Sign in with
Your question

Recommendations for a high quality speaker system with this soundcard?

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2011 11:36:00 PM

I have an uber gaming rig, and I plan on buying the Creative X-Fi Fatality Titanium Edition. I was told that if you're going to get a good sound card, you should get some good speakers to go along with it. Could you recommend a 5.1 system which gives good gaming sound quality? Preferably THX certified?

Do they have wireless speakers which you can mount on the wall?
a b 4 Gaming
February 27, 2011 2:43:49 PM

From my experience a quality 2.1 set-up usually sounds better with a good soundcard.
m
l
February 27, 2011 3:48:08 PM

I've looked at this for my brother-in-law recently, the only readily available THX certified computer speakers are Z5500 which are around £400 RRP.

Getting hold of a fully wireless surround system for less than £1000 is near-impossible, although wireless rear speakers are available, you pay quite a lot for the privelage...

Personally I would go for a hifi separates solution for the money above, it gives you better flexibility - i.e. connect sky, bluray, dvd, xbox, ps3 etc plus they generally sound better, are compatibile with newer surround formats tru-hd and dts-master audio and you can keep the speakers, upgrade the amp and vice versa when new tech comes out.

Start by looking at Onkyo HT-S6305 £408, Onkyo HTX-22HD + SKS11
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 5:44:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah but if you go digital then you dont need the soundcard then..

Why not? I use the digital out on my Forte into my Onkyo receiver. Whilst analog may be uncompressed, the digital connection sounds much cleaner.
Without a sound card that can do DD live, or DTS connect how would you get a digital connection?

Unless you're sticking to 2.1, which is a waste.
m
l
March 2, 2011 6:50:25 PM

jay_l_a said:
Why not? I use the digital out on my Forte into my Onkyo receiver. Whilst analog may be uncompressed, the digital connection sounds much cleaner.
Without a sound card that can do DD live, or DTS connect how would you get a digital connection?

Unless you're sticking to 2.1, which is a waste.

The creative x-fi fatality cards are made specifically for gaming. Other sound cards like the ASUS brand are more for things like professional audio editing, music, and for blu-ray movies.

The only downside of the creative cards are their notorious driver problems. I believe the creative x-fi "fatality" pro and titanium editions offer top-tier audio quality for gaming. I'm not sure about how it compares to the $400 ASUS Xense, but I am not in any financial position to drop $400 on a sound card.
m
l
March 2, 2011 7:42:41 PM

Quote:
which gets converted by your receiver. So what does your soundcard do again except for just passing the signal on?

OP here are some speakers to look at

Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0
Creative Inspire T3130 15 Watts 2.1
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital

they are priced from 27usd to 380usd

I'm looking for speakers which are geared towards gaming. Perhaps surround sound or THX certified.
m
l
!