Recommendations for a high quality speaker system with this soundcard?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I have an uber gaming rig, and I plan on buying the Creative X-Fi Fatality Titanium Edition. I was told that if you're going to get a good sound card, you should get some good speakers to go along with it. Could you recommend a 5.1 system which gives good gaming sound quality? Preferably THX certified?

Do they have wireless speakers which you can mount on the wall?

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I've looked at this for my brother-in-law recently, the only readily available THX certified computer speakers are Z5500 which are around £400 RRP.

Getting hold of a fully wireless surround system for less than £1000 is near-impossible, although wireless rear speakers are available, you pay quite a lot for the privelage...

Personally I would go for a hifi separates solution for the money above, it gives you better flexibility - i.e. connect sky, bluray, dvd, xbox, ps3 etc plus they generally sound better, are compatibile with newer surround formats tru-hd and dts-master audio and you can keep the speakers, upgrade the amp and vice versa when new tech comes out.

Start by looking at Onkyo HT-S6305 £408, Onkyo HTX-22HD + SKS11

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah but if you go digital then you dont need the soundcard then..

Why not? I use the digital out on my Forte into my Onkyo receiver. Whilst analog may be uncompressed, the digital connection sounds much cleaner.
Without a sound card that can do DD live, or DTS connect how would you get a digital connection?

Unless you're sticking to 2.1, which is a waste.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

The creative x-fi fatality cards are made specifically for gaming. Other sound cards like the ASUS brand are more for things like professional audio editing, music, and for blu-ray movies.

The only downside of the creative cards are their notorious driver problems. I believe the creative x-fi "fatality" pro and titanium editions offer top-tier audio quality for gaming. I'm not sure about how it compares to the $400 ASUS Xense, but I am not in any financial position to drop $400 on a sound card.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
which gets converted by your receiver. So what does your soundcard do again except for just passing the signal on?

OP here are some speakers to look at

Logitech X-140 5 watts 2.0
Creative Inspire T3130 15 Watts 2.1
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Digital

they are priced from 27usd to 380usd

I'm looking for speakers which are geared towards gaming. Perhaps surround sound or THX certified.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

The best "sounding" game I have ever played is probably Battlefield Bad Company 2. This is one of the games that will benefit the most from a high-end gaming soundcard.