Just to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I just wanted to be totaly clear on this. If I have 2 HD 3850 256mb cards in my machine running crossfire I can just by one say HD 5770 1 gig card and put it in correct, and that should boost my graphics alot?

Chazzman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I guess I asked the wrong question I want to take both of the old cards and just put in 1 card at 1 gig will that work or do both slot have to have cards in them? Sorry I am kinda new at the whole crossfire thing.

Also I wanted to put one of the old cards in another computer but the computer I want to put it in has a PCIE X16 slot and the HD 3850 is a PCIE 2.0 card. From what I have read just to clarify all the pcie slote are backwards and forwards compatible correct?

Just because its a crossfire board dosent mean it has to have two cards in it one will work just fine.
The PCIE slot shouldnt matter about 99.9% of them are compatable but the odd one used to have isseus with a very few motherboards, you should be fine.

Mactronix :)

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah you'll be fine Chazzman. As Mact stated, just because it's a Crossfire motherboard, you don't have to have two video cards in there! That just means it has the ABILITY to do so. : )

Also, the only issue in regards to compatibility for video cards and slots is if you try to put a PCI-E 2.1 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot. But this isn't the case for you I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.