• Computer
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 9:30:02 PM

Hello,

My 8800GTX card expired about a week ago and after a bit of research I purchased a GTX460 1024mb card to replace it.

However, my computer also has an old PhysX card that came installed along with the 8800GTX. I believe the newer nvidia cards come with built-in physx making my old physx card redundant. Should I take it out as well? I would rather simply remove it if it will save on conflicts/headaches later on.

Also, are there any drivers directly associated with my old PhysX card that need to be manually uninstalled?

Thanks greatly in advance for any advice you can offer!

Alex

More about : 8800gtx physx card moving gtx460

a c 273 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 9:36:15 PM

I don't think the Ageia cards are even supported any more so just pull it out and when you install the new drivers choose the "clean install" option and that will remove the old PhysX software and install the new version.
m
l
a c 118 U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 9:36:32 PM

Even your 8800GTX could do Physx with cuda.

It is up to you if you want to keep both.

Do you play allot of games with Physx? If you do, it may be worth doing some benchmarks to see what works best for you.

Quote:
AGEIA PhysX processors users should use and install older PhysX system software such as version 8.09.04. Note – AGEIA PPU acceleration support for 2.8.1 SDK or earlier, and Windows Vista and Windows XP only.

Yeah, maybe just take it out...
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2010 9:38:24 PM

I'd use it for Physx just for the hell of it. That's what i did with my GTS 250. lol. Helped alot with Metro 2033 xDD
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2010 11:13:07 PM

Thanks for the help!

No I don't really utilize a lot of physics ... I would rather have everything working smoothly than risk any conflicts or annoyances for better rendering (... i don't think 'rendering' is the right word here sorry, but you get it).

Clean install it is ... pulling the old out right now :) 

Thank you kindly!
m
l
!