try to use anything more modern than Windows XP (better yet would be Linux).

I would further suggest, however, that you go with an early Athlon 64 or P4 mobo based system. You can have more memory and GPU options (still looking at AGP or PCI-E). Something to think about and would be much more capable for current apps.

Good luck!
m
l
December 1, 2010 12:42:34 PM

also, if you look around there are people that are willing to GIVE you their old system after they buy a new one so it is possible to get a P4/Athlon 64 rig for free. This is speaking from experience, i received 2 P4's in a week about a year ago and just gave away my old Athlon 64 rig a month ago
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 1:04:46 PM

Sounds like a fun project. I have an old PIII-800, w/ 512Meg RAM and an ATI 9200 AGP graphics card. I've been trying to think up uses for this old thing, but not wanting to drop a ton of money on it (never been a big fan of EBay, either). Maybe I'll revisit this after the holidays.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 1:08:32 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Sounds like a fun project. I have an old PIII-800, w/ 512Meg RAM and an ATI 9200 AGP graphics card. I've been trying to think up uses for this old thing, but not wanting to drop a ton of money on it (never been a big fan of EBay, either). Maybe I'll revisit this after the holidays.

-Wolf sends

These sorts of systems make great Linux firewalls and/or small file servers with additional HDDs. All can be done for little or no $$$ with parts we all tend to accumulate.

+1 to mindless728 as well. Often folks buy newer systems and are in need of clearing out closet/garage/storage space as a result of the old system. Post a notice on craigslist and you may find more "donations" than you would imagine.
m
l
December 1, 2010 1:12:05 PM

great, thank you all for your input! ill let you know what i come up with :) 
m
l
!