A cheaper Solution for Epson R200 inks

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 18, 2005 3:17:16 PM

Yes, I have rocks in my head for buying another Epson printer, but I
did. However this time when the heads clog I bring it back to staples
and let them deal with it.

I have noticed that this printer is an incredible ink hog, much more
thirsty than my 870. And unlike any other photo printer I have ever
used, it uses Black at a higher rate than the color. I do almost no
document printing, I buy a printer for photos.

A full ink set is ridiculously expensive, although I should keep
better records as to what I print so I can determine somewhat my ink
usage. I doubt I have printed 10 full 8X10 yet and I have almost used
an entire ink set, this sounds pretty excessive to me.

Be that as it may. I am not sure how to go with this. Is anyone
successfully re inking these cartridges?

Or is anyone using a cart set that as far as you can tell gives you
good results. The problem here is that it may be to early to tell
about longevity.

Or has anyone found a cheaper source of Epson carts?

Any thoughs will be appreciated.

Thanks
Barry
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:38:55 PM

B&B Musmon puts on the robe and wizard hat... HARRRRRRRRRR:

> Yes, I have rocks in my head for buying another Epson printer, but I
> did. However this time when the heads clog I bring it back to staples
> and let them deal with it.
>
> I have noticed that this printer is an incredible ink hog, much more
> thirsty than my 870. And unlike any other photo printer I have ever
> used, it uses Black at a higher rate than the color. I do almost no
> document printing, I buy a printer for photos.

I would say.. don;t print on BEST or whatever the setting is. The one
down seems to produce the same results but with less ink.

Odd about your black.. my R800 is using more magenta and yellow. Black
is fine.

--
Dave

Get me away from here I’m dying
Play me a song to set me free
January 18, 2005 8:38:56 PM

"David Beamish" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:Xns95E2B388FDC6Emeprivacynet120@130.133.1.4...
> B&B Musmon puts on the robe and wizard hat... HARRRRRRRRRR:
>
> > Yes, I have rocks in my head for buying another Epson printer, but I
> > did. However this time when the heads clog I bring it back to staples
> > and let them deal with it.
> >
> > I have noticed that this printer is an incredible ink hog, much more
> > thirsty than my 870. And unlike any other photo printer I have ever
> > used, it uses Black at a higher rate than the color. I do almost no
> > document printing, I buy a printer for photos.
> >

> I would say.. don;t print on BEST or whatever the setting is. The one
> down seems to produce the same results but with less ink.
>
> Odd about your black.. my R800 is using more magenta and yellow. Black
> is fine.

Download SSCSERVE from here: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Long live the Russians.
Related resources
January 19, 2005 12:26:23 AM

I also have a R200 which I use for cd printing (labels ) a lot and I use JET
TEC cart's they work out at £7.99 each for colour and £9.99 black and
results?? well as good as epson's own in my opinion
Griff

"B&B Musmon" <barrym@tdstelme.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I have rocks in my head for buying another Epson printer, but I
> did. However this time when the heads clog I bring it back to staples
> and let them deal with it.
>
> I have noticed that this printer is an incredible ink hog, much more
> thirsty than my 870. And unlike any other photo printer I have ever
> used, it uses Black at a higher rate than the color. I do almost no
> document printing, I buy a printer for photos.
>
> A full ink set is ridiculously expensive, although I should keep
> better records as to what I print so I can determine somewhat my ink
> usage. I doubt I have printed 10 full 8X10 yet and I have almost used
> an entire ink set, this sounds pretty excessive to me.
>
> Be that as it may. I am not sure how to go with this. Is anyone
> successfully re inking these cartridges?
>
> Or is anyone using a cart set that as far as you can tell gives you
> good results. The problem here is that it may be to early to tell
> about longevity.
>
> Or has anyone found a cheaper source of Epson carts?
>
> Any thoughs will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:11:33 PM

BG puts on the robe and wizard hat... HARRRRRRRRRR:

> I also have a R200 which I use for cd printing (labels ) a lot and I
> use JET TEC cart's they work out at £7.99 each for colour and £9.99
> black and results?? well as good as epson's own in my opinion
> Griff

but the epson inks are only £9.99 anyway each aren't they?

--
Dave

Get me away from here I’m dying
Play me a song to set me free
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:56:26 PM

>A full ink set is ridiculously expensive, although I should keep
>better records as to what I print so I can determine somewhat my ink
>usage. I doubt I have printed 10 full 8X10 yet and I have almost used
>an entire ink set, this sounds pretty excessive to me.

Someone suggested that Epson doesn't ship with full ink carts, how
cheezy. The guy that sold me the printer said that was the case, but
I thought it was so he could sell me $90 worth of carts. If it was
half empty, wouldn't they come up on the display as half used? They
didn't they came up full, which meant to me that it was full.

Thanks
Barry
January 19, 2005 2:58:34 PM

In article <9m7tu0lt0smsnhc22293pjfaavurqk06ck@4ax.com>, barrym@tdstelme.net
says...
> Someone suggested that Epson doesn't ship with full ink carts, how
> cheezy. The guy that sold me the printer said that was the case, but
> I thought it was so he could sell me $90 worth of carts. If it was
> half empty, wouldn't they come up on the display as half used? They
> didn't they came up full, which meant to me that it was full.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

The Epsons come with a full set of FULL cartridges, BUT >>>>> The very first
set of cartridges gets partially used up by the initial priming of the entire
print system.

Never listen to an office supply salesman... If he new ANYTHING at all he
wouldn't be working where he is.

The next set will last a lot longer.

The only printer company that EVER shipped with half empty carts is HP (they
did it with all the printers that used #15 black and the equally huge
matching color cart.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

B&B Musmon wrote:
[]
> Someone suggested that Epson doesn't ship with full ink carts, how
> cheezy.

In the UK you get the six cartridges with the R300.

David
January 19, 2005 8:50:48 PM

--

Barry,

Your 200 is using far too much ink - I'd get Epson to take a look.

I print A4 photos and brochures and the cartridges last for ages.

I use IMjet compatibles www.imjet.com in my own R200 - which are sold for
£2 each on a local market, the colours are barely discernable from Epsom
originals.

At £12 a full set you will be an extremely happy camper.

HTH
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:29:18 AM

Well, many cartridges come in two sizes, the half-filled and the
completely-filled. The half-filled version's typically packed in, and
sometimes sold alongside the completely filled version.

It's probably fair for it to report "I'm a half-filled at 85 percent" instead
of "I'm a completely-filled at 42 percent"

--
Marada Shra'drakaii
January 20, 2005 12:29:19 AM

In article <20050119162918.11729.00000125@mb-m03.aol.com>,
fouldragon@aol.com.ru says...
> Well, many cartridges come in two sizes, the half-filled and the
> completely-filled. The half-filled version's typically packed in, and
> sometimes sold alongside the completely filled version.
>
> It's probably fair for it to report "I'm a half-filled at 85 percent" instead
> of "I'm a completely-filled at 42 percent"
>
> --
> Marada Shra'drakaii

I dont know about the situation World Wide, but I know that in the US the
only manufacturer that used partially filled cartridges WAS HP. I say WAS
because they no longer do it. (you can still purchase the "low capacity"
cartridges, but they have no new printers that use them and the newer
printers use MUCH smaller cartridges wwhich are full to start with.

Epson hasn't done it, and Canon hasn't done it.. though Lexmark may have.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

B&B Musmon wrote:
> Yes, I have rocks in my head for buying another Epson printer, but I
> did. However this time when the heads clog I bring it back to
staples
> and let them deal with it.
>
> I have noticed that this printer is an incredible ink hog, much more
> thirsty than my 870. And unlike any other photo printer I have ever
> used, it uses Black at a higher rate than the color. I do almost no
> document printing, I buy a printer for photos.
>
> A full ink set is ridiculously expensive, although I should keep
> better records as to what I print so I can determine somewhat my ink
> usage. I doubt I have printed 10 full 8X10 yet and I have almost
used
> an entire ink set, this sounds pretty excessive to me.
>
> Be that as it may. I am not sure how to go with this. Is anyone
> successfully re inking these cartridges?
>
> Or is anyone using a cart set that as far as you can tell gives you
> good results. The problem here is that it may be to early to tell
> about longevity.
>
> Or has anyone found a cheaper source of Epson carts?
>
> Any thoughs will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

I pronounce your head "rock-free" . . . at least where printers are
concerned ;)  Epson makes excellent printers, and the R200 is a very
good choice. For both the up front cost of $85 or so (often with hefty
rebates for the diligent) and the price of inks (which are available in
several generic forms AND the prices are falling), there is not a
better printer on the market IMO for photos. And unlike my previous
two Epsons (820 and 785EPX), I've yet to have the heads clog on the
R200. I've cleaned them a couple of times, but only after about 2
weeks of inactivity. That's HUGE to me, because while I loved the
quality of the 785EPX, that head-clogging was driving me absolutely
nuts.

As for cheaper ink, try Printpal (www.printpal.com) They are an
excellent online vendor. Their carts for the R200 are $6.95 (color)
and $7.95 (black) each and UPS Ground shipping is Free. That's a very
good deal. And their inks are top quality. I'm not sure about your
ink usage. I don't do a lot of 8x10s, so I don't have a good feel for
what you're experiencing. I can only say that after owning 6-7 inkjets
over the past few years (Canon, HP, Lexmark, and Epson), the R200 seems
very reasonable on ink usage. I know that's not very scientific, but I
quit trying to figure cost-per-page a long time ago.

jakesnake
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:42:33 PM

> I pronounce your head "rock-free" . . . at least where printers are
> concerned ;)  Epson makes excellent printers, and the R200 is a very
> good choice. For both the up front cost of $85 or so (often with hefty
> rebates for the diligent) and the price of inks (which are available in
> several generic forms AND the prices are falling), there is not a
> better printer on the market IMO for photos. And unlike my previous
> two Epsons (820 and 785EPX), I've yet to have the heads clog on the
> R200. I've cleaned them a couple of times, but only after about 2
> weeks of inactivity. That's HUGE to me, because while I loved the
> quality of the 785EPX, that head-clogging was driving me absolutely
> nuts.

Can anyone else comment on the less head clogging of the R200? I have the
820 Photo. It makes great photos but I dread turning it on, knowing the
wasted ink and cleaning cycles just to get it going.
Thanks
January 30, 2005 6:27:30 PM

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> > I pronounce your head "rock-free" . . . at least where printers are
> > concerned ;)  Epson makes excellent printers, and the R200 is a very
> > good choice. For both the up front cost of $85 or so (often with hefty
> > rebates for the diligent) and the price of inks (which are available in
> > several generic forms AND the prices are falling), there is not a
> > better printer on the market IMO for photos. And unlike my previous
> > two Epsons (820 and 785EPX), I've yet to have the heads clog on the
> > R200. I've cleaned them a couple of times, but only after about 2
> > weeks of inactivity. That's HUGE to me, because while I loved the
> > quality of the 785EPX, that head-clogging was driving me absolutely
> > nuts.
>
> Can anyone else comment on the less head clogging of the R200? I have the
> 820 Photo. It makes great photos but I dread turning it on, knowing the
> wasted ink and cleaning cycles just to get it going.
> Thanks

FWIW, I read dozens of user reviews on the R200 prior to purchasing it, and
over and over I saw the same thing: The R200 clogs much, much less than
previous Epson inkjets like the 820 and 785EPX. For example, I haven't
printed on my R200 for several days. I just ran a nozzle check with no
warm-up, and it was perfect. That would NEVER have happened on my 820 or
785.

jake
!