• CPUs
  • Core
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2011 1:13:51 AM

AMD Phenom II X6 1055 T is 6 core but 2.8 Ghz
X4 955 BE is 4 core but 3.4Ghz.

Which one would be faster? 955 is cheaper than 1055. My main purpose is gaming. :) 

More about : phenom 1055t 955

February 27, 2011 1:53:05 AM

The phenom ii x6 is a great bang for the buck processor. 6 Cores of power is hard to pass up for the price. I'd go with the phenom ii x6 - it will overall be better for gaming.
m
l
a c 379 à CPUs
February 27, 2011 2:22:20 AM

Few games use more than two cores, certainly not more than 4. For gaming, 6 cores is a waste, sacrificing clock speed for more cores.
In your price range, stretch a bit for a 2500K. There is nothing better for gaming.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2011 2:23:49 AM

nismo9132 said:
The phenom ii x6 is a great bang for the buck processor. 6 Cores of power is hard to pass up for the price. I'd go with the phenom ii x6 - it will overall be better for gaming.

This is incorrect -- for gaming, it is important that each utilized core has as high a clock speed as possible. That said, the 955 runs at higher clocks, and since games are just now implementing quad-core functionality and are still getting optimized for dual core systems, there is no use for the extra cores -- they do NOTHING to increase the games' performance.

OP, think of a gaming rig as a highway, and programs as delivery trucks; in the computing 'world', things get wider to carry more stuff rather than longer. Okay, this is a horrible analogy, but basically games are just now starting to get 4 'lanes' (cores) 'wide'. Having a hex core is like having extra lanes -- it does nothing to make the truck go faster.
m
l
February 27, 2011 2:32:50 AM

i'd go with the 4 core procressor if your thinking about gaming ....

right now with the economy so bad , i doubt most game developers are going to move away from dual core processors for a long LONG time .... they need as wide a consumer base as they can get ...
m
l
February 27, 2011 3:00:20 AM

More cores, more options. Right now you can get by with less cores for gaming. However, at the present, if you decide to do any video encoding at all, more cores equals more speed and power.

The more cores you have, the more tasks you can run in the background while you are gaming, without a slowdown.

I think you could go with the X4 and be happy, but you give yourself more options if you add 2 more cores, and go with the II X6 1055.

m
l
February 27, 2011 3:07:46 AM

deadmeow said:
More cores, more options. Right now you can get by with less cores for gaming. However, at the present, if you decide to do any video encoding at all, more cores equals more speed and power.

The more cores you have, the more tasks you can run in the background while you are gaming, without a slowdown.

I think you could go with the X4 and be happy, but you give yourself more options if you add 2 more cores, and go with the II X6 1055.

His main purpose is gaming.

There is no reason whatsoever for him to get the hex core CPU.

By the time games have fully used quad-core CPUs and move on to hex or octa-core setups, he'll be able to afford an upgrade to hex or octa as needed.

But since he is gaming, his best choice is to get the higher-clocking (especially OCed) X4.
m
l
February 27, 2011 4:12:37 AM

thanks for all the replies. it really helped a lot. so i would go with x4 955 BE!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2011 5:11:15 AM

If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 (or less...depending on motherboard/ram costs etc.) buy the sandy bridge....i5 2500K,

how can you pass up a processor at i7 980x levels....that can be overclocked to 4.5ghz+ on air.... for only a small increase in price (small in terms of the longevity of the thing compared to a phenom II)

IMO the 2500K is your only logical choice... either that or wait for bulldozer...
m
l
February 27, 2011 5:15:58 AM

amirp said:
If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 (or less...depending on motherboard/ram costs etc.) buy the sandy bridge....i5 2500K,

how can you pass up a processor at i7 980x levels....that can be overclocked to 4.5ghz+ on air.... for only a small increase in price (small in terms of the longevity of the thing compared to a phenom II)

IMO the 2500K is your only logical choice... either that or wait for bulldozer...

He's asking for a CPU, nothing else.

The choices he offered were two AMD cores.

I sincerely doubt he has an Intel motherboard.
m
l
February 27, 2011 5:22:46 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
He's asking for a CPU, nothing else.

The choices he offered were two AMD cores.

I sincerely doubt he has an Intel motherboard.

im going to buy a cheap motherboard with the processor.
m
l
February 27, 2011 5:24:10 AM

mercuryman24 said:
im going to buy a cheap motherboard with the processor.

Cheap, you say?

I'd like to see this motherboard's specs...
m
l
February 27, 2011 11:30:17 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
Cheap, you say?

I'd like to see this motherboard's specs...

m3a770de

ddr3 ram
crossfirex
am3 x6 support

m
l
February 27, 2011 11:47:17 AM

mercuryman24 said:
m3a770de

ddr3 ram
crossfirex
am3 x6 support

Quote:
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (green @ x16 mode, orange @ x4 mode)

Oh, no, no, no.

This isn't actually a Crossfire-good board. I mean, you could Crossfire, but at 4x-4x, you will have miserable performance. Get a 955 and a better motherboard, unless you don't plan to Crossfire in the future.
m
l
February 27, 2011 12:23:13 PM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
Quote:
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (green @ x16 mode, orange @ x4 mode)

Oh, no, no, no.

This isn't actually a Crossfire-good board. I mean, you could Crossfire, but at 4x-4x, you will have miserable performance. Get a 955 and a better motherboard, unless you don't plan to Crossfire in the future.

theb givr me. better motherboard wih. crossfire support. ddr3 and overclocking support.
m
l
February 27, 2011 2:10:36 PM

Why not i5-760 + LGA 1156? Far better for gaming than Phenom II + AM3.
m
l
February 28, 2011 2:44:22 AM

minitron815 said:
Why not i5-760 + LGA 1156? Far better for gaming than Phenom II + AM3.

Wow, umm yeah.... Maybe he already has a AM2 or AM3 board he wants to use... Maybe money is a issue, and he doesn't have the full $200 for the i5-760, along with the extra blow for a really solid LGA 1156 motherboard. At any rate, he didn't ask in any sort of way about swapping over to a full Intel platform, he only asked about the two AMD cpus, so why not just stick to the subject at hand??? Honestly either the Phenom II X6 1055T or X4 955 would be fine for games, though I would go for the X4 955 since you can save some cash. The performance is great on the 955 as is anyway in games, and they are only about $140 or so. As said prior, nab one and put the extra blow towards a better graphics card when you get the chance. You wont regret it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 3:27:00 AM

sorry bro... you're wrong about the SLI/CF support on that board, it would work but only at 16x/4x speeds... which is useless
m
l
February 28, 2011 3:40:18 AM

minitron815 said:
"im going to buy a cheap motherboard with the processor. "

No you fail; he is buying a new motherboard and processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Beat this i5-760 + LGA 1156 with SLI/CF support for $300 - 20 MIR.

AMD fanboys for the fail.

minitron815 said:
Oh well; go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... + the i5-760 for $315.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Phenom II X4 955@$139.99

MSI NF750-G55@$64.99 after mail-in rebate

MSI 870-G45@$69.99

MSI 870S-G54@$84.99 after mail-in rebate

Oh gee wow, that was really hard. At $224.98 for the most expensive board I listed, along with the X4 955, he is still able to pocket between $55 to $90 compared to what combos you recommended, which he can then put towards another graphics card, ram, hard drive, etc, and still can run games great. And I mean, there are plenty of other AM3 Crossfire boards with diff prices up on newegg, not just the ones I listed, so he can shop around on there and prob do better then what I listed. So what are you going to do next, recommend him some nice expensive car insurance that offers more coverage then he would ever need, just because its what you prefer, then badger him to death when he tells you he saved money with Geico?

m
l
February 28, 2011 3:48:19 AM

Well I'd like to know that my processor will be able to power through games 2-3 years from now which I doubt the 955 will. Crossfire that with 6990s...

Quite honestly for $90 more the i5 beats the piss out of the Phenom II (any of them).
m
l
February 28, 2011 4:04:52 AM

minitron815 said:
Well I'd like to know that my processor will be able to power through games 2-3 years from now which I doubt the 955 will. Crossfire that with 6990s...

Quite honestly for $90 more the i5 beats the piss out of the Phenom II (any of them).

Sorry, but you just come off sounding like a moron who just keeps spitting out assumptions every other post. Considering he sounds like he is trying to save money, I don't think buying a pair of as of yet unreleased HD 6990 cards is his primary goal, nor do we know if a Phenom II x4, let alone a i5-760, can push them fine or not yet. As far as gaming 2-3 years from now goes with the 955, the same will probably apply to the i5-760. Either they will both still cut it, or they wont. Personally I think either cpu will be fine, considering games being released now really don't stress out the 4 core cpus too badly as is. By the time 3 years comes around, he may just do a new build anyway, as most serious gamers do.
m
l
February 28, 2011 4:09:33 AM

"Personally I think either cpu will be fine, considering games being released now really don't stress out the 4 core cpus too badly as is."

Who's spitting out assumptions?

Nobody can see 1 year into the future but this we do know; the i5-760 is significantly faster than the 955 and is much more likely to handle future games.
m
l
February 28, 2011 4:21:13 AM

minitron815 said:
"Personally I think either cpu will be fine, considering games being released now really don't stress out the 4 core cpus too badly as is."

Who's spitting out assumptions?

Nobody can see 1 year into the future but this we do know; the i5-760 is significantly faster than the 955 and is much more likely to handle future games.

What I have said is based on the current trend in computer games. Most stuff out right now will run perfectly fine on single graphics card configurations with a fast clocked 2 or 3 core cpu. I do not think things are going to change to much up until the 3 year mark, other then the fact they will finally start to utilize 4 cores more and more in games as time goes by. And this still partly depends on if we keep seeing a trend of console ports of games being released capped at 30-60 fps, or titles not designed to push the higher end systems. Keep in mind, the common attitude these days is for developers/publishers to release games normal people can play on common mainstream and budget gaming systems, not just the elite builds built by the less common ultra enthusiast with the unlimited budget.
m
l
!