Sign in with
Your question

Justify upgrade to x6

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2010 2:38:02 PM

Hello firslt il just post the system specs which i want to replace.

intel E6400 2.13ghz
2X1gb of DDR2 cosair ram and 1X2gb OCZ ram both at at 800mhz

Gigabyte 965P-DS4 mobo (which is 1066fsb, PCI e 1.0, ram max at 800, sata 3gbs)
creative xfi gaming card
nvidia 9600 gt

so I have been eyeing a system upgrade this xmas for £274
which comprises of

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 - AMD 870 ( PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2000(OC) - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA)

Corsair 1600mhz C9 2 x 2GB DDR3

Now i just want to know if this upgrade is worth it, will this upgrade pull me out of the ditches with games? i have run a gtx 470 on it and there is some improvement in fps, but but i dont know if its being used to the full advantage as its limited to pci 1.0 standards.

it was predicted that pci 3.0 will arrive this xmas, but its a no show, and already ati and nvidia have brought out their new model graphics cards, so i doubt pci 3.o will come untill nvidia release there 6 series and ati their 7.

does it make sense to just upgrade the gpu even though the port is old?
hence the cpu and mobo upgrade first followed by a a gpu upgrade later.

so again will i get NOTICEABLY better performance with the new rig?

because a lot of reviews compare X4, i5 and i7 to the X6, and it makes it hard to tell how much of an increase i would get.

my 3D mark Vantage "perfomance" score for the CPU with PPU off is "3664".
what kind of results should i expect from the new rig? (if anyone has an X6)

I welcome all comments and thank you in advance, it will help me a great deal not to waste any money.
P.S. overclocking is not an option.

More about : justify upgrade

December 1, 2010 2:54:26 PM

the phenom II x6 often will not out preform a phenom II x4 . very few programs and games will even utilize 3 cores let alone 6. now the x6 does boost 3 cores performance when not in use but its still 6 physical cores on a 45nm die

really either would work just fine but the only reason they compare the i7 to x6 is due to programs like photoshop and workhorse threaded programs where the extra physical cores do really help, gaming not so much

as for pci express 3.0 really the pci express 2.1 is not saturated by anythign as it is, i forsee us being 2-3 years before anythign even pushes the pci 2.1 enough to justify the leap to 3.0 and even then probably another year before its even worth while to make the jump if there is a price premium attached

now as you stated on the cpu you are nto willign to upgrade when the x6 is using 3 cores it auto upclocks the 3 for better performance so that might be justifyable for ya as a bonus vs the x4 but still it'd depend on the price diffeence.. i'd probably just get a high clocked x4 though
!