Sign in with
Your question

Bandwidth Shaping

Last response: in Networking
June 1, 2010 6:14:37 AM

Basically, I live with my parents, and they're complaining that their connection is running slow because of my constant network usage. I want to shape myself down to only 1/3 of the full downstream provided by the ISP so I don't kill their's. Does anyone know of a free program that will allow me to do this? I only want it done to my PC. If there's a way I can do it in my router (Billion BiPAC 7401VGP-M) it would be preferable.

More about : bandwidth shaping

June 1, 2010 1:16:27 PM

violentlyhappy91 said:
Basically, I live with my parents, and they're complaining that their connection is running slow because of my constant network usage. I want to shape myself down to only 1/3 of the full downstream provided by the ISP so I don't kill their's. Does anyone know of a free program that will allow me to do this? I only want it done to my PC. If there's a way I can do it in my router (Billion BiPAC 7401VGP-M) it would be preferable.

Not for automatic shaping but ideal for monitoring, there's a little utility called NetMeter which will do what you want in your own computer without touching teh router. If you wish to monitor other PCs, install it in those as well. You can download it free of charge from this site http://www.hootech.com/NetMeter/.

It's pretty accurate and no threat to your system at all. Remember, though, just reading this reply counts as a download.

June 3, 2010 8:50:55 PM

its pretty hard to have a large impact unless you are running several connections at once, like a torrent. If that is the case, set speed limits in your torrent program.
!