Sign in with
Your question

How do i find out what video card slot my computer has

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 2:52:02 PM

Hello,
i have a hp pavilion a6000n pc with an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card...... built in i believe. I want to upgrade and need to know what slot i have. any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 3:08:39 PM

According to this SPEC sheet on your hp pavilion a6000n - you have one PCI-e x16 slot so you can use any PCI-e video card !

m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 3:36:32 PM

thank you very much
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 6:02:16 PM

Not just any video card. Note that you might not have a PCI-Express 2.0 slot, and thus a 2.1 video card wouldn't work in a 1.0 slot. Verify which version of PCI-Express you have first before buying a card.
m
l
October 7, 2010 6:15:09 PM

borisof007 said:
Not just any video card. Note that you might not have a PCI-Express 2.0 slot, and thus a 2.1 video card wouldn't work in a 1.0 slot. Verify which version of PCI-Express you have first before buying a card.

What???????????
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 6:19:15 PM

borisof007 said:

Pci 2.1 and 2.0 are both fully backward compatible so will work in any PCI-e x16 slot including a PCI-e 1.0 !!

NOTE : Even the new PCI-e 3.0 spec that will be coming next year is suppose to be backward compatible as well as stated on Wikipedia :

Quote:
PCI Express 3.0

In August 2007, PCI-SIG announced that PCI Express 3.0 would carry a bit rate of 8 gigatransfers per second, and that it would be backwards compatible with existing PCIe implementions. At that time, it was also announced that the final specification for PCI Express 3.0 would be delayed until 2011,[15] although more recent sources (see below) state that it may be available towards the end of 2010. New features for the PCIe 3.0 specification include a number of optimizations for enhanced signaling and data integrity, including transmitter and receiver equalization, PLL improvements, clock data recovery, and channel enhancements for currently supported topologies.[16]
m
l
!