Possible BIOS problem

shep66

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
This is a bit of an odd problem but I'm really hoping someone knows the root cause. For the second time in 6 months my PC wouldn't start. 6 months ago it happened after I fitted the CPU cooler, which involved pulling everything apart and fitting a backing plate to the mobo. This time I'd left the PC idle and it went into power saving mode (sleep). It doesn't actually shut down but some devices do. When I came back I tried to re-start it as it wasn't responding. The front panel works fine, so I'd start/ re-start the computer, the optical drive light flashes, the fans all spin, the mobo power light stays on, but no HDD light, no beeps, no POST whatsoever. After pulling it all apart, putting it back together again and checking all the connections I figured it must be a BIOS problem. As a last resort I cleared the CMOS jumper and, hey ho, it's now as good as gold.

As it's a home build, I figure I've done something wrong between the power saving configuration and the BIOS settings. I updated the BIOS 6 months ago to the latest version and I've left the default settings, which are:
BIOS version 2204 (28/08/09)
Power settings:
Suspend Mode [Auto]
Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]
ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]
ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
APM configuration is all [Disabled]

The power saving setting is 'Balanced':
Turn off the display after 5 minutes
Put the computer to sleep after 12 minutes

I could be barking up the wrong tree but it's worth a try.

Thanks

System spec:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Asus P5QSE Plus mobo
Zalman 9900 NTPS CPU cooler (brilliant piece of kit)
2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM
Intel Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Asus ENGTX480
WD 450GB Velociraptor system drive
Corsair 750TX PSU

This time I'd left the PC idle and it went into power saving mode (sleep). It doesn't actually shut down but some devices do. When I came back I tried to re-start it as it wasn't responding

hi , look like you have problem with hibernation sleep mode, and do NOT let HD to go to sleep.

I always disable because it doesn't work most of the time. (got similar no response from computer)

but the fact that you have to clear cmos, put computer apart and rebuild it is really odd.

Before putting the computer apart and putting it back together have you tried to push the power button more than 5 seconds for a hard reset?

shep66

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

Yes, I've done all that and then some. I don't think pulling it apart & putting it back together made any difference; it was just the CMOS jumper that fixed it.

Thanks for you help though. I've made sure nothing goes to sleep now and hopefully that will sort it out.

Cheers!