Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Motherboards
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2011 12:26:01 AM

hey all just wondering what is better cpu and what motherboard to pair it with for a gameing spec.

AMD's Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz

15-661 clarkdale 3.33ghz

More about : phenom

February 27, 2011 1:16:02 AM

If you have overclocking utilities on your motherboard and good PSU. I would recommend i5. It is lot faster than X4 965. You can overclock it to 4 ghz and more.
m
l
February 27, 2011 1:57:22 AM

According to the Tom's Hardware charts as found at: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2... , the AMD is actually faster. If you were to overclock this AMD processor aswell, then it would be much faster. I would almost bet that it is a cheaper processor too. Hope this helps!
m
l
Related resources
a c 346 à CPUs
a c 266 V Motherboard
February 27, 2011 2:18:29 AM

snatoli said:
hey all just wondering what is better cpu and what motherboard to pair it with for a gameing spec.

AMD's Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz

15-661 clarkdale 3.33ghz

I see them as different, but comparable, depending on the game.
Most games do not use more than two cores, favoring the 660(why pay extra for the 661 with a faster graphics which you will not be using for gaming?)
For games which are capable of using 4 cores, then the X4 might be better.

Remember, clock rates do not tell all.
The Intel will do more per clock than Amd, and the sandy bridge will be yet another 15% faster per clock.

But--- I think I would stretch the budget a bit for a sandy bridge of any type.
The 2500K is as good as it gets, particularly if you will do a small overclock.

You will suffer buyer's remorse if you get anything else.
m
l
February 27, 2011 2:26:30 AM

at a certain point performance stops mattering ... right now i've got an 965 BE by AMD .. there are currently no PC games on the market that i can't play on high settings combined with my ATI HD 6870 ....

Does INTEL make faster processors than what i currently have ? yep they sure do ... but do i need a lotus to drive back and forth to work everyday ? nope ..
m
l
February 27, 2011 2:35:50 AM

thanks for all the reply's they were very helpful,
ye i think the sandy bridge will be a bit outta my price range so ill just decide weather ima overclock or not
cheers
m
l
February 27, 2011 3:29:23 AM

Sandy bridge processors aren't really more expensive than the i5-661 but they are much better.

And honestly, the Core i5-6xx series was pretty much pointless since its release, and now it is even more pointless.

If you want to go for Phenom II X4 then the 955 BE is currently the best value, no need for the 965 BE.
m
l
February 27, 2011 4:09:09 AM

i5 is the best gaming cpu ever released... dont forget that.
m
l
February 27, 2011 4:22:17 AM

Since your buying a motherboard and processor go for a Sandy Bridge. Something like the 2500K($ 15 more than the 661) will own the 661 and 965.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 5:07:40 AM

bro if you do not buy the i5 2500K you are making a huge mistake.... it is not even in the same league as the i5 6xx or the phenom II..... for approximately $50-100 more...(probably closer to 50...)

why would you not get a cpu thats at i7 980x level for that much money?

you will have huge buyers remorse if you do not get the only logical choice; sandybridge.
m
l
February 27, 2011 5:23:17 AM

amirp said:
bro if you do not buy the i5 2500K you are making a huge mistake.... it is not even in the same league as the i5 6xx or the phenom II..... for approximately $50-100 more...(probably closer to 50...)

why would you not get a cpu thats at i7 980x level for that much money?

you will have huge buyers remorse if you do not get the only logical choice; sandybridge.

Seriously, dude, I have seen you worshiping Sandy Bridge in like half a dozen threads now.

I get it, we all get it, SB is a great architecture... but to claim that it's the be-all and end-all neglects that AMD has yet to roll out its next heavy-hitters. Who knows? Maybe the new Bulldozer CPUs will finally give Core i's a run for their money.
m
l

Best solution

February 27, 2011 2:08:07 PM

At this point if you are buying a new system it would definitely be foolish to buy an AMD setup if you can wait a week or two for SB motherboards to come out. "Hey guys I'm going to buy the old processors and motherboards that are much slower for the same price."

Even without Sandy Bridge Intel has much better solutions for gaming.

If you're determined to get a motherboard and processor soon, the i5-760 and LGA 1156 setup will be faster than any AMD setup and be of comparable cost. It is much faster than even the 1100T for gaming. If you live close to a MicroCenter they had the i7-950 on sale for $200.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 2:58:06 PM

sorry, I meant to have said you have two choices, either get sandy bridge or wait to see what BD is about, I apologize for that (lol and since you are following me closely I think I said that to other people too....).

But honestly you can't tell me that by saving about $100 to get an older AMD system now he is making the right decision.... sandy bridge IS great... I am not worshiping anything lol....

I am not a fanboy, it really is an amazing processor at a good price...

and when you say "we all get it"... the people starting these threads clearly don't...
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2011 3:33:25 PM

Best thing to do is wait for 6 weeks or so and let the landscape shape out if you want to be on the 'cutting edge'. If you do not wish to pay that 'latest & greatest' new-tech surcharge ...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition / HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB: $400 (before $30 rebate)

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX: $165 (before $20 rebate)

$565 - $50 = $515

You should be good for quite a while. In 18 months or so (or essentially when the HD6950 2GB goes EOL) it will be decision time --- your options will be many.

1) CrossFire with another HD6950 2GB on the MSI 790FX;
2) CrossFire the HD6950 2GB on an AM3+ 990FX motherboard (with your PhII 955BE & DDR3 RAMs);
3) Sell the HD6950 2GB and purchase Southern Islands - or whatever-da-sheet nVidia is doing with Kepler/Maxwell; or
4) CrossFire the HD6950 2GB on an AM3+ 990FX motherboard (with a BD Zambezi & your DDR3 RAMs) ...

I think you get the picture :lol:  The 790FX will take any graphics you throw at it and chortle back at yah --- keep an eye out for some hot deals. I snagged an Asus M4A79T Deluxe 790FX 6-8 weeks ago for $94! The north bridge has 36 PCIe Gen2 lanes and will CF at x16/x16 (leaving you x4 lanes for a USB3/SATA 6GB/s controller if you are so inclined).

I prefer snatching up high-end last-generation stuff when the prices drop (primarily due to the initial rush to adopt the 'latest and greatest' by enthusiasts).

amirp said:
sorry, I meant to have said you have two choices, either get sandy bridge or wait to see what BD is about, I apologize for that (lol and since you are following me closely I think I said that to other people too....).

But honestly you can't tell me that by saving about $100 to get an older AMD system now he is making the right decision.... sandy bridge IS great... I am not worshiping anything lol....

I am not a fanboy, it really is an amazing processor at a good price...

and when you say "we all get it"... the people starting these threads clearly don't...

Hyperbole aside, the OP asked a genuine legitimate question. Clarksdale/1156 is a fine gaming platform regardless of SB/1155.

The issue I see is that as time passes Intel doesn't lower prices to move stock nearly as aggressively as AMD (see C2Ds and quads as an example). No one is questioning your 'worship' of Chipzilla -- just the 'wisdom' of some of your pronouncements.

As my example above --- I got the Asus 790FX and a PhII 945 (currently chugging at 3.6GHz / 1.39v) for $200. Find me an SB/1155 combo with 36 PCIe lanes off the NB for that price. What you see as a piddling $100 I see the difference between a GTX 460 and an HD6950 2GB ...

Once again SB is great -- but it ain't so great as to ""$ for $"" make up that difference. Sorry you can not see that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 4:32:24 PM

All im saying is whatever computer anybody decides on getting regardless of the graphic card... why not add the ******* $100 (approximately , there are no mobos out for me to price)... and get a better, longer lasting system....

unless spending the extra $100 means compromising on a really poor graphic card I really don't see how somebody building a $600 system can't just build a $700 system.... for a pretty good gain...

This is my opinion, and If you have to be stingy about it and buy a phenom then go ahead lol...

and the 6950 is a great card. I agree with that.... why would I argue with that lol?....

also its been shown many times by toms... a x8 x8 crossfire/sli is pretty much identical in performance to the full out x16x16....

m
l
February 28, 2011 3:52:29 AM

cheers again, i think i will get the i5 SB but what are you talking about waiting for the motherboard. Are they bringing one out for the SB soon?
m
l
February 28, 2011 4:12:45 AM

Maybe; we've been telling people to wait for over a month now. They will be expensive and short of availability at first.
m
l
February 28, 2011 6:14:08 AM

ok so is there another Motherboard then that will be great and wont be overrun by the new one or do u think it is worth waiting for it?
m
l
March 7, 2011 5:47:33 AM

Best answer selected by snatoli.
m
l
!